"Lost" Diary -- Greatest Hits

5/17/2007 11:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Tonight's episode is a Charlie flashback one, so obviously I am anticipating his (hopefully painful) demise. If you haven't been with me since the beginning, I hate Charlie. I think his character is useless on the show and it doesn't help things that the actor who plays him is dating Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. You can't be the worst character on one of my favorite shows AND date someone that hot. Just ain't right. So I apologize in advance if I spend half this episode begging for Charlie to die.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. April made cupcakes tonight and Charlie might die -- what more could I want? Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- "No matter what I do, you're gonna die, Charlie." -- Desmond, from a few weeks back. Please don't be a liar, Desmond. Please, please, please.

10:01 -- Someone goes running through the beach, grabs a boat, and makes off with it into the ocean. Couldn't really see who it was, but it looked like Karl, Alex's boyfriend.

10:02 -- "I don't know, stuff? Probably secret stuff." -- Hurley. Sawyer's attempts at humor have worn thin on me, but Hurley's have not.

10:03 -- When was the last time we saw so many characters together? Feels like the old band is back together.

10:04 -- Jack's speech was awesome. Seriously, I am ready to go and fight the Others right now (except for Henry Gale, of course). It was like he channeled his inner "Braveheart." The entire room just broke out in applause. Anyone who complained that Jack has turned into a (female cat) can rest rest easy now. Just one question: Why exactly did he blow up the tree?

10:07 -- Before this flashback starts, I am making a pledge: I will only say nice things about Charlie until he dies. This pledge only lasts for this episode. What are the odds I can keep it?

10:08 -- As soon as Lauren realized it was a Charlie flashback episode, she yelled out, "It's your night, Dan!" Don't jinx it Lauren.

10:09 -- Um, Charlie has nice handwriting.

10:10 -- "Look on the bright side: you're not really dead, right?" -- Naomi. Right?

10:11 -- The Others have a station, the Looking Glass, that jams all signals off the island, including Danielle's distress signal that has been playing for 16 years. Maybe if she explored the island a bit, she could have learned some of this stuff sooner.

10:12 -- Let's see ... um, Charlie is ... nice to Aaron ... when he isn't kidnapping him and dragging him into the ocean. Wait, does that count?

10:13 -- So, apparently, Charlie has to die for there to be a rescue. Seems like a fair trade to me, right? But wait ... they aren't getting rescued in the next two episodes (Hello? Three more seasons!) so there is no way the helicopter comes and Charlie can't die (at least not like that). Oh man, I am getting a bad feeling.

10:17 -- Um, Charlie was a cute kid.

10:18 -- So let's review now: the episode is called "Greatest Hits" and it's starting to feel like Charlie's flashback scenes are the most memorable moments of his life -- one might call them the greatest hits. Is this an homage to Charlie? A swan song? I am starting to get excited again.

10:19 -- It seems Charlie drowns to death. Slow and painful, I like that.

10:20 -- Charlie volunteers to swim to the hatch and flip the switch. He's admirable, I'll give him that.

10:21 -- Oh dear lord, I have never been so happy to see a middle-aged interracial couple in my whole life. I speak for every single "Lost" fan when I say this: We missed you, Rose and Bernard.
Lost
10:22 -- I am usually turned off to "Lost's" sappier moments, except when Sun and Jin are involved.

10:23 -- The boat from the beginning of the episode swims ashore, and lo and behold, it's Karl, who happens to take a nasty open-sand tackle from Sayid.

10:24 -- "No, they're coming tonight ... They're coming right now!" -- Karl. Uh oh.

10:27 -- "Here's your gun back." Henry Gale to Alex. How much do I love this man?

10:28 -- Whoa, so Henry Gale is planning on taking any women they can find and killing any men who get in their way. You're making it hard for me to love you, Henry.

10:29 -- Alex is the one who warned Karl to warn the Losties. Why exactly do the Others let her hang around when they make plans?

10:30 -- "Is he my father?" -- Alex. Wow, this is like that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when Luke finds out Darth Vader is really his dad -- only the exact opposite.

10:31 -- "They know, Karl. But thanks." -- Juliet.

10:32 -- Two things about Jack's second "Braveheart" speech of the night. First of all, I'll say it again: welcome back, Jack. Glad you go your cajones back from Juliet's purse. Second, if Desmond is going to try and do something to help save Charlie, I will black out with rage. Just saying.

10:33 -- Another Charlie greatest hit and I can see why. Oh, it's because of his brother and the ring. Eh, I guess that was nice.

10:35 -- Odds Charlie gives Aaron the ring?

10:36 -- Guess not.

10:41 -- Charlie is good at fending off muggers with a guitar. Wasn't Charlie playing the same song in the same place as he was in Desmond's weird flashback episode from earlier this year? Oh, and by the way, the girl that Charlie saved was Sayid's girlfriend, Nadia. Small world, huh?
Lost
10:42 -- If Charlie is making a list of the five greatest moments in his life, what reason does he have to write one down every 15 minutes?

10:43 -- "Nothing is going to happen to me, Rose." -- Bernard. Uh oh.

10:44
-- "Then I am staying too." -- Rose. Double uh oh. This can't be good.

10:45 -- "I like you better since you got back, Jack." -- Rose. Man, I missed her. She said what we ALL were thinking.

10:46 -- Jack's "Braveheart" speeches were good. But Sayid matched him with the "you're our leader, so act like one" speech.

10:47 -- Charlie's "goodbye" to Hurley was touching. Doesn't change anything between us though, Charlie. Your death is still my Christmas morning. Santa better come down that chimney in the next 13 minutes!

10:50 -- The suspense of the Others' raid is killing me!

10:51 -- Ah ha! I knew Charlie left Aaron that ring. Too easy.

10:52 -- Into the ocean go Charlie and Desmond ...

10:53 -- Charlie's number one memory is meeting Claire -- how sweet. Of course, it's sooooooo sweet that I am now 100% certain he's going to die.
Lost
10:55 -- Desmond is trying to take Charlie's place. Do not take this moment from me. I don't ask for much, brutha! Let the little hobbit die!!!

10:56 -- Desmond, no, please stop. Come on Charlie, be a man!!!!

10:57 -- Yes!!! Charlie, I've never loved you more. But did you really need to hit him in the head with an oar?

10:58 -- Please, I can't take another week of this. Just let him die before this episode ends.

10:59 -- "I'm alive!" -- Charlie. Yeah, I see that.

11:00 -- Hmmm, chicks with guns. Desmond didn't see that coming, did he?

That was like the "Mission: Impossible" version of "Lost." It had the foot to the pedal from the opening scene to the very last moment. I have never been more exhausted watching an hour of television in my life. The anticipation involved with everything that was going on nearly gave me a heart attack. I need a shower and a nap.

This episode was really just a bridge between last week's episode and next week's finale. But what a bridge it was! Jack was back to his old self and Rose and Bernard were just back. That alone is enough to give this episode an A. Except for the fact that ...

... CHARLIE DIDN'T DIE!!! I SAT THROUGH CHARLIE FLASHBACKS FOR NOTHING!!!

So I have to give the episode a B. You can't NOT kill Charlie -- when you set him up to die so perfectly -- and expect to get an A from me. Not happening.

As for Charlie not dying, well, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. I mean, it's just a TV show ... right?

Final thoughts: We shouldn't be surprised that the Looking Glass wasn't what we thought it would be. Juliet said that all she knew about it was what Henry Gale told her and -- surprise, surprise -- he lied. There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.

Time for this week's question: Why does God hate me? Seriously, WTF?!?! Just kill Charlie already, please! OK, seriously. Here is my real question ... I have asked this one multiple times, but with only one episode left, it's fitting to ask it again. The producers of "Lost" come up to you and say, "We'll solve one mystery for you in the finale, which one do you want?" What do you choose?

As for other "Lost" Diary business, I thought the Q&A went well, and I'll definitely do another one. You can send your questions to questions@thelostdiary.com and the article will appear Monday at Noon ET on www.thelostdiary.com. Now that we've got one under our belts, you can see the kinds of questions I chose, so feel free to have fun with it. (Ed.'s note: Click here for this week's Q&A)

See you next week.

c

notice the blood was on alex's hand when ben handed her the gun? if you read into it, they were trying to say that locke's death was at her hand because she gave locke the gun. how did ben get it anyway?????? wow he was crazed last night, the eyes were poppier than even. I agree...alex may try to help locke. I wonder what Roussseau will say to ben when they meet next week. has this ever happened before?

Tracey

Posting now before I read through, so forgive me if I make a repeat.

***Did anyone notice that it as just women in the looking glass?? Maybe they escaped from the Others and their evil fertilitiy tests. OR...Henry knows they are there (probably).

I sooooo knew that the woman Charlie saved in the ally was "someone". But I just couldnt' remember...Thanks Dan! I'll post some more a little later. Time to get reading!

ps...Hi to ALL the Lostie fan's. Can't wait to read everyone's comments.

viggolover

great episode! sorry daniel, but i don't want charlie to die. but i was with you when i saw rose and bernard welcome back!!! we really miss you.

about jack , i like his speech but i like sayid's better. i really think he should be the leader and not jack. i am missing locke already hopefully he will be back.

next weeks preview looks good except for the part that shows jack saying i love you! hopefully not to kate. i hate the writers because they keep going back and forward with jack, sawyer and kate.

question that i want to be answer. i really have 2: 1. what happen to michael and walter? 2. who are the others and i mean the real originals habitants of the island?

Lori

I love this "Lost" diary, It makes my morning. However...I don't understand the grudge against Charlie. You say he has a useless character. I have seen quite a few "useless" characters. And with the Lost writers, who's to really know what Charlie really plays on the island. I actually quite enjoy him with Hurley, not Claire. They both provide a lightness the show needs at times. Give the guy a break! P.S. - I am praying they DO NOT kill him off. So there!

Candace

Is it sad that I look forward to Thurs. mornings as much as I do Wed. nights???

As for my biggest questions, I want to know why/how is Desmond reliving all of this??? We're so used to him talking about his flashbacks that we forget that it's strange he's actually having flashbacks! Also, Nikki and Paolo??? Coming back anytime soon??? Also why is everyone connected...I think that's one of the biggest things that intrigues me so much is that these people have crossed paths in the past. Goodness, it drives me nuts!

And no, I was not a big fan of that episode last night (I think I may have been expecting too much...) And as much as I love all the mysteries, I need some answers before we start discovering a whole new group of people!!! But who am I kidding...this is why we love Lost because of all this ridiculousness we try to predict and will never be able to...

leelee

Carrie #45
My daughter said, Hey are those vans? AND not only didn't he take his shoes off, but he didn't seem to take a really good breath.

jake

Dan, I feel your pain. I almost cried when the episode ended and Charlie was still alive. Also, we all should be very thankful that Juliet was telling the truth and the hatch was unoccupied (she is beyond evil). I knew she was lying and I wasn't suprised to see two gun toting others ready to kick some Drive Shaft ass.
Now about Jack; I feel that he sucks more and more each day. I was swearing my head off everytime he opened his mouth. Nobody is allowed to talk back to Sayid (except for Locke and Henry of course).

Mel

Could the gun chicks be the pregnant women who supposedly died?????

80sbaby302

OKay, so i started to love Charlie... i got caught up in the sentiment of the whole thing... and I admired that he was willing to die for sake of Claire and Aaron. I mean he is still dispensable but he has balls, and u have to admire that.

Screw Jack... he gave some good speeches but he's still been treating every1 like doo-doo... and he still is a bit self righteous like hes been from the beginning. He gets the job done tho... i mean really, most of us dont like our bosses why should jack be any different.

I knew ahead of time the looking glass wasnt flooded... 1st off, like Jack said... how is it still operational if its flooded?? I agree with another poster who said... why didnt they just cut the cable instead of risk drowning out there? lol duuuuuuh guys!

So u think the OTHERS didnt notice that giant explosion Jack felt the need to demonstrate instead of just u know... telling people about. And also... Henry lied about Jacob saying "do it tonight instead of tomorrow"... I think his changing the date of attack had to do with Jacob asking Locke to help him... Henry is freaking out. Even Richard was startled at the change of plans, and we all know Richard is key 2 all plans.

As for the chicks in the looking glass... they knew Charlie was coming, i mean him yelling out didnt help b ut they were SO prepared for him... and Desmond lied about his vision, he threw in the whole rescue thing with Claire and the baby just to get Charlie to do it. If it was really what his vision was about he wouldnt have hesitated to tell Charlie, he needed time to come up with a story.

DEFENDING Paris?

This "Charlie must die!" crap is getting tremendously old. Yes, we're aware you hate the character. Yes, we know you want a fictional character to perish. Is there any way you could, you know, try watching this episode without letting you hatred for both a character and the fact that the actor is dating a reasonably attractive woman not taint your inane blog?

You gave an episode a B because a character didn't die. Unbelievably stupid dreck. And your usage of the word "Hobbit" is also quite pathetic, as essentially every 12-year-old child and/or retarded person uses that insult to describe Dominic Monaghan's character. Perhaps you should bust out a "One ring to rule them all!" reference to solidify your idiocy. Have a pleasant day.

jack and kate

where are the regulars?!!! ok this episode obviously didnt inspire as much uproar as last weeks but its still LOST!! oh my gosh i almost shed a tear when charlie wrote THE DAY I MET YOU. and in the preview when jack says I LOVE YOU to kate's furrowed browed hopelessly sad face..AGHHH those two drive me nuts haha i feel like they arent really compatible though.. oh well back to econ class

Lost in Indy

First of all, Daniel, thank you for your blog. It is almost as exciting as the show itself. And about Greatest Hits, I am not grading this ep because it's just a "builder" for the big 2 HOUR SEASON FINALE next week. It's great to see Rose and Bernard again, but I have a bad feeling about them in next week's ep. I have to be honest, I didn't think Charlie would die. Especially now that he knows people are in the Looking Glass, he is going to become a major player. I don't see Charlie going anywhere for a while now. Sorry Daniel, but I would say Charlie is here to stay.

As for the question I would want answered, who the hell is Jacob? And what is his significance to the island? Is he the black smoke monster? And Naomi's story is still a little creepy to me. I think there's more to here than what they let on.

Thanks again Daniel. And I love how I have Mondays to look forward to now too!

Hil

Im sorry Daniel but I really dont think Charlie is going to die. They have just set us all up. But I like Charlie, I admit I teared up a little last night.

I was happy to see Rose and Bernard, but I have a bad feeling that they will die. Did anyone else want to hit Juliette when she said "thanks Karl, we know" good lord what a bitch! Im a bit worried about Locke, but Im sure they did that on purpose, damn them! I think Benry has kind of lost it, hes not all calm and cool like hehas been, he seemed a bit frazzled. Poor Benry.

The mystery i want solved is I want to know where Walt and Michael are, I think they need to come back. Maybe they're in the Looking Glass?

Beth

I just need to take a moment to say how much I absolutely love reading this blog every Thursday! It's perfect. :) I've told every Lost fan I know about it. Thanks Daniel!

Jamie

Like many people, I want to know what happened with Michael & Walt. Last week's people had an interview w/ the guy who plays Michael...he said he'll find out in two weeks whether he's coming back to the show, so hopefully my mystery will be answered soon!