Washington

Fired from 'Grey's Anatomy'

6/7/2007 11:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has confirmed that Isaiah Washington has been fired from the ABC hit "Grey's Anatomy."

Washington's rep, Howard Bragman, confirmed this evening to TMZ that "Grey's" creator Shonda Rhimes called Isaiah today and told him he would not be invited back to the show next season. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, who first broke the story, reports that the decision was due only in part to Washington's on-set troubles, and was a result of a "pattern of problematic behavior."

As for how he feels about his termination, Washington issued the following statement: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Paging a mediator, STAT!

2012

I am NOT disgustedby this! I WILL watch Grey's Anatomy. I found his coments Very disgusting and he got his just desserts. I'm PROUD of YOU Shonda Rhimes.

Krystal

First, it was a part of his character to be cocky and full of himself and if he is in real life, that's okay because he is a GREAT actor(comment #6). Every actor on the show , including Isiah washington,contibuted to the essence of grey's anatomy, the very essence that would have us drawn to our television sets!!! This whole thing was blown way out of proportion and the media is to blame!!!! We don't work on the set of grey's, we watch it. What goes on on the set is between them. their job is to act and ours to be entertained. So because he is homophobic, he shouldn't be an actor on a nationally syndicated show? He put his big ass foot in his mouth and I am sure he regrets it, but truth be told that shondra will have to come up with one hell of a storyline next season to fill that void. as much as you would like to hate him for what he said you have to admit that he played the hell out of the "well known cardio thorassic surgeon Preston burke" ( I am sure I spelled that wrong) Katherine heigel needs to get the hell off her high horse because she really isn't that great of an actress anyway, not much of an improvement since her Roswell days!!!

Apache Rose

I don't think it was so much what he said but the effect it must have had on the cast and a lot of things that we will never know about.

shawn

it is sad when a biggot gets fired isnt it

jashrema

Should he have said it? Nope. Should people use the "N" word? Nope. But the reality is, people say bad things all the time, especially in the heat of an argument. Is it right? Nope. These two words are NEVER going to be gone completely from our societies vernacular unfortunately, and i for one, am just plain tired of the media frenzy when somebody calls somebody else a bad name. I find it interesting that our parents (well, at least my parents) always told me, they're just words...and ignorant people say them, and there is no way that mere words/names should ever hurt you. Being Mexican, I've been called every slang word there is for a hispanic, and I gotta tell you....never bothered me a bit. Gee...everything you need to know, you really do learn in kindergarten! Aside from this, it apalls me that he has been fired over using the "F" word, when routinely women are called bitches, whores, sluts, etc. on television, in the music industry, and on the radio... EVERYDAY! Where's the uproar there?? Something is seriously wrong here folks...

Sues

Uh -Oh! Here come Jessie and his side kick Tonto - I mean Sharpton. I can smell his greasy hair from here. Oh wait - that's right. Their out protesting Paris Hilton's release.

Kate36

Not a Grey's fan but this guy deserves getting his butt kicked off for not only his behavior but his overall attitude - really don't believe any of his contrived & contrite spiel. The man does not deserve to be afforded another chance ... the program will thrive without his self-centered egomania.

Evan

Can someone please explain to me what the hell his released statement means? It's a quote from the old movie Network?? Well I never saw it --- and why the heck does he use it here?

blville

wow
i can't say that i'm shocked, maybe just that i thought that this would of happened a back when he actually did said those things. he was very good in his role though, i guess just hard to be around.

rm90046

I think this decision by ABC/Grey's Anatomy Producers is a load of crap. Isiah is a great actor and far better than many on this show. It seems to me as if the rest of the actors really ganged up against him, especially Katherine Heigl. They went out of their way to damage Isiah's career because of personality conflicts. I don't think that's fair. It's clear that he wasn't a good fit with this group of actors. They had their clique and he wasn't part of it. That's no reason for the producers of the show, obviously egged on by the other actors, to go out of their way to say that Isiah was the problem. They could've handled this in a far more professional manner. Isiah has no choice now but to hit back at ABC/Grey's (even with a law suit perhaps) in order to defend his reputation and his future as an actor. (BTW, this show would be worth watching again if they would simply get rid of Katherine Heigl. She can't act and her character is annoying. I hope Knocked Up makes $300 million so that she'll convince herself that she has a future in movies and leave the show so that I don't have to see her on ABC every week)..

Canyunman67

Look, folks.........STOP invoking the Bill Of Rights. The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with this. ABC is a corporation, they're not the U.S. Government. Sometimes, "free speech" has consequences. Isaiah has the same free speech rights as ABC and Shonda does, so they fired him, and I'm glad to see him go. He was never really sorry about what he did, combined with the fact that this guy has a history of problems. While the absence of Walsh and Isaiah will affect the chemistry of the show, there's a point where you need to take a stand and do the right thing even if it messes with the success of the show. Sometimes, you just can't be held hostage by idiots.

Zip

Amended:

If you are a minority...If you are a minority employee of ABC/Disney, and you have a problem with anybody there, the first reaction is: It's your fault and you must be punished, and or, fired! look at what happened with Star Jones...Damon Wayans, Arsenio Hall, and George Lopez. Washington was "A Dead Man Walking" (terminated) from the beginning. He was originally hired to play Dr. McDreamy, then the network stole the part from him. Next, he was recast when the show's creator wrote a new part for Washington, but there was tension ever since. ABC didn't want a black actor romancing a white woman--the lead cast member at that!!! Washington was only there because Rhonda (the show's creator--a black woman) pushed the issue. But the ABC executives...All White, BTW, didn't want him there in the first place!!!

As soon as there was a fight on the set...ABC conveniently took the easy way out, and blamed all of it on "the black guy". This was the excuse they were looking for...to fire "a strong, tall, imposing, intelligent and attractive black man"!!! It was only a matter of time before they hung him...first however, they set about assassinating his name and personal character through the media to lay the ground work for this!!! To fire him...for "Cause".

Well, from what I have heard, much of the cast was involved with the fight...either directly, and or, indirectly. As in most fights, bad words are spoken...that's just a fact. But in this case, the black guy gets executed...he gets lynched!!! And all the white cast members feel safe now!!! How so very "KKK Chic" of them all!!! I certainly won't be watching this series anymore!!!

rpond123

I am a fan of the actor Isiah Washington and he was good on "Grey's Anatomy." He has done fine work in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Unfortunately, he isn't the only actor or actress to be booted from a hit TV show because of controversy. The Network & the Producers have the power to either tame their stars or remove them. But, letting go of an actor because he said the wrong word is extreme. For a year, ABC let Rosie O' Donnell say whatever she wanted to offend everyone who wasn't gay or Lesbian. That's wrong. All the best Isiah. Your career will continue because you are a good actor.

Tanya

I just began watching and only stay tuned b/c I like Isiah's character. I feel what he said was on a personal level out of anger and should never have been repeated to the media. Isiah has been in so of my favorite movies so I know he will get other offers: he's a great actor. As for the other characters on the show they are very annoying. TR Knight will soon be another outed has-been while Isiah will continue to impress with talent. I've heard far worse things said and people have moved on, TR Knight showed he is really exactly what he was called b/c he could have stood up and taken the apology like a MAN and moved on.

Sean Bresnahan

Personally I am tired of the whole "angry black man" schtick. He's just another loser who can't keep a job.