Ellen --

'She's Gay?!'

5/11/2007 5:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

rosiemouth-1In a long video post on her blog, Rosie O'Donnell claims fellow out lesbian Ellen DeGeneres is not allowed to talk about anything "gay, gay gay!" on her daytime talk show. Mum's the L word?

In her video, Rosie claims Ellen signed a contract that forbids her to mention anything to do with gay issues, adding, "I talk about 'gay' because I like to and she doesn't talk about it because she doesn't want to or she can't."

TMZ contacted a rep for Telepictures, producers of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," who jokingly said "She's gay? Who knew?" The rep then added that this is completely untrue, and that they have no such contracts with any of their hosts, saying,"Ellen is free to talk about whatever she wants and we encourage her to do so."

On an episode this week, Ellen joked about being able to stand upright following her recent back injury, saying, "I'm not quite straight. Well, you know that."

In 1997, Ellen publicly came out of the closet in a groundbreaking episode of her ABC series, paving the way for hit gay-themed TV shows like "Will & Grace" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy."

TMZ is a joint venture between AOL and Telepictures, which produces "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

TheMediaConnedUs

#53 Hey Rosie, is that you? I can't think of a decent human being that would defend your obnoxious ass. Just face it, youv'e been outclassed again. Ellen is da bomb!

Steve

Rosie just posted a "sorry for the mistake" on her blog....

Carroll

Rosie,
I'm sorry and disappointed that you would say that about Ellen. I think you're both fantastic and adore you both.
I once remember Ellen saying, many decades ago, that she didn't want to be know as....a "lesbian comic" rather, a comic who's lesbian. Gay is a man, lesbian is a woman. I came across a quote by someone, can't remember her name, who said, why bother to be a lesbian if you're going to look or act like a man?
Rosie, I know you're lesbian as is Ellen. Ellen has been referencing herself more frequently about being 'gay', has mentioned her "girlfriend" Portia and besides, I doubt her studio would have her sign a contract that says she can't talk about being lesbian. Mary Kennedy, who stands right next to Andy Lassner, both co-executive producers....she herself is lesbian, has a partner and they have a daughter, who was shown on today's Ellen, celebrating Mother's Day.
I think Ellen might feel in her gut, that while she doesn't hide her homosexuality, there's more to who she is than being lesbian.

LThompson

For God’s sake, when will you people learn not to take anything TMZ says at face value?!?!? Did even ONE of you listen to the blogcast for yourselves?? Rosie wasn't stirring up a g'damn thing or sticking her nose in anyone else's business uninvited. She was answering a specific question posed to her -- she didn't bring it up. The blogcast is Rosie and two other women chatting among themselves really and reading and answering e-mailed questions posed by visitors to Rosie's blog. There was no attacking Ellen of any kind. It sounded like Rosie was just sort of passing along a rumor she heard about Ellen's contract, but otherwise she had nothing but nice things to say about Ellen with clear admiration in her voice.

Q: “Why do you talk about being gay all the time and the subject of gays all the time? Ellen never mentions it.”

A: “Ellen’s not allowed to – she signed a contract that said she wouldn’t.” The other women on camera with her chime in, surprised, “Really?” Rosie nods and continues, “Uh huh, it was on the heels of my show, right? [They nod in understanding.] “So that’s why she doesn’t, but you know what? She also paved the way for a lot of gay people, especially on TV. There were no gay shows on TV. She was pre Will & Grace . . . remember that? So you know, I talk about gay because I like to. She doesn’t talk about it because she doesn’t want to or she can’t, but who cares?? It’s fine. Gay gay gay . . . .”

It takes all of 10 – 15 seconds and then they move on to the next e-mailed question. Pretty low key and boring really.

There’s no question Rosie is opinionated and walks to the beat of her own drummer, but give the woman a freakin’ break, will ya?!? Sheesh!

Rosie O'donnel is way too gross for words

Rosie is like the Al Sharpton of gay people. Always starting trouble and lookin' for a fight. Rosie is an absolutely repulsive LOSER!!!!!!! And to think that I used to defend her during her pre-"out" days when my husband used to call her "Pig O'Donnell." Boy was he right, and don't think that I don't hear about it once in a while.

mara

Ellen is one classy person. She doesn't need to talk about gays or trash anyone.
She is like Disneyland.
You watch her and escape all the depressing news of the world.
We love her.

Jesica

Ellen ROCKS! She reminds me of Robin williams always funny all the time. Rosie has some major issues I wouldn't be surprised if Rosie has mental issues she is dealing with . Rosie Shut up about Ellen Your just jealous because she is funnier than you and classier too! Hope your feeling better Ellen!

Laitte

Ellen you go girl!

Naa, na, na , na , na na...Rosie has Ellenealousy!!!! Shut your piehole "Losie Rosie" you'll never be a milimeter of the EARNED and RESPECTED star Ellen is!

Mary

Ellen is trying, as is every other gay woman, to pretend they don't know Rosie. A word of caution to all of the gays, Rosie will drive most of you back into the closet because the bashlash is a 'comin and she's a 'pushin it. She's vile.

Cici

Aside from talking about Ellen's business on a blob - What's up with Rosie? Taking herself a little too seriously? She used to be a really funny, clever, interesting comedienne. Now she sounds like some paranoid jerk, her humor is low-rent along with the language she uses, she imposes her opinions on everyone like what she thinks about anything is going to sway the country? Grandiose thinking? That's a red flag. Lighten up, Rosie. If you're gonna be a moderator, take some lessons on how to moderate 'cause you obviously don't know how and that may be part of you problem on The View.

Isn't she seeing a therapist? I think a full fledged shrink might be better. I also think the girl may have issues that being on The View or her own show cannot solve. Stop spewing and blathering and THINK before you speak. That's MY opinion, Rosie.

carol

I really don't want to be barraged by the facts of anyones sexuality. I don't care. I think that whoever said Rosie is the Al Sharpton of gay people hit it on the head. Go away Rosie. I like Ellen and respect her privacy.

D.B.Ashley

I`m gay,and I love Ellen but that ,ya ,"TRAINWRECK"Rosie, is a ole B#$ch!!

slb

Ellen is successful (AS ROSIE IS NOT!) because she is not in your face about her sexuality. Ellen is secure in her life and I'm sure she doesn't feel the need to push it off on others. I admire Ellen. She entertains...that is her business. As for Rosie, she's gross. Rosie is an Ellen wanabe and please, there is NO comparison. Ellen has talent and Rosie has.....well she's gross.

LauraJ

Yes Rosie we all know that Ellen Is Gay ......Difference is ...... she has other things to talk about besides her sexual orientation. just like the rest of the world, Rosie has an agenda .....free the gays .....Ellen is just plain funny . and OUT .....but Rosie wants to Out her More......so she gets disliked as much as Rosie . Trust me Rosie its not you r Gayness that people dislike, Its your big stupid bad mouth, FOUL FOUL

jennyd

THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS ELLEN IS GAY. HOWEVER, ELLEN HAS TOO MUCH CLASS AND DIGNITY TO DEGRADE HERSELF OR HER PARTNER IN COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION. THEREFORE, EVERYONE RESPECTS HER FOR THAT. YOU GO GIRL!!!