'Real World's' Frankie

Dies at 25

6/12/2007 6:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0612_frankie_realworld_sd-1Frankie Abernathy -- the punked-out, boat-phobic rock chick of MTV's "Real World: San Diego" fame -- died at the age of 25 on Saturday at her mother's home in Shorewood, Wisc.

Abernathy suffered from cystic fibrosis, though an official cause of death has yet to be determined, according to MTV News. During her stint in the "Real World" house, Frankie exhibited symptoms of cystic fibrosis, such as difficulty breathing and immune-system impairment, and it was a significant part of her storyline on the show.

Frankie had some tumultuous times on the show, and ended up leaving the house before the end of the season.

Rachel

Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford

is a great book that talks about CF

Lenny

May you rest in peace Frankie.

INANNAE

WHERE DOES THE WORLD STAND ON CYSTIC FIBROSIS? WE CAN MAKE NUCLEAR BOMBS THAT ARE CAPABLE OF DESTROYING THE WORLD AND YET WE CAN'T CURE A DISEASE THATS BEEN AROUND FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. WHERE ARE WE?

ANN

WOW, this is shocking and for a special person on Real World. Sympathy for all her fans and family.

Sunne

this is very sad and Tragic for this young woman . In her passing she reminds the rest of us what a horrible and devastating disease Cystic fibrosis really is and how vital it is that researchers find a cure before more young people are taken .May this young lady indeed rest in peace.

Paul

Frankie; lay your weary head to rest, don't you cry no more. In His name, amen.

Christina S.

Oh my goodness!! I couldnt believe it when I saw it was her!! I feel soo awful for her and her family! Thats so sad!! I wish the best for her family and friends!

honest1

Well, at least she is not suffering anymore. She was great.

rick culbertson

that sux,way too young to die
RIP
RC FLA

Martin Podjski

To the one who says "everyone says sick and disgusting things about everyone", the big names in the news (like Paris Hilton, and others) are spoiled brats who don't care about normal society, and deserve everything said about them. Frankie seemed like a cool chick who make the best of things, she's the one who should get sympathy, not the spoiled brat stars.

Jess

That's so sad. When I watch Real World it's like everyone becomes a part of my family too. I cry with them at the end of every season. I have lost a close pal. Iwish her family the best.
R.I.P. FRANKIE I'll miss you :'(

Kris

Didn't she smoke on the show? And didn't the other cast members call her out on it with her having such a condition?

If that is what I recall correctly, I wonder how much her lifestyle of smoking (and drinking?) factored into her demise...then again, she did know that with such a health condition comes a short lifespan.

evaye

you can go anytime love each other.

bettybean

I remember on the show what a hard time her roommates gave her about her health problems....it just goes to prove that the majority of young people don't show any compassion for someone like Frankie.....they seemed to give her a hard time about everything.......I certainly think the people that did that should stop and reflect on her memory and ask themselves how they could have reacted different...and the next person they see with an ailment, let them at least show some empathy......Rock on Frankie!
To the family, I am so sorry to hear this .... may you take some comfort in knowing that people saw a very strong girl on that show in spite of what they tried to portray at times......peace be with you...

JEANNE

''SO SADD., SO YOUNG., RIP DEAR FRANKIE'