David Hyde Pierce Thanks Everyone and His Lover

6/11/2007 2:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comAfter being somewhat publicly outed in an Associated Press interview last month, "Frasier" star David Hyde Pierce did not pull a Hilary Swank -- and remembered to thank his longtime partner, Brian Hargrove, during his Tony award acceptance speech. Sorry, Daphne, Niles was on the DL!

After acknowledging a laundry list of agents, managers and cast members for his winning role in the Broadway musical "Curtains," Pierce thanked "My partner Brian, cause it's 24 years of listening to your damn notes. That's why I'm up here tonight." A real class act!

While this was his first Tony win, Pierce has four Emmys for his work on "Frasier."

Ellen

TMZ-
Why "AND HIS LOVER!" Why the exclamation mark? Most people with a clue and half a brain knew he was gay! BIG DEAL! Get over it!

Ellen

Who cares? He's very funny and a superb actor.

Only swim in the Ocean

How could he have been 'outed' a month ago when he and his partner have been together for 24 years?

Oh well, he's an outstanding performer!

Me

#4: Because until today, Harvey Levin never heard of homosexuals?

Hopefully, there will come a day when that ! is replaced by a ., instead of a major "GAY MAN THANKS HIS LOVER" not-so-subtle commentary.

Jemima

I love D.H.P. He is so talented and seems genuinely nice.

Snarksnarksnark

It is very nice to see actors thanking the special folks in their lives. The type of relationship does not matter -- the acknowledgement does!

I have loved DHP's portrayals, no matter the character. He was a riot in "Wet Hot American Summer."

Jemima Puddleduck

Why care that he has a partner, that he is gay or any of that?

Give them equal rights to commit to one another in a marriage and get over it already!

Peoples sexual orientation doesn't matter ....

BeeBee

I thought he came out years ago?? I agree with El Polacko - after 24 years with someone, i would call that more of a marriage than Britney's 55 hour fiasco. Or her 2nd marriage for that matter. And I don't just mean to pick on Britney, but all of these celebrities with the exception of Paul & Linda McCartney and Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward have multiple marriages that combined don't equal 24 years.

Terry

I didn't know he was gay ( do now lol) I never cared enough to think about it. Still do not care.
I have enjoyed his acting however for many years as well as the rest of Frazier's cast. He is very deserving of his awards.

NubianGoddez

I could care less he's gay, he's always been a class act and outstanding actor. loved him on Frazier.

Scott

Shame on you TMZ (saying that Niles was on the "DL" ). Gays are NOT disabled heterosexuals. If you had to use a sports analogy - you could have just said that he was playing for the other team.

Terry

If Pierce wished to call his partner his "husband" he is more then free to do so.
Many who are not legally married call each other husband & wife.
Perhaps after 24 years they know what they want and have it.
Many gays wish to force their agenda's ( Gay Marriage) on others, I dont feel this is right.

whatsmyname?

The only reason I care in any way that DHP is gay is that it means there is no chance in hell that I could ever indulge my long time crush- the fact that I don't know him being the other minor obstacle lol.

And yes, it's not been exactly a secret that he's gay, he's been open about as far back as I remember. I believe he thanked his partner when he won an emmy. In any case, I knew it when he was on Frasier. Hardly news. and I agree, calling the guy his lover is ridiculous. Call a spouse a spouse please!

Navin

As a Hetro, I agree David Hyde Pierce is a class act. His comedy was simply superb and I am glad his acting got the much needed recognition.

Navin