Washington

Fired from 'Grey's Anatomy'

6/7/2007 11:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has confirmed that Isaiah Washington has been fired from the ABC hit "Grey's Anatomy."

Washington's rep, Howard Bragman, confirmed this evening to TMZ that "Grey's" creator Shonda Rhimes called Isaiah today and told him he would not be invited back to the show next season. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, who first broke the story, reports that the decision was due only in part to Washington's on-set troubles, and was a result of a "pattern of problematic behavior."

As for how he feels about his termination, Washington issued the following statement: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Paging a mediator, STAT!

Cabo

#13 -- Yeah, right, blame Katherine Heigl for Washington's outburst & bigotry. Totally . . NOT! She stuck up for her best friend -- that's the kind of friends I choose -- don't know about you.

kerry

so pleased the homophobe won't be in this very good show..I always found it hard to watch him , knowing what he thought of gay people.

gingergirl

I never watched more than 10 minutes of the show. As far as I'm concerned they all can go and take the stupid show with them.

D

Both words are just as hurtful as each other.

And if anyone uses any sort of offensive word against someone else, they should be fired, and they will be fired.

Such is the case, Washington used an offensive word and he was fired for it.

Kim

Wow...You gays can be down right hateful, I can't imagine why anyone might not like you.

JAA

What a gorgeous idiot! It's not OK to call someone a f$%^%^ or a n%$^&&%^ in the work place let alone the Emmy's. It was one thing when it apparently happened at work and they worked it out, Isiah then took it to a whole new weird level when he denied using the word and said it as loud and clear as he could at the Emmy's. I personally don't watch the show but think he is an incredibly talented and handsome actor. I don't know how he will ever redeem himself.....

duke

# 37, they can find another "minority" who isn't a flaming bigot. Are we supposed to support Washington's bigoted comments just because he is a "minority" actor? We need to take a zero tolerance stand for ALL bigotry, no matter what color a person's skin is. I applaud Grey's Anatomy for taking a stand against bigotry, they are to be commended, not criticized, that was a ballsy thing to do and I am pleasantly surprised.

Khamisi

until scientists find the gay gene. i can't believe that people are born gay. people should be able to bash any lifestyle they feel like.

D

I've been reading what people have been saying.

Do you realize that Shonda Rimes is black, and i'm positive that if she read this board she would tell everyone on here that uttered any sort of offensive word that it is completely wrong and uncalled for... n-word or f-word.

sickoHollyweird

See ya! Ya big homophobe. Back to gayhab for you.

Maureen

Although I thought he was a great actor, you should have to be responsible for your actions when you are in the public eye. Just ask Don Imus. Maybe they can go for a drink together ....personally I think if one person gets in trouble for it then they all should. Just like Paris should still be in jail. OH but she's special....for doing absolutley NOTHING.

Texas

Actors (or any other working people)should be fired because they can not act NOT because they make such comments.
People are entitled to like or dislike people who are different from them regardless of the reason.

This is free country ... you might want to remember that!!

Karen

If I recall correctly there was more to his behavioral problems then just the gay remark and the fight with Dempsey, I thought he had other issues on the set previous to these two. As the other poster stated . . . work enviroments are not the place to make such remarks for either of the words mentioned on the board. Maybe it was one of those get rich and famous quick and then get arrogrant and think that social norms don't apply to you. I would think that legally the show didn't have much choice with all the employment rules and such. Regardless I don't watch the show so I'm not going to miss him.

Kat

Grey's is done as far as I am concerned. I would really like to go back in time and find out about how many shows before the Internet had this problem. We should not be so quick to judge. Just for the record I am a white single mother. Back then it was just not heard of. Until now. One of my favorite shows was The Walton's and I found out on the Internet that Grandpa Walton Zeb was gay. I wonder was there anything said on that set about it. I wonder if any of them would have been fired for a slur. Did this info of Will Geer change my mind about him. No it did not. I think what I am trying to get across here, if you are gay that is okay. It is not an excuse to hide behind or get someone fired.

Sean Bresnahan

A black man disparaging a gay man. Ah, the sweet irony.