Paris -- I'm Not Above the Law

5/9/2007 4:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paris Hilton has issued the following statement through attorney Richard Hutton:

"After reading the media's coverage of my court hearing, I feel the need to correct what I believe are misperceptions about me. I absolutely realize how serious driving under the influence is. I could not live with myself if anyone was injured or killed while I was driving while impaired. Clearly, no one should -- no matter how slightly.

I am ready to face the consequences of violating probation.

No one is above the law. I surely am not. I do not expect to be treated better than anyone else who violated probation. However, my hope is that I will not be treated worse."

Sean Poonce

Since she can't speak in complete sentences, I wonder who composed this insincere piece of propaganda. Nice try, bimbo.

Cindy

Honey fire your publicist! You're choking!

Finally exposed - shes a wierdo

I wonder what's really going on here...

#1 - It could be that she was shocked at being held accountable for her actions (never having to have been so before). She then did all the standard "celebrity" tricks to try to get out of her sentence; complaints, crying, telling the media you're a victim & didn't deserve this, asking your friends to do a petition to send to the governor for executive clemency, have your mom try to intimidate the judge, fire your publicist (after blaming it on him), fire your attorney (who's one of the best around), etc. Then, when she's looking at serving her time, she tries another trick; agree with public opinion, try to sway it in her direction so if her sentence is ever reviewed by someone (for less time), she will have shown public remorse. Agree that she's been wrong, and she will do her time.

OR...

#2 - t could be the above, but when faced with the public opinion onslaught against her, and realizing that everything she's done to try to save herself was ridiculed & did no good, she was told by her lawyer (and suddenly came to a personal epifany) that she needed to start acting like an adult, and not a spoiled child, that she should acknowledge her stupid actions, pay for her crime & move on.

Nope, I pick #1. Instead of issuing a statement through her attorney (which is still very much an "Ivory Tower" mentality; we don't know who wrote this, it might not even be her words or intent), she should have walked outside her attornies office (or had a press conference) to personally say this statement. Otherwise, it still stinks of calculating manipulation...

Judibabesiowa

bye bye paris

www.myspace.com/hiltonhotelprotest

Can I be on your inmate list of visitors?

who cares?

being above the law is hot--!!

Bridget

She is not going to jail for the DUI. She is going to jail for violating her probation. TWICE!! It is not unfair to send her to jail. She can read the tickets, the same as the rest of us. How could she not know about the suspensions? Maybe she can't read.

dre

anyone else would go to jail for the same thing, and what a sweet girl not wanting to be treated better than anyone else, maybe she'll be willing to share her individual cell with 20 ither women like the rest of the prison population.

Chilly

She only made those comments because her attorney suggested it and told her it she didn't it would ruin her in Hollywood, no surprise that this was coming!!!!!! And I don't believe Paris has the ability to even write such a well thought statement shes an idot and needs to get over herself and realize she's no different then us regular people.

mvdd

Well said, Paris. Now that's what I like to hear out of you. Taking responsibility and CLEARING things up regarding your fight to NOT be treated unfairly.

Take a stand Paris. I'll be right behind you supporting.

MVDD

val

Waaaaahhhhh...boo hoo

She definitely didn't write that. She's too stupid

Richard

It is amazing when someone can’t get away with what they feel is their right to get away with, will finally issue a statement, that may not be how they really feel, because we have seen and heard how she really feels...But finally gives a morally CORRECT statement. My feeling is, that Mr. Hutton read the riot act to Paris, and didn’t pull any punches. we have all watched Judge Judy, and the worst thing you can do to a judge and your case is to blatantly lie, and make it everyone else’s fault, but your own. That is exactly what the judge said to her Rep, “he fell on his own sword”, to protect his client and take the blame of her Arrogance, don’t be fooled, this is NOT stupidity, this is plane and simple arrogance, she was stopped and given the benefit of the doubt several times, and was let off... it was finally time to pay the price for Arrogant behavior towards others, and mostly to the courts, and if we were flies on the wall of the meeting with Paris and Mr. Hutton, I will guarantee, that is what he told her, she cant buy her way out of this, and blame others. Amazing when you see your career that was made off partying, arrogant behavior, and sex tapes, is going down the drain… I guess, there is nothing worse them being banished to obscurity… hence, new statement. Time to grow up.

NOT a fan of Paris

I think we need to now move on. I do not believe in the system, and I do not believe that Paris will go to jail.

While I am pleased with what Judge Sauer did, I am still disappointed with him, because he gave her 1 month to check herself in. If he REALLY wanted to punish her, he ought to have sent her DIRECTLY to jail after the trial. She SHOULD NOT have been allowed to go home.

I am SURE he was aware that her attorneys would file and appeal.

When someone is convicted of a crime, they aren't allowed to GO HOME then turn themselves in to serve their sentece after 1 month. SILLY, SILLY, SILLY.

TRUST ME, this woman will not serve not 1 hour behind bars.

She will be laughing at ALL OF US, and she will AGAIN drink and drive.

Jen

Katie - are you serious!!! Just because she wasn't drinking and driving the other times doesn't make it any less wrong - her license had been suspended - because of the drunk-driving stop - that means you can't drive. And if you really believe that she didn't know anything about the suspension YOU"RE INSANE - she's just trying to get the saps to feel sorry for her - and I guess you're one of them. If you had a young daughter, would you want her emulating Paris? Do you really think its okay for someone to avoid jail time just because of their celebrity? Anyone else would get a much steeper sentence, and wouldn't have the avenues to try and do something about it - why should she?

Valerie

Folks are right.. She didn't write this, and her publicist needs to work on making it look like she did... At least spell something wrong, sheesh.

The thing is she doesn't want to be treated worse than others, but if she were those others, she wouldn't have been given a month to get her stuff together and she would have been busted the FIRST time she was caught driving on her suspended license. So her publicist understands how serious this all is... Apparently she doesn't. She and her fans don't get it... No one should have to die for her to learn her lesson. I wonder if she "sihned" the press release?

And I'm with everyone else... I will never stay in a Hilton Hotel after all this. I didn't want to because of her to begin with, but now I don't want to help fund that family's irresponsible behavior.

Stephen D'Andrea

Good press release. Thank God she dumped that USELESS LOW-LIFE LOSER Howard Weitzman. It sounds like she now has someone that know's what he's doing, in her court!