BET Awards

The White Elephant

in the Room

6/14/2007 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hang on tight -- its about to get racial up in here. TMZ has learned that 2007 could be the first year that a white musician wins a Black Entertainment Television Award ... besides Michael Jackson.

0614_robin_thicke_bet_fm-1
Platinum-selling superstar Robin Thicke has been nominated for two BET Awards: Best Male R&B Artist, and his song "Lost Without You" is up for a Viewer's Choice Award. Only two other white artists have ever even been nominated for a BET Award -- Justin Timberlake and Eminem -- but neither of them took home the prize. Could Robin break down the BET color barrier?!

The competition is thick; Thicke is up against Akon, John Legend, Gerald Levert, and Ne-Yo for Best Male, and competing with Beyonce, Birdman & Lil' Wayne, Bow Wow featuring Chris Brown, Ciara and UNK for the Viewer's Choice.

The BET Awards will be live from The Shrine in Los Angeles, Tuesday, June 26.

Get a life!!

Well said Shay, like I said before uneducated, stcuk on stupid people would make such a brainless remark without getting the facts.

calilife4me

BET AWARDS IS RACIST....................... IF THEIR WERE A "WET " ( WHITE ENTERTAINMENT AWARD ) WE'D HAVE JESSE JACKSON, SHARPTON, AND THE LIST GOES ON HOLDING NEWS CONFERENCES CALLING " WET " A RACIST ORGANIZATION ........ ENOUGH OF THIS REVERSE DISCRIMINATION THE BLACKS LIKE TO HOLLER ABOUT .....................

Posted at 1:51PM on Jun 14th 2007 by themomma
==
THERE IS A "WET" AWARD SHOW.....IT'S CALLED "THE GRAMMYS"
THE "WET" MOVIE AWARD SHOW IS CALLED "THE OSCARS"

SHARPTON et al don't protest at those shows!

In addition, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX.......ALL WHITE SHOWS, ALL THE TIME!

REALLY, ARE YOU STUPID or BLIND?

naynbritt

you already have the WET awards its called the Country Music Awards.....

Ginger

If blacks continue to have an attitude like #22, blacks will play the "victim card". Get over it! nobody owes you anything!!!!!!!!

calilife4me

OH YEAH....I FORGOT ABOUT:

THE COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS

Mission

No, there is no WET anything stupid assholes. Get your head out of your ancestors ass and you might see it's YOU who are perpetuating racial hate with "all things 'black'".

I'd rather read more about Paris. Next frivolous Paris entry please.

cher

yes sir, Robin is in. Hes the best... WIN WIN WIN.......

get a life

I AM SITTING READING SOME OF THESE RACIST COMMENTS #8, #11 & #17, I AGREE WITH #22 AND I THING YOU GUYS NEED TO READ THAT COMMENT.

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10

There are times in all of our lives where we become a little weak and when this happens fear can step in. There are times when we just don't feel like going through the motions of another day, or another situation. We get tired of smiling on the outside, but hurting on the inside. As we get prepared to start the day and we begin to think about all the things we are going to go through in the day, it almost makes us want to call in sick and not even get out of the bed. Unfortunately there are no sick days in life. Each and every day we have to live the life God has given us, rather we feel like it or not. I encourage you to know God will be with you as you go throughout your day. You don't have to be afraid you don't have to fear what today holds, because you already know who holds today. You don't have to worry, or be down because God has the plan for your life. God has promised you He would be with you, and unlike some of your friends God won't leave you when things get tough. When things get tough that's exactly when God will step in and be there for you. God has promised He would strengthen you, so even when you are feeling a little weak and feel like you can't make it God will strengthen you. Through your good days and your bad days God will strengthen you. Not only will He strengthen you He will hold you up when you feel like falling, He will pick you up when you do fall. In every stage of your life God is there for you. Let God strengthen your heart today, and let Him have control of your life and your situation. You can stop feeling down, depressed or even lonely because through it all God is going is making a way for you. I pray this is the last pity party you will have for yourself, I pray God will strengthen and keep you through every situation in your life. God loves you, and wants to strengthen you, and hold you in His arms, please let Him do that for you.

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THIS IS THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE. STOP PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN AND HELP/GUIDE OTHERS. IT IS NOT FOR YOU TO JUDGE OTHERS.

NOT a fan of TMZ

The Country Music Awards? If a black person was nominated, I can tell you they would NOT make TMZ news!! They wouldn't do or say a god damn thing about it !

BET is almost like a CULT it seems! Mo'nique is a stupid, ignorant bitch. Her "life coaches" are probably Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton... the TOP TWO most racist human beings in American History!

annab

i saw him on oprah, and was left wondering how he even got a record deal. he sounded just like george michael. whatever...........................................

Teacamp

Mommy make the white man stop! What is the world coming to?
Hold on..............Tiger Woods did take over golf; we owe them (white people) one.

We (Black people) still would not be lost without him for the record!
My girl loves him, to me it sounds like he has a throat problem.
T~

calilife4me

35. I agree with #8 & #14. Black Entertainment Television is a racist name in itself. Organizations like this are the one's who continue to separate the races.

Posted at 2:18PM on Jun 14th 2007 by Ginger
==
SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? THEY CALL IT MTV AND SHOW WHITE PEOPLE ALL DAY?

BTW - FOR ALL THE IGNORANTS, BET IS NOT BLACK OWNED!

IDIOTS!

Grumpy old man

Whatever (like all the rest)... please quite the bitchin'. You know damn well, there's NO BLACK COUNTRY singer so, the "what if" factor DOES NOT apply. And, BET has been around for what... 26 yrs. now. Don't tell me, you whites just figured out that it exists...

Oooh, the horror!!! lol Get the hell outta here.

Marshall Jefferson

For all of the posters who are crying about the BET awards being racists need to stick an egg in their shoes and beat it. For many years black people weren't even a part of award shows, or they were relegated to one single category. BET was started about twenty-five years ago as a platform for R&B/Soul artists to give their videos some airtime. If anyone can remember when MTV first started they didn't show anyone of color. They left a little bit of space for Michael Jackson and Eddie Grant (Electric Avenue). So I don't want to hear it!

come on

tiger woods is a perfect example. He is the best in a mainly white sport, and are white people whinning and crying about it no. Because he's good and thats the end of it, it has nothing to do with his color and white people are more accepting of that.