'Idol'

Is Finally Over!

5/24/2007 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With performances by Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson and BeBe and CeCe Winans, last night Jordin Sparks was crowned the latest "American Idol" on what seemed more like a "Solid Gold" rerun than the finale of the most watched show on television! Nothing says 2007 like ... Bette Midler?!

American Idol Finale
TMZ has the rundown on last night's eight-hour live broadcast:

The finale rambled on longer than a Paula Abdul interview! Something's broken on Paula -- and it ain't her nose!

The "Golden Idol Awards" -- Um ... No! Making fun of an infantile overweight woman dressed like Big Bird and two peculiarly challenged young men does nothing for "Idol's" industry cred ... who knew minstrel shows were making a primetime comeback? Why do producers want to add a crappy awards show to a crappy award show?

Gladys Knight -- She's gotten rid of the Pips -- and all facial expression! Thankfully, the only thing Botox didn't kill was her voice. Girlfriend needs an eyelash/weave wrangler.

Smokey Robinson
-- When did he become "Whisperin' Smokey Robinson?" At least one wide-eyed Jurassic crooner knows what notes he can still hit.

Doug E. Fresh
-- Thank you, "Idol," for transporting us all the way into ... 1985! *pah-chunk foomph-a-foomph*

Tony Bennett
-- Nobody hit the money note last night better than Tony -- who's 80!

Sanjaya/Joe Perry
-- Enough about Sanjy's hair. What the f**k was going on with Joe Perry's ratty bird's nest weave?! You Really Got Me!

Clive Davis -- Since he won't trash Clarkson in public, he'll just rave about Carrie Underwood (aka the un-Kelly) like she cured cancer. And can someone remind him Clay Aiken did NOT win "Idol" -- Ruben Studdard did! Poor Rube! While he pointed out everyone from Chris Daughtry to Jennifer Hudson (what no Carmen Rasmussen?!), Clive forgot to mention the Velvet Teddy Bear himself.

Kelly Clarkson -- "Idol's" prodigal daughter comes home. Love her or hate her (Clive!) she knows how to transform a poetry slam into an "Idol" performance. Metalicious! By the way, how much must it suck when your album sells 10 million copies (more than Saint Carrie), you win 2 Grammys and your songwriting ability is honored by ASCAP -- yet your label Prez still shelves your new album because it isn't "pop" enough?! Was Kat McPhee's non-selling album pop enough for ya, Clive?

Carrie Underwood
-- Country Barbie could get a DUI and flash her hay and she'd still be "Idol's" Patron Saint. The twangy gal can do no wrong ... except when it comes to Beatles songs!

Melinda Doolittle/BeBe and CeCe Winans
-- Hallelujah! Sometimes when you lose, you really win.

Green Day -- Through the magic of television, we were transported out of the Kodak Theater to the regular "Idol" stage and back -- in just under four minutes! How'd they do that?!

Bette Midler
-- Where was Kermie?! Somebody knocked out the wind beneath her wings! Que paso?! The only thing worse than the not-so Divine Miss M's Vegas-bound performance was the rubber S&M bathmat she transmogrified into a skirt! Ya gotta have friends!

Beatles Songs -- Michael Jackson might want to reconsider the worth of the catalog; it was seriously devalued by last night's shrill salute, exemplified by Taylor Hicks' special needs rendition of "A Day in the Life."

Blake Lewis -- Was there ... we think.

Jordin Sparks -- She should sing next to Ruben more often -- she suddenly became a size 2! Oh, by the way, nice how they tossed in at the end that Jordin won. Goodnight everybody!

deb

Thank God I will not have to hear about this stupid show for a while. I'm sick of it. Even if you dont watch its everywhere. The only good part is the very beginning and thats just because people like to make asses of themselves. Great another pop queen.

Evie

I knew and predicted that the two hour finale was going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong one, so I decided to wait till the last half hour to watch, even though my sister predicted that Jordin would win. We watched Ghost Hunters on Sci Fi for a scare. When we flicked back to see what was going on, something even scarier was on screaming like a dead cat or banshee..SANJAYA!!
Even when we turned it on again later on, it was still going..and going...

Bette Midler ruined her own song by trying to make it fresh and pretty. How will she last in Vegas? Vocal dubbing or lip synching.

We had originally turned it on when Clive Davis was praising the crap out of Carrie Underwood. I thought it was the grammys the way he was standing at the podium.

Since when did the Idol finale turn into that?

Biggest waste of 2 hours ever!

latanya harrison

it seemed like they threw the show together, it felt forced. I think the show has become too political. The real singers do not win. And yes, Jordin is boring. Melinda and LaTisha will sell more albums. Just like last year they voted for Talor and McVee was second but Chris the real singer is selling many more albums.
Hello!

Cynic

I thought Gladys Knight, Tony Bennett, and Joe Perry were great!! But I'm REALLY glad it's over so I can go back to watching baseball!

legal

Jordin is a very talented girl and I wish she would not turn into a disaster if managed by her family ( we have examples of that one) -she does need a great manager. Bette Middler was absolutely ridicuous, Kelly Clarkson was horrible both vocally and song writing wise.Smokey was great and so was Tony. There is no such a thing that you can get by relying on your previous success- they have to work harder and harder for their audience to prove every day how good you are. Davis was right about Kelly, she should have listened to him. Paula most likely had a stroke in the past that was either missed by her providers which accounts for her slurring speech. I do still like the show but it does needs improvement and revitilizing.

holycrap!

thank god!!! all it is is an over-rated star search from the 80's!!!

Privey

show pissed me off. Tivo'd it and because of all the dumb crap, they ran over so, after living through the 2 hours of bs, tivo turned to record another item, and I missed the end of the show.

....hmmmm

Kelly is still the best thing to come out of Idol...carrie is a good singer but doesn't have half the balls or feel that Kelly does....Melinda and Lakiesha are hands down the two best "singers" out of them all...too bad it's nothing more than a popularity contest.

Missy

This was the worst finale ever. To hear randy and paula say at the very end that this is a singing show, i knew right then and there jordin would win. I feel melinda should have won if its all about good singing. They should change the age limit to contestants 14-19. The music business is all about being young and appealing to youngsters.

amy

Sorry Guys, but this show was EL Stinko!! I thought the only thing that made it worth watching was showing the past "train wrecks" with the Big Bird lady and the Bush Baby and his friend. Sheesh that's sad to think about...I need a shower!

Christina

Im sorry but LOST season finally took all priority last night, screw American Idol. After Melinda was robbed last week, I am no longer watching it.

Ms. Sugar Walls

I think that Rueban sounded good! I think that Blake, got robbed! Yeah Jordin, can sing, but she's not a good performer! I think that Blake sould have taken that all the way! Kelly Clarkson did sound good! I'm sorry Carrie Underwood CAN NOT sing everything! Blake, got robbed! The show was geared towards jordin winning! I mean, Look at the number of performances that she did! I only seen Blake like 2 times, and they were rather short times! I bet you that Blake's album is going to outsell hers! LOOK AT DAUGHTERY!

you go girl

first things first - Sanjaya can sing- not the solo, which he earned I guess, but the smokey robinson song. he couldhave won wiht those notes. all the boys sounded good except no talent loser poor excuse for a throwback blake. Jordin rocks.............. and rules apparently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why did I have to suffer through Melinda's tired ass and gospel? Kellie was great. not enough Simon for my taste.

leachfreaks

i agrreeee it stunk, kelly melinda, and taylor are the best idols, plus eva avila from canada. no respect for taylor though:(

loving grandmother

I have always watched idol each year, but for some reason this year did not have the same draw to watch for me. I wish they would replace Paula with someone else. She is such a lush that I do not know how she makes it to the show each week. Yeah she fell over her dog, Tulip yeah right. Maybe she fell from too many drinks or whatever turns her on. She needs to go and maybe Simon could keep his mind on judging instead of always groping and touching her so much. Just not as good this year as years in the past. Maybe we are getting burned out on this show and it is time to let it go.