Clive's Speech

Ain't Music to Kelly's Ears

5/24/2007 8:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After Clive Davis' very public display of rejection toward pop superstar Kelly Clarkson (via a speech that canonized Saint Carrie Underwood) on last night's "American Idol" finale, sources tell TMZ that SONY/BMG execs were apologizing to members of Clarkson's camp for their label head's rude behavior.

The 75-year-old owlish music mogul was tasked with speaking to the huge TV audience about the health of the "A.I" franchise and appeared to go out of his way to avoid mentioning Kelly's new single "Never Again" (which reached the Top 10 for heaven's sake!) or her forthcoming CD, "My December." Yet he somehow managed to find time to plug both Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee's new singles! Clive did briefly allude to two-time Grammy winner Clarkson -- but only to praise the talents of outside songwriters working with "Idols." Ouch!

Sources backstage at the finale report that Sony/BMG execs attempted to apologize to Kelly's team -- but their backtracking on behalf of the man with the golden ears fell on deaf ears. A well-placed source told TMZ, "Clive's actions, both delaying the album, and now this, tell you everything you need to know about how he feels about Kelly." That's no way to treat a 15-million-album-selling lady!

As TMZ reported
, the contentious feud erupted between honcho Davis and Kelly after she refused to make the "significant changes" to her new album (for which she wrote or co-wrote every song) -- that Clive demanded.

Artistic integrity - 1, The Man - 0!

A rep for Clive Davis told TMZ, "There is no truth to this story whatsoever. The focus of Clive's speech was on the recent Idol successes."

Dianne

The Clive/Kelly disagreement has been all over the place, but his rambling, transparent spanking last night was just pathetic.

I like Kelly, and I like her new single. If the album fails, it won't bring Clive to the poorhouse and it may prove to Kelly the need to compromise in the future. If it sells, she'll never have to listen to his BS again.

In any case, he was incredibly tacky.

whocares

whadup y'all.

ANNIA

I am not a fan of Carrie, but I'm going to defend her here.

Carrie is not a ditzy dumb blonde. She graduated with top honor. She needs to kiss up nor suck up to no one. She lets her talents & record sales speak for her. What she did was what we call "gracious manners." She was brought up well by her parents. She works hard for everything. To put in a nutshell, Carrie is an over-achiever, who is very grounded.

As for Kelly, I love her voice. But for her not to acknowledge AI as her stepping stone, was rude. No one would know her name with out AI. Perhaps she is treating Mr. Davis the way she has treated AI. So, that backfired her. I don't know. I don't care!

whocares

Funny Idol bashers

Amazing how Kelly's fans have to come out not just in defense of her but in many cases to bash Carrie. Leave her out of it. She has nothing to do with what Clive may or may not say or think of Kelly. To call Carrie names just shows your immaturity. She recorded a very successful CD and works her but off, but it has NOTHING to do with Kelly or what she has done in the past. Carrie has a FIRST Cd out and that is all. To say she is a suck ass is so much BS. What did Kelly do with her first CD? She did exactly what AI and Clive told her to do. So to now bash Carrie, again, just shows your lack of class. Fight for Carrie all you want, but just because Clive praised Carrie does NOT mean she personally is part of this or your fight. Grow up.

Michelle

I thought Kelly sounded AWFUL on A.I.---I changed the station until she finished singing!

Oh Puhlease

Where was Kelly's "Never Again" in the Top 10? It never reached Top 20 on mediabase and lost it's bullet big time.

If you are going to "argue" with the head of Sony/BMG then you better be ready for some fall out.

yks

I
I really do like Kelly and her music but I have never bought one of her CD`s. Why you ask? Because of her fans. I am also a Clay Aiken fan . They are friends but her fans can never be nice which tottaly turns me off. When Clive forced Clay into shelving his CD and recording covers they just could not stop laughing and being happy about this turn of events. Well Kelly fans how do you feel now ? Still liking Clive?

Kelly is not fat. She seems to be a very genuine person who can SING. She was awesome on AI. Would loved to have seen Clay there as well.
Clive needs to retire. What he said was tottallyoutt of line. Taylor should have walked out. What an insult to him and Katherine.

Sheri

That was a very hurtful and disrespectful speech to Kelly. She really doesn't deserve it. She works her butt off, and has made millions for her record label. It's very pathetic. And it makes no sense that he disses her writing when she wrote or co-wrote many of the songs on Breakaway. Avril writes her own songs and they really don't have much depth. Very pop. She co-wrote Breakaway, and Clive had no problems with that. She's no better of a song writer than Kelly. In fact, Kelly's songs that she wrote on Breakaway were really good. Addicted, Behind these Hazel Eyes, Hear Me... I do feel bad for Kelly. People get so pissed when artist's don't sing live or write their own music or are media whores, etc. Kelly is none of these, plus she just works really hard and always says she works as a team. She thanks those around her. I don't wish bad things to Mr. Davis as some above have voiced, but I really lost respect for him after that speech.

Summer

No Kelly fans are bashing Carrie at her boards. Its just right here. and its not like TMZ didnt write Saint Carrie. Carrie even looked uncomfortable excepting the plaque. Carrie said she wants to write on her next album so GOOD LUCK CARRIE AND I HOPE YOU WIN!
To the people who say Kelly has no talent Simon Cowell said she was the best voaclist to ever come out of idol. he said this more on GMA that she is even as good as Celine Dion. I ont belive the Celine comments but it shows you how great of a singer she is. Coming froma woman when I red the EW artcile and saw how disrespectful they were to her because she was A YOUNG WOMAN I Clive and his dinasour a*s. I cant wait when this album blows up and she shoves the money up is as*

kimmie

I was stunned at Clive Davis's speech last night, because it seemed as though he was dissing Kelly and obviously putting her down. He made a point of saying that Chris Daughtry writes his own songs and yet Kelly just won an Ascap award for best song of the year Because Of You which she wrote which was a huge hit. Yet he does not think a young female should be writing her own songs. How sexist is that? Her album was finished 5 months ago but he sat on it because he wanted her to make changes that she was not willing to do. Even Simon Cowell came out in her defense and said she should be able to put out the album she wants after all the success she had in the past, just let her have this one thing.

And to the people who call her fat and a loser should look in the mirror if they want to see a real loser.

Jackie

Well, I do love Kelly Clarkson. I think she has an amazing voice and have loved her since AI 1. I respect that she wants to try things on her own as well. I have to say, I am not crazy about her new song though. I think it is lacking any spunk! Everyone has a bad song now and then. As far as Simon saying she is the best thing to com out of Idol, Fantasia is actually who he spoke of on that subject. All three judges are in a greement about that.

As far as Carrie, I think that you can't deny her talent. She is an amazing singer wether you like her or not. I also like her outfit. I liked the funky twist to it. Something different.

Can't we all just get along? HA HA!

not a fan

Maybe this is the payback from when she got her award and did not mention Am. Idol in her thanks.

Laughing hysterically

The jealousy in this thread is very apparent. Carrie was pure class last night. She almost looked embarrased by the whole thing. She is a true representation of what an American Idol should be in my book. Clive can make or break an artist. He has used his power many times in the industry. That is a fact. What he did last night was irresponsible. It needs to be kept in the family if there are "Differences." However, he knows what sells and that's what the business is all about. He did not tout Taylor and Kat....look at the show. He almost sounded disappointed in them. Daughtry is his baby now, as unoriginal as he is, but that is what is selling at the moment. As for Kelly, I hope this works out for her. I am not convinced of her writing skills either after hearing her performance. Not impressed, but she will never know if she doesn't try. The recording business is a snake pit. Everyone of the people who have come off of that show have my respect, talk about going through the fire. And as far as Simon, the guy talks out of both sides of his mouth. He has dissed Kelly numerous times. Right now, it is in his favor to play nice.

caveman

people just get cranky when they get old, must be hormones or something