Birkhead To Opri -- B**ch, Don't Spend My Money

6/19/2007 5:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained Larry Birkhead's new legal attack on Debra Opri. This time, he's asking for an injunction, prohibiting his fired lawyer from spending around $600,000 she's holding hostage in her client trust account.

Birkhead made the money after inking a million-dollar deal with Bravo network. Birkhead has sued Opri, alleging she put the money in her trust account without his consent, and then sent him a ginormous bill.

In an interesting turn, the lawyer for IMG, the agency that represents Opri, turned on her. Regan McGorry writes in a declaration that "Debra directed IMG, and in a telephone call directed IMG and Television Network [Bravo] to wire the initial payment of approximately $866,250 into her attorney client trust account. Debra informed me that she had full authority to have this money wired into said trust account." Wrong!

In Birkhead's declaration, he says, "I need protection to make certain that Opri does not and cannot abscond with my money."

Previous 15 Comments | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46

Behind the HardRock

Behind the HardRock

Correction: I would think the 1099 wouldn't be filed until the end of 2007 anyway and, unitl disbursed, it would go to Opri's law firm since it's in trust.

Pampster

669. I've heard it said that LB got a 1099 for the money paid out pursuant to his media deal with NBC. Since he got paid this year (and the money went to Opri) wouldn't her tax ID be on the money until it is disbursed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think it really matters. It's all Larry's income whether he ends up using it to pay Opri or not.

Jon's a grwon man...he did this to himself!

While we can all PLAY judge and jury in Larry's lawsuit and Opri's bill, these are complex issues which will be decided by the court system. In the mean time, Larry has tied the money up with his filings and they sit in his client trust account. And, no, Opri does NOT get the interest off the account.

Behind the HardRock

672. The tax liability issue is one of Larry's issues with Opri. I'm a little confused as the original amount was over a mil and the check that went into the account was around $850,000. Opri released $200,000 Birkhead requested leaving around $650,000 in the account. What happened to the money left out of the check from the original amount?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
When the media outlet issued the first check of $850k to Opri/Birkheads client trust account, the balance was issued directly to Larry--I believe it was around $200K. An Additional $200K was sent by Opri to Larry leaving the $650K balance in trust.

Larry received around $400K so far. I realize he's liable for taxes for the full amount---we're all in the same boat there, paying taxes and then our debts. My point being, I wouldn't think he would get a 1099 until the end of the year since he made the money in 2007.

Thanks for the responses...

Just leave Larry alone and let him do what he thinks is best

Behind the HardRock

677. The bill is too high. The courts will have to decide. I think Opri was angry because Larry let her go and that is why she charged so much. The courts will decide. I see that Opri has hired her bunch of people to slander Larry too. Now Vergies friends and relatives are slandering Larry. Opri's hired help are slandering Larry and Howard's friends, relatives and hired help is slandering Larry. It's not right.

Posted at 9:13PM on Jun 25th 2007 by Billy

_______________________________
I'd like to see what happens in court too. I did see the contracts Larry signed with Opri back in September--something I didn't know until now. What it says is that she will represent him to obtain media deals and publicity. In hindsight, with Larry on LK & Greta, OK, etc., etc., etc., it looks like it's true. He corroborated what she said in her filing by his own actions.

Back in the day, we might have thought that LB used media opportunities solely to pay his attorney fees for his battle to obtain a paternity test. Now we see that he obtained that but now when its time to pay her, he filed suit against her. In his suit, he claimed that there was to be money for a "project". What project? Why so vague, Larry? From her filing, we can see "project" was a media deal but he didn't want to come right out with that in his lawsuit.

By Larry hiring Trope to sue Opri, and Trope being the son of Ron Rale's law parter, I'd say there is a definate connection between LB and HKS. If Howard didn't encourage LB to sue Opri, why did Larry use someone affiliated with Howard? Aren't there a lot of other attorneys (not related to the situation) that he could have hired? Opri claimed that there were meetings between Howard and LB prior to her discontinuing her representation of LB. HKS is an attorney--on the opposing side. LB was unrepresented in his discussions with Larry--obviously, Larry isn't an attorney himself.

So, go ahead and think we're all on anyone's side other than DL. The truth is, the facts speak for themselves. Why you or anyone else can't understand that this whole deal stinks is beyond me.

I originally thought Opri's bill was unreasonable too, but if you read her filing you'll see that she claimed she loaned her clothes and husbands clothes to LB and his sister for the court appearances--that's why the dry cleaning bill. Opri and LB stayed rent free at a house for a week or so in FL, the dinner he paid for was a thank you for their hospitality and was cheaper than a hotel would have been for everyone there. I guess the fact that that wasn't even mentioned before on TMZ when they posted the bill showed there was no effort to show both sides of the story.

By the way, I've been on here since 2/8 using the same name--so I have no dog in this fight and have been hired by no one. Just as you're posting your opinion, I'm posting mine. Did someone have to hire you?

Melody

None of these documents say anything about $2,000 dinners. Lawyers on court tv spoke out against Opri and her outrageous fees. Opri should do jail time for this.

She should be paying Larry for her chance to be on tv.

Previous 15 Comments | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46