Paris -- I'm Not Above the Law

5/9/2007 4:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paris Hilton has issued the following statement through attorney Richard Hutton:

"After reading the media's coverage of my court hearing, I feel the need to correct what I believe are misperceptions about me. I absolutely realize how serious driving under the influence is. I could not live with myself if anyone was injured or killed while I was driving while impaired. Clearly, no one should -- no matter how slightly.

I am ready to face the consequences of violating probation.

No one is above the law. I surely am not. I do not expect to be treated better than anyone else who violated probation. However, my hope is that I will not be treated worse."

Maria

you should have thought about taking a cab before going behind the wheels when were DRUNK!!!! this is REALITY dear!!!!! I don't feel sorry for you. You should stay longer than 45 days in jail.

Bird

I think that people are forgetting the offense here. Have you any idea how many people are killed by drunk drivers every day? I expect her to get the same punishment as a person who shoots into a crowd of people, but doesn't actually hit anyone ON TWO SEPERATE OCCASIONS because it is the same thing. Of course she thinks she is above the law. That is why she continued to drive drunk even though she knows the paparazzi stalk her for reasons unknown to me. That is why she is fighting this case like it's a murder trial.

ME

She brought all the bad publicity on herself acting like a spoiled brat trying to get out of it. She certainly DOES act like she's above the law. Even after she goes to jail I'd be willing to bet she doesn't learn a lesson from it & will continue life just as she has. She didn't write that statement - it was her attorney. She's not smart enough to sound that intelligent. She's trying to get sympathy from anyone who cares, whoever those idiots are. The main reason she got in trouble was for driving while her license was suspended. You know if you are supposed to be driving or not. If she's so damn rich I think she needs to stick with a limo and a driver - duh.

daniel

So why did Paris violate probation again today by driving to the attorney's office? What is it about "suspended license" that Paris doesn't understand?
Get a driver or call a cab, quit acting so stupid!

Jenn

It's been said that the Gov of California will NOT get into personal matters and this is exactly what Paris Hiltons crap is. He will NOT be offering a pardon and I found it quite hilarious that anyone would believe the Gov of California would waste his time on something of this nature. Paris is nothing but a spoiled brat who is throwing a temper tantrum because she isn't getting her way. She is a disgrace to ANYone that has lost a loved one to a drunk driver.
Enjoy your time in jail Paris...I know I'll certainly enjoy knowing you'll be in there.

Dawn Day

>David Paul,

Give it up already, she's not going to date you and besides she doesn't read this stuff, we do! If you want to be listened to on newstalk then remain neutral.

Besides, it just annoying because you obviously have a hard-on for her. Pop her movie in again why don't ya!

LadyD

for those of you who believes she should get off the hook...give me a break. If this were you or me, our asses would be locked up for as many days as the judge says. I am very tired of these celebrities gettign off with EVERYTHING. SHE NEEDS TO PAY FOR HER REPEATED RECKLESSNESS. SEND HER AWAY PLEEEAAAASSSEEEE!

Jess

She disgusts me as a human being. Not only is she pathetic, but she's an idiot on top of it. If she is being represented as anything close to a role-model then I feel sorry for our future. She should get the same treatment as any "non-famous" person should. I hope she goes to jail so I can laugh my ass off. Stupid slut.

katie

New attorney, new focus. "Take responsibility with the media" "Play up being wronged by the judge" . "Sihn" here............. yeah right. They should take her license and give her the option of buying her jail days at 1m per day for a total of 45 million going into California's budget. Hire a driver......

Abby

"no matter how slightly"..."my hope is that I will not be treated worse"......ppppfffttt....this is nothing more than still whining....and it's all about me me me....*rme* and walks away

JENNIFER ANNISTON LITE

WELL, ITS OBVIOUS THAT THE VIDEO OF PARIS CRYING YESTERDAY WAS BROUGHT ON BY THIS STATEMENT HER LAWYER MADE HER MAKE.

PARIS REALIZES TROUGH HER NEW ATTORNEY'S LAYING DOWN THE LAW THAT THE GOVERNER SCHAWARTZEE IS NOT GOING TO GET HER OUT OF THIS, HER MONEY IS NOT GOING TO GET HER OUT OF THIS AND AN APPEAL WON'T GET HER OUT.

SHE CRIED BECAUSE SHE KNOWS SHE WILL HAVE TO DO THE 45 DAYS OR 39 WITH GOOD BEHAVIOR. NO WAY OUT

Steph

Paris Hilton deserves this sentence. She did the crime, she should do the time.

BC

Paris did not write this statement - she is clearly not that intelligent - Young girls are her role model??? What is this the deal here, folks??? Girls as young as 12 are idolizing this bimbo I'm glad she's serving 45 days alone in her 6x8 cell - Maybe this should send a message out to her fan base that you can't get away with breaking the law because you are an heiress to a forture (and she's been enabled by her family, thank you)...

I hope the teens out there find other roles models than Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Brittany Spears--they love the limelight and publicity and suck up to it. Hey, at the end of the day, we are who we are (thank God) and the rich and famous are stuck in Hollyweird.

amthescam

Being a EMS provider I am the one that scraps the remains of the innocent off the pavement, and provide first aid to the people who were driving drunk that killed them.
If the law is broken people are responsible for the consequences, and if they arbitrarily disobeyed the first consequence, the next has to get their attention. Fair is fair regardless of your tax bracket!

grow up

could she really believe we believe that crap? this lawyer insults my intelligence like anyone would believe it after the week of cry baby self absorbed paris everyone picks on her the cops are all hitting on her boo hoo paris, then today like magic paris is an adult ready to take responsibility. does not work that way in real life. if paris wants to be an adult she should drop her appeal because this lawyer and everyone else knows its bougus she has no grounds the sentence is very fair considering her stupidity. we can only hope they give her more time for wasting the courts time with her foolishness.