Paula: I'm Deeply Hurt

5/31/2007 6:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

In an exclusive statement to TMZ, Paula Abdul says:

"I am deeply hurt and extremely disappointed that someone has taken a private telephone conversation that I had with my representatives and released it to the media. This is not only illegal but also highly unethical. While I don't feel a need to justify or explain my conversation, even as a public figure I do feel my privacy has been violated and find this action to be unacceptable."

As first reported by Page Six and posted by Perez Hilton, a secretly taped phone conversation was released today -- which featured a sobbing Abdul discussing her former publicist and their strained relationship. Paula, we're told, is now back with her longtime publicist Jeff Ballard.

Unfortunately for her, the "Idol" judge was in London for the past few days and had no clue about the controversy that was swirling around her until she arrived in the States today.

Welcome back!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Suzyh

#61 Dayle - you're welcome. I have not met with Paula personally since the late 1990's, but have watched her career bloom yet again with American Idol and have been extremely happy for her. She has always been, and will continue to be, a favorite person of mine. She is a TRUE performer and always been very dedicated to her craft AND her fans. She has done NOTHING wrong to have to defend herself over and over again. Even with all of this she STILL has not made a cheap remark or taken a cheap shot at anyone... (and her PRIVATE conversation showed nothing to me that marks of doing that, either... it was a PRIVATE CONVERSATION that was made public and she said nothing differently than anyone of us would have said if we had felt betrayed by a person taken into confidence and on the payroll... ) ((note to Howard, you might want to take the high road and not continue with comments like you made today, ok?)) I wish that I DID have a way to reach Paula, if only to tell her that she has a lot of VERY strong people on her side... and to tell her that an old friend is here for her.....

I can't leave this without making a comment to the inane post (#70) by "enoughalready". Maybe you should take to heart what your login name says... your comments are way out of line and you reference to our soldiers WAY out of context or class. Our soldiers are fighting for the rights of people like YOU to have freedom of speech, freedom of class and the right to life without censure. I am a 47 year old woman who has watched wars from Vietnam to this one and have several friends and family members who have fought AND died for the rights of us and ANYONE who is oppressed, along with several friends and coworkers in the Telecommunications industry who died in the Twin Towers on 9/11. War for freedom is never fair or glamorous... and it does come with a price. But that is why we are able to live the way we do, say the things we say and live in freedom. Don't EVER forget that.....

Kathy

Paula, sue that idiot. I support you and I think you are a super person and a great asset to American Idol. People are cruel and they are jealous of celeberties and have nothing better to do than run there mouth and start lies. People who love you won't believe it and they are the ones who matter. Keep your head held high. Your fantastic in my book.

ashley

omg..paula, don't let this get you down! you still have many true fans out there that will stand by you! she doesn't deserve this people, paula is the sweetest, cutest celeb ever..and she would do anything for anyone that gives her respect back! leave her alone! love ya paula!

PerezSux

"as posted by Perez Hilton." Its not a scoop for that fat thieving no-talent. For Page Six, yes. For that crook, NO. Who at TMZ is in bed with him that you feel the need to try and constantly promote him!? Distance yourself from him, TMZ...youre known by the company you keep.

omg

listen to the phone convo here.

MK

as first reported by page six and posted by perez hilton??

you mean, perez stole the story again? who cares that he posted it? it was reported by page six. that is all that matters.

you might as well list all of the blogs and news sites that posted the story as well.

WWE does it right.

We support you Paula. We have had enough of that disgusting and trashy Perez Hilton. I hope you take action against him. Your fans and many others are firmly behind you. Perez crossed the line big time.

JEEZLOUISE

Boycott Perez- He is a slimy ,no talent, weazel.

John Q. Public

Paula, get your crap togethor. You look like a friggin idiot.

Finally exposed - shes a wierdo

She's a wacked out nutcase, but she's got a point. Whoever did this faces jailtime & a civil suit; Perez Hilton and other lowlifes included. Private conversations are NOT legally allowed to be taped & put on websites or released for public review; this is a violation of privacy laws. Perez Hilton is going to have a lot to answer to...

If I were Paula's attorney, I would have had him served with civil complaint papers by now, and would have encouraged Paula to file a criminal complaint. Simply put, he's in a tough situation; either he divulges who he got the tape from, or he's charged with aiding & abbetting a felony & hindering an investigation...

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

If what Paula says is true someone violated the Federal Communications Act and that's a Federal offense. I hope they nail whoever taped her.

TH

Now, if the phone conversation were recorded without her knowledge or permission, that is a legal matter and should be pursued. If not, and one of her staff or representatives sold or leaked out the conversation, then they should be terminated. Sounds to me like it was one of these situations, versus hear-say and/or third-party. Perhaps she should sue Perez? Tabloid trash is also fodder for litigation. Even if people don't like her, this type of stuff shouldn't be happening.

SIck of Morons

Why would someone post this kind of audio? Poor Paula. She doesn't deserve to have her privacy violated this way.

monique

Why can't American Idol just replace her? It really wouldn't be a big loss.

Danielle

good, i hope she takes legal action. she doesnt deserve this, she is a great person and is dealing with a lot right now. that was so wrong whoever recorded the call. disgusting.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments