Rich Brits Drop Pounds to Save Child

5/14/2007 12:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Some of England's wealthiest celebs are shelling out a fortune to help fund the search for a 4-year-old British girl who has gone missing in Portugal. This gives new meaning to the term "giving back."
JK Rowling, Richard Branson, Simon Cowell
Harry Potter authoress J.K. Rowling, Virgin titan Sir Richard Branson and "Idol" judge Simon Cowell have all ponied up to help find Madeleine McCann, who has been missing since May 2. According to the News of the World, Rowling donated in excess of $495,000, while Branson and Cowell chipped in $198,000 and $99,000, respectively.

Rowling's fortune has been estimated at $1 billion, Branson's at a megastore $7 billion, while Simon's said to be worth about $85 million ... slightly more than "Idol" raised in the recent "Idol Gives Back" event.

Missy

I hate to say this but i think they should look closer at the parents. Why would anyone in their right mind leave three children under the age of four in a strange country alone in a hotel room where maids, maintenance people, and god knows who else could enter at anytime. Something doesn't sound right here.

Loser

These parents left their child in bed sleeping in a foreign country while they go out to eat!!!!!!!! NO ONE THINKS THAT IS ODD? Either way no one should of taken someones elses child but why in the hell would you ever leave your child alone anywhere?

JESSICA

where's miss gold diggers money and I mean Englands One Legged Gimp Heather Mills

Leigh

Just because the parents are stupid the poor little girl is the one who is obviously suffering. How anyone can consider berating J.K. Rowling, Richard Branson & Simon Cowell for their generousity, must be a deranged conspiracy theorist. Certainly none of them are doing it for the publicity! They generate more than enough of that all on their own. Give them some credit where it's due for trying to assist in finding this poor kid

...

I can't help but feel there is a HUGE double-standard here... can any of you American posters (like me) imagine if we intentionally left our child ANYWHERE and that child was abducted? What is the likelihood of any American celebrities donating money to help find our missing child -- even if we were doctors like these parents -- with the knowledge that the children were left unattended? Not likely.

Other blogs on this hot subject have talked about how the parents were only "100 feet away" from the hotel room door and window where their little children slept. Not sure how this can be used in defense of the parents: if they were truly watching that door, they would have seen the intruder twice -- on the way into the room, and on the way out. Checking every 1/2 hour just doesn't cut it! These parents obviously found that out the hard way. In a way I hope the 2-year-old twins are removed from their care, as painful as that would be having already lost one child -- but I don't think they deserve to be parents if they are that self-centered as to go out to dinner without appropriate child care.

Sounds like they provide better care to their patients than they did their own children -- that is, if they are permitted to continue practicing whatever type of medicine they practice.

Romi

I think this is great that people,famous or not, donate money for this kind of thing but I would hate to think that thePolice would have more response from the public because of the money...
About prosecuting the parents, I first thought that is the least the justice could do but then if ( and hopefully when) Maddie goes back home, I think it will be harder for the parents to face the poor little girl then a judge. Imagine what they will feel when they will tell their daughter she has been kidnapped by some weirdo because they prefered to have a meal together instead of making the babies sleep in a pram next to them or imagine what it could be like for them to tell Maddie's siblings that thei sister has been abducted because of a stupid, very stupid choice.
It's easy to blame when you are not the one who does the mistake and thank God I have never left my child under the supervision of someone I didn't know or alone but I think that whatever the outcome of this situation is, the parents will regret it for the rest of their lives.
Let's just hope that Maddie's case teaches a lessons to millions of parents that would be tempted to risk their child's life for a few hours of time alone together.
I really hope that whoever has Maddie will come to "its" senses and release her quick.

Bernadette

I am glad to see that people think it was COMPLETLY WRONG that the parents left three kids under the age of 4 ALONE!!!! I hope she is ok and is found safe. I also hope the parents are prosecuted to the fullest.

baby girl

That kind of crap is done allllll the time in Europe. People think it's ok to leave their kids alone. I hear that Portugal was being investigated as another Thailand- a major pedophile's dream. Hope they find that kid. Unharmed.

Gloria

What were these parents thinking to leave such small children ALONE? Apparently they have not heard of room service.

Very sad, sad situation in any event. I hope the little girl is found. Then I hope the parents are arrested for child endangerment.

Tonya

HMMM, if i am getting correct information... Both parents were doctors? They left their very, very samll children alone because they did not want a stranger to watch their children.... Why did they not take a babysitter on the trip with them.? When I was younger I got several free trips to great locations that i would never ever get to have gone to...

Perez Hilton

Poor little girl! This is SUPER SAD! I hope they find her alive.

STOP judging the parents! They are going try hell,have a heart,she is just a little girl.

annab

THE LITTLE GIRL'S PARENTS ARE DOCTORS! I HOPE THEY LOSE THEIR LICENSES TO PRACTICE MEDICINE, AND I HOPE SOMEONE TAKES GOOD CARE OF THE TWO BABIES THEY HAVE LEFT. THESE TWO EDUCATED PEOPLE HAVE VERY LITTLE WHEN IT COMES TO BRAINS! IT IS HARD TO IMAGINE WHAT THIS PRECIOUS CHILD HAS GONE THROUGH BECAUSE OF HER SELFISH PARENTS! OMG! I COULD SCREAM. IT WAS SOOOOOOO PREVENTABLE!

Arden

I guess I'm not in the loop . . . why so much for this child and not others?

Mands

I agree with Arden, why just this child? In the same breath, I of course am praying for maddys safe return, its not worth thinking about what she`s going through right now, poor child I hope she`s safe, as for the parents, we all make mistakes and now they are paying for it, im sure they are being investigated but the main thing is to find maddy and all the other little kids that are missing out there....

rox1118

The parents should be prosecuted! Bottom line. I am personally appauled by the actions of these people. In the US you cannot leave any child of any age alone for any period of time without the possibility of you child being abducted. I don't care what vacation they are on, or how hungry they were. They should have had a nanny in the room if they wanted a quiet dinner. All for a meal? wow I hope it was the meal was worth it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments