"Idol" Censorship? P!nk Told to Change Lyrics

5/9/2007 2:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

P!nk"American Idol" may be able to tell their contestants what they can and can't sing, but they can't censor P!nk!

P!nk's pre-taped performance of her song "Who Knew" is scheduled to air tonight on "Idol" (after being bumped from the "Idol Gives Back" charity episode), but TMZ has learned that the pop star was originally set to sing her current racy hit, "U + Ur Hand."

We're told when the "Idol" powers-that-be realized the song made references to self-love, they asked P!nk to alter the lyrics to make them more appropriate for the "family-friendly" show. You know, like an exhumed Elvis! Well-placed sources tell TMZ that P!nk wasn't willing to compromise her artistic integrity (you go girl!) and agreed to sing her last single, "Who Knew," instead.

If "Idol" really wanted to protect audiences, there's only one person they should have censored -- Sanjaya!

An "Idol" rep had no comment. A call to P!nk's rep was not immediately returned.

Ted

Pink is another twisted hollywood types making money off your kids. With stupid songs. If she read this post, i'm sure she would laugh cuz she gets all your hard earned money and all she does is sing bs songs.

Gambler777

Way to go Pink!! You rock!!! Thanks for keeping it real.
Good to see 'U and Your Hand' is finally getting the recognition in the USA that it has already received here in Canada and other parts of the world.

ONE WHO KNOWS

NUMBER 12, ALSO KNOWN AS JENN----

IT IS OBVIOUS YOU HAVE NO SELF RESPECT, AND THAT YOU ARE NOT A REAL LADY.

I THINK I HEARD YOUR PIMP CALLING YOU............

Traycee

I'm glad she stood her ground! I'm sure FOX knows that her lyrics aren't rated G. At least they didn't ask her NOT to perform at all. Go Pink...you rock!

jo

THANKS Idol! I'm so tired of the sex trash in every show, commercial, song, etc.
A lot of families watch Idol. It's about time someone stands up to these Mega
Stars who think they're god.

JEWISH PRINCESS

Good for Pink! I think she's terrific and I love the song! How many times have we felt the exact same way?!
If I was Pink, I'd start "Who Knew" and then pull the ol' switcheroo & sing "U & UR HAND". What can they do, it's live!

jo

Idol doesn't need Pink. They definitely won't lose a thing if they cut her out altogether.

Hal

She's a real weirdo.

yoda

I guess Pink doesn't realize that she's actually a man. Barf........

REY-noldo

I loves me some P!nk! Her last CD was fastastic.

rosie

8. You go Pink. I love you! Screw AI, I wouldn't even grace their stage if I was Pink.

Posted at 1:37PM on May 9th 2007 by Pinky

I agree, The butch bitch should be helping Paris get ready for jail..

Proud Marine Mom

And I guess we all have perfect bodies, hum??????

Gambler777

Jewish Princess that would be funny!!! But unfortunatly that is impossible as Pink''s performance is on tape. She recorded it for the Idol Gives Back but they didn't air it during the show as they supposively ran out of time. I think they said the same about Gwen Steffani and that they will show her performance on another show.

anthonysdreamgirl**

I jerk off to Pink every night - wait, and right now too.

alzado

I am a woman in my mid 50's. Pink is a huge talent; reminds me of the late great Janis Joplin. An incredible voice. My daughter's and myself are all trained dancers and have had and do have dance studios. Not your so called exoctic dancers, but trained in tap, jazz, classical ballet, lyrical, hip hop, you name it. We know good music. We also cannot use some of Pink's wonderful music due to lyrics. We all choose not to like the lurid lyrics, but love the artist. Pink can rise on her own incredible talent and quirky, fun personality, and doesn't need to resort to the crassness of so many these days who have little or no talent. So..Pink, rock on, be open to everyone hearing your fantastic voice, and seriously, you should play the character from Nora Roberts "Eve Dallas" mysteries. You're perfect for the part. Call your agent and get on that, girl!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments