"Lost" Diary -- Greatest Hits

5/17/2007 11:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Tonight's episode is a Charlie flashback one, so obviously I am anticipating his (hopefully painful) demise. If you haven't been with me since the beginning, I hate Charlie. I think his character is useless on the show and it doesn't help things that the actor who plays him is dating Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. You can't be the worst character on one of my favorite shows AND date someone that hot. Just ain't right. So I apologize in advance if I spend half this episode begging for Charlie to die.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. April made cupcakes tonight and Charlie might die -- what more could I want? Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- "No matter what I do, you're gonna die, Charlie." -- Desmond, from a few weeks back. Please don't be a liar, Desmond. Please, please, please.

10:01 -- Someone goes running through the beach, grabs a boat, and makes off with it into the ocean. Couldn't really see who it was, but it looked like Karl, Alex's boyfriend.

10:02 -- "I don't know, stuff? Probably secret stuff." -- Hurley. Sawyer's attempts at humor have worn thin on me, but Hurley's have not.

10:03 -- When was the last time we saw so many characters together? Feels like the old band is back together.

10:04 -- Jack's speech was awesome. Seriously, I am ready to go and fight the Others right now (except for Henry Gale, of course). It was like he channeled his inner "Braveheart." The entire room just broke out in applause. Anyone who complained that Jack has turned into a (female cat) can rest rest easy now. Just one question: Why exactly did he blow up the tree?

10:07 -- Before this flashback starts, I am making a pledge: I will only say nice things about Charlie until he dies. This pledge only lasts for this episode. What are the odds I can keep it?

10:08 -- As soon as Lauren realized it was a Charlie flashback episode, she yelled out, "It's your night, Dan!" Don't jinx it Lauren.

10:09 -- Um, Charlie has nice handwriting.

10:10 -- "Look on the bright side: you're not really dead, right?" -- Naomi. Right?

10:11 -- The Others have a station, the Looking Glass, that jams all signals off the island, including Danielle's distress signal that has been playing for 16 years. Maybe if she explored the island a bit, she could have learned some of this stuff sooner.

10:12 -- Let's see ... um, Charlie is ... nice to Aaron ... when he isn't kidnapping him and dragging him into the ocean. Wait, does that count?

10:13 -- So, apparently, Charlie has to die for there to be a rescue. Seems like a fair trade to me, right? But wait ... they aren't getting rescued in the next two episodes (Hello? Three more seasons!) so there is no way the helicopter comes and Charlie can't die (at least not like that). Oh man, I am getting a bad feeling.

10:17 -- Um, Charlie was a cute kid.

10:18 -- So let's review now: the episode is called "Greatest Hits" and it's starting to feel like Charlie's flashback scenes are the most memorable moments of his life -- one might call them the greatest hits. Is this an homage to Charlie? A swan song? I am starting to get excited again.

10:19 -- It seems Charlie drowns to death. Slow and painful, I like that.

10:20 -- Charlie volunteers to swim to the hatch and flip the switch. He's admirable, I'll give him that.

10:21 -- Oh dear lord, I have never been so happy to see a middle-aged interracial couple in my whole life. I speak for every single "Lost" fan when I say this: We missed you, Rose and Bernard.
Lost
10:22 -- I am usually turned off to "Lost's" sappier moments, except when Sun and Jin are involved.

10:23 -- The boat from the beginning of the episode swims ashore, and lo and behold, it's Karl, who happens to take a nasty open-sand tackle from Sayid.

10:24 -- "No, they're coming tonight ... They're coming right now!" -- Karl. Uh oh.

10:27 -- "Here's your gun back." Henry Gale to Alex. How much do I love this man?

10:28 -- Whoa, so Henry Gale is planning on taking any women they can find and killing any men who get in their way. You're making it hard for me to love you, Henry.

10:29 -- Alex is the one who warned Karl to warn the Losties. Why exactly do the Others let her hang around when they make plans?

10:30 -- "Is he my father?" -- Alex. Wow, this is like that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when Luke finds out Darth Vader is really his dad -- only the exact opposite.

10:31 -- "They know, Karl. But thanks." -- Juliet.

10:32 -- Two things about Jack's second "Braveheart" speech of the night. First of all, I'll say it again: welcome back, Jack. Glad you go your cajones back from Juliet's purse. Second, if Desmond is going to try and do something to help save Charlie, I will black out with rage. Just saying.

10:33 -- Another Charlie greatest hit and I can see why. Oh, it's because of his brother and the ring. Eh, I guess that was nice.

10:35 -- Odds Charlie gives Aaron the ring?

10:36 -- Guess not.

10:41 -- Charlie is good at fending off muggers with a guitar. Wasn't Charlie playing the same song in the same place as he was in Desmond's weird flashback episode from earlier this year? Oh, and by the way, the girl that Charlie saved was Sayid's girlfriend, Nadia. Small world, huh?
Lost
10:42 -- If Charlie is making a list of the five greatest moments in his life, what reason does he have to write one down every 15 minutes?

10:43 -- "Nothing is going to happen to me, Rose." -- Bernard. Uh oh.

10:44
-- "Then I am staying too." -- Rose. Double uh oh. This can't be good.

10:45 -- "I like you better since you got back, Jack." -- Rose. Man, I missed her. She said what we ALL were thinking.

10:46 -- Jack's "Braveheart" speeches were good. But Sayid matched him with the "you're our leader, so act like one" speech.

10:47 -- Charlie's "goodbye" to Hurley was touching. Doesn't change anything between us though, Charlie. Your death is still my Christmas morning. Santa better come down that chimney in the next 13 minutes!

10:50 -- The suspense of the Others' raid is killing me!

10:51 -- Ah ha! I knew Charlie left Aaron that ring. Too easy.

10:52 -- Into the ocean go Charlie and Desmond ...

10:53 -- Charlie's number one memory is meeting Claire -- how sweet. Of course, it's sooooooo sweet that I am now 100% certain he's going to die.
Lost
10:55 -- Desmond is trying to take Charlie's place. Do not take this moment from me. I don't ask for much, brutha! Let the little hobbit die!!!

10:56 -- Desmond, no, please stop. Come on Charlie, be a man!!!!

10:57 -- Yes!!! Charlie, I've never loved you more. But did you really need to hit him in the head with an oar?

10:58 -- Please, I can't take another week of this. Just let him die before this episode ends.

10:59 -- "I'm alive!" -- Charlie. Yeah, I see that.

11:00 -- Hmmm, chicks with guns. Desmond didn't see that coming, did he?

That was like the "Mission: Impossible" version of "Lost." It had the foot to the pedal from the opening scene to the very last moment. I have never been more exhausted watching an hour of television in my life. The anticipation involved with everything that was going on nearly gave me a heart attack. I need a shower and a nap.

This episode was really just a bridge between last week's episode and next week's finale. But what a bridge it was! Jack was back to his old self and Rose and Bernard were just back. That alone is enough to give this episode an A. Except for the fact that ...

... CHARLIE DIDN'T DIE!!! I SAT THROUGH CHARLIE FLASHBACKS FOR NOTHING!!!

So I have to give the episode a B. You can't NOT kill Charlie -- when you set him up to die so perfectly -- and expect to get an A from me. Not happening.

As for Charlie not dying, well, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. I mean, it's just a TV show ... right?

Final thoughts: We shouldn't be surprised that the Looking Glass wasn't what we thought it would be. Juliet said that all she knew about it was what Henry Gale told her and -- surprise, surprise -- he lied. There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.

Time for this week's question: Why does God hate me? Seriously, WTF?!?! Just kill Charlie already, please! OK, seriously. Here is my real question ... I have asked this one multiple times, but with only one episode left, it's fitting to ask it again. The producers of "Lost" come up to you and say, "We'll solve one mystery for you in the finale, which one do you want?" What do you choose?

As for other "Lost" Diary business, I thought the Q&A went well, and I'll definitely do another one. You can send your questions to questions@thelostdiary.com and the article will appear Monday at Noon ET on www.thelostdiary.com. Now that we've got one under our belts, you can see the kinds of questions I chose, so feel free to have fun with it. (Ed.'s note: Click here for this week's Q&A)

See you next week.

ElJeffe

So maybe the whole key to the Island is Charlie and what he can imagine. Does anyone else remember the scene between Charlie and Claire in which Charley wishes for a whole bottle of Peanut Butter. He wishes and wishes and sure enough a few weeks later they find the hatch with a stash of guess what, that's right, peanut butter. And last night's show also showed Charlie reassuring Claire that the helicopters would come to rescue them and everything would be all right. Why would he think of helicopters instead of planes?

Nice catch on Naomi being part of the group that listens to Charlie sing before it starts to rain. I also want to know where Walt and Michael went , what the smoke monster is, who were "Adam and Eve" that they found in the caves in Season 1, Does Benry have a ring that has the initials DS on it, Did Locke really blow up the sub or was that something else (remember he was soaking wet when they caught him), What is the purpose or nature of the Island, and what was with the four toed statue that they found?

Keep up the great work Daniel..

A

I think most people hate Charlie. And if you don't like the way Daniel writes the blog there are lots of other places to talk about Lost online. Surely there's a home for the Charlites.

cmouse

This episode is the perfect argument for a 2-hour season finale - it would have been a good "bridge" if the water was on the other side of the top of the hour. I felt ripped off.

phyllis7

I think Charlie (along with Rose and Bernard) are gonna die next week. Don't you remember that Desmond said he saw Charlie in a room, FULL OF WOMEN, and then he flipped a yellow switch? Hopefully his death will come in the beginning of next week's episode. I also want to see if John Locke is really dead or not. Do you think the writers will ever tell us why Libby was in the mental hospital with Hurley? That was such a long time ago but I'm still puzzled by it!

csalt

Juliet told Sun that she was sorry that she lied to her....What did she lie to her about?

Bandirun

Up to now, I've been kinda indifferent on the whole Charlie thing. He didn't really bother me either way. But what he did last night took balls. To come face to face with your own impending death and accepting it takes lots of courage. I thought the list was really cute. How many people really get to go over the best parts of their life right before they die?

Here's a thought though......Who says the helicopter actually belongs to rescuers?? I mean, the Others have a boat, a submarine, is a helicopter really so far fetched? Desmond never specifically said who was taking Claire and Arron, just that they were getting into a helicopter.

I want to know how all these seemingly random people, who in reality have such interconnected lives all ended up on the same plane together. There's no way that was a coincidence.

Chrissie

Sorry Daniel....but this episode was very heartwarming..I really felt for Charlie,even shed a tear or two!! I think the "shooters" are going to be the Losties that are killed in the finale..IMO..But pleeeeaaase not my beloved Sayid!!!

Susan

I thought it was another great episode. Charlie's flashbacks were touching. I thought about Daniel when Charlie exclaimed "I'm Alive!!" Ha! Charlie turned out to be a hero. One of the questions I would like answered is why don't they just give us 2 more seasons of Lost with 24 episodes each instead of 3 more seasons with just 16 eps? I mean it's going to be torture waiting until next January for the new episodes of Lost!!! But I will hang with them because Lost is one of my favorite television shows!!

Freckles(Kelly)

RENEE--You are right...why didn't we see Demonds flash of Charlie dying? There has to be another reason Desmond wants him dead. Although he did know how he would die.......
INDICA_GODDESS- Try drinknation.com It's a fantastic site and you can search by ingrdient or name, etc.
ALISON- I didn't realize that was Nadia either! Again, everyone is connected somehow!
Morning Ana!!!

C Roth

Again, I love your blog! Can't wait until next weeks finale!! The question I want answered is where is Michael and Walt? They haven't made an appearance all season. I am hoping we will see them in next weeks finale.

Go Maggie.

Great episode. Personally, I'm not on the "kill-off Charlie" train; I like him, and I think the plot has turned so often on his *not* being killed, then he has a bigger role to play. Now, if you had similar hatred towards Kate, I could totally get behind that. Man, she bugs me like crazy.

Couple of notes:
1) Henry tells the Others that Jacob ordered the raid on the Losties, and upped the timing. Why would Henry Gale say this, except that he thinks the inherent respect/fear of Jacob would motivate the troops. But Richard looked dubious. I smell trouble from within the ranks. If Locke is "the One," then Richard is hightailing it to the jungle to fetch Locke. Richard's been there longer than Henry. What does he know that Henry Gale doesn't?

2) The "Wonderwall" flashback. Desmond isn't in it at all. What does that mean?

3) Naomi has seemed to integrate herself well into the little community. A little too well, some might say. I'd think infiltration, except for the fact that Henry Gale seemed taken aback when Mikhail informed him about her. Either she's from a separate sect of Others (Looking Glass?) or she's telling the truth. How far is the Looking Glass from the island? About as far as where her helicopter "crashed"?

Questions I'd like resolved: Gosh, I don't know. Resolve one and we get six more. It's maddening, really. I'd like an Alex flashback. Maybe that would solve some of my lingering questions about the relationship between her, Rousseau, and Henry Gale.

Thanks again, brutha. It's going to be a long summer without my Thursday morning Lost diversions.

DEFENDING Paris?

To all the people predictably saying that all the people who don't have a seething hatred of Charlie should post somewhere else: no. This entire diary minute-by-minute format is a pretty intriguing way of blogging about a show that I think people find interesting, and it's sullied by the infantile whining of the writer who dislikes a character and sees fit to write about it in nearly EVERY SINGLE BLOG POST. There's nothing wrong with people saying that enough is enough with the DIE CHARLIE stuff. It's old, and it's tired, and it's utterly redundant.

Here's an idea. Try watching the show without affixing your blind hatred of a character to it. Try watching it for the sheer emotional and visceral impact, for the cinematography, the storyline, the characterization, and all the others things that are not blind hatred of a character. Give it a shot.

Ana

Hey Alison and aka "Freckels"!!

I ageree with RENEE, i want to know if all these people were brought to this island....or is itit just to show us viewers how we are all connected soemhow.....All the other mysteries can be explained, but to explain how or why an airplane-load of passengers who all end up having to play a roll in eachothers lives is.....BIG! EXPLAIN THAT!

Jean

Sorry I normally have time to read most comments but could not read them all today.

First of all - Will someone explain to me how the ocean does not fill up the looking glass hatch??? Totally confused on that one. How would it not continually fill up the hatch if they are submerged under water? Also, why not take an axe to that cable on the beach? I would give that a try before trying to flip the switch.

So basically it seems as though Henry Gale is losing it all together. He is out on a vendetta and needs the women.... So that comes to my question (of many) what is the deal with pregnancy on the island? He says that he does everything for the island. Maybe the island does not want anyone to have children, because the island does not want anyone on it to begin with... Who the F knows.

Great episode though. I hope Sawyer is away from the action next week. I do not think I can deal without seeing him once a week for three more seasons!

Jessie

Fantastic blog, brutha!

Anyone see Vincent in the background when we were shown Charlie's ring left behind in Aaron's crib? Somebody's obviously taking good care of him!

I like Dominic Monaghan but I'm not a huge Charlie fan yet by the end of the episode I was kind of wishing he'd live. I had a mini freakout when Desmond almost took his place.

I've got a thought. Usually, we see Desmond's flashbacks when Charlie dies. We didn't see this one though. Maybe Desmond made it up?

I get the feeling that the Others are going to revolt against Henry Gale and he'll (sadly) die. Locke will come back and the Others will somehow form some alliance with the Losties. But once all that is solved, what dama will there be?

I wonder.

I think Richard goes. He's got a new show I guess so I'm thinking he's gone. Henry Gale is two (I hate saying that because I also love his interactions with, well, everyone but especially Locke). Rose and Bernard are three and four. Then five would be..... Alex? She saves Locke then Henry Gale kills her then Rousseau kills Henry Gale?

Cannot WAIT for the two hour finale next week! But then we have to wait a LOOOONG time for next season. Boo!