Should TMZ Be Held In Contempt?

6/20/2007 1:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

OJ SimpsonThe legal trustee who is in control of the OJ Simpson manuscript "If I Did It" is upset at TMZ for publishing a link to the manuscript and running a story with several excerpts. The trustee is asking a judge to hold TMZ in contempt of court.

Last week, a judge gave the trustee authority to sell the manuscript and give the proceeds to the Goldman family. Fred Goldman, who was initially outraged that Simpson would try and peddle a book about how he might have committed the killings, had a change of heart and wanted the script sold and the proceeds directed his way.

In the court papers filed today, the lawyer for the trustee wrote, "...during the time that the Manuscript was published on the TMZ Website, literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people, downloaded the Manuscript, and now hold [the] property on their hard drives, property that is now freely transferable around the globe at the click of a mouse."

The legal papers claim "TMZ blatantly and intentionally violated the automatic stay." Last week, the judge had ordered the parties involved in the case or their agents not to disseminate the manuscript.

The trustee's lawyer is asking the judge to order TMZ to reveal how it obtained the manuscript. The lawyer also wants the judge to require TMZ "to show cause why it should not be held in contempt of this Court...."

mySTRONGopinion

I'm no OJ fan but if I'm not mistaken he was found INNOCENT in a court of law. The mere fact you wrote "killer" OJ disturbed me. This manuscript should be burned and nobody make money of this. I sure won't buy it. I'm sorry for the Goldman family but they need to let go and live their life. and yes, I have lost a loved one and this just keeps the pain in the forefront and leave no time for healing.

YES TMZ you have indeed crossed the line. The others scumbags are the ones invading peoples privacy - hanging out of trees, etc. to take a picture. YOU SHOULD BE HELD IN CONTEMPT>

mom

This whole thing is such a traggety. I can see why the Goldmans wouldn't want the book released. I can also understand why they would want it released. They must be so torn over what happen to their son!!! God be with them and shame on anyone who hurts them. If TMZ has done something against the Goldmans they need to talk to the Goldmans and explain their reasons then try to make amenz for their actions. This family has been through enough already. Our justice system failed them by not convicting OJ for what he did. I am glad the Goldmans took this to a civil court and WON! They are a brave family and I would be proud to have parents like them. They raised their son well. I am sure he was kind, loving, funny, eduacted, respectful and "working". What more could you ask of your children? What if this were your son? I am sure that a part of them wants to put the memories of his murder away forever, but the part where justice was not served through our courts and OJ walked away could also drive them to want everyone to know what that scumm bag did to their little boy. I know if this had happened to my son I would do the same things they are doing!!!!.

NOT a fan of TMZ

#44... Why should they let it go?

They might be more likely to let it go it O.J. was in PRISON where he BELONGS!

They'd be more willing to let it go if it weren't in their FACE all the time that he's such a prick! (Thanks again TMZ!)

They might be willing to let it go if O.J. wasn't trying to PROFIT off the MURDER OF THEIR CHILD - when he owes them HOW much money!!

I bet we'd never hear a WORD from them, if he'd just DIE already!

TH

OJ is a blight on humanity! Stop giving him press as if he matters. The fate of his victims would be too merciful a demise for this piece of human debris. Hey, TMZ - go after the neanderthal.

Billy Z

Come on Harvey, you should know better.

ANGEL

I THINK IT IS WRONG THAT TMZ HAS TRIED TO MAKE THE GOLDMANS LOOK BAD BY SAYING WHAT YOU DID - THEY HAVE SUFFERED ENOUGH - YES TMZ SHOULD BE HELD IN COMTEMPT JUST FOR THAT REASON ALONE

JOAQUOVIA DEBANQUEZ

TMZ should not be held in contempt of court. Simply doing your job.

OJ got off by killing 2 people. The book should have come out. It would be interesting to see what else the killer OJ has to say. Maybe about his close-mouthed-hush-hush affair with Kato Kaelin.

Now as far as the idiots here saying Free Paris, come on. get a life! she is nothing but a name and a waste of space. Glad she is in jail!

Way to go TMZ!~ Keep up the good work!!!!

Kelly

I think that TMZ should be held in comtempt. They need to do something to fix this. They take everything and twist it into lies.....

As for all the people that are saying that OJ should die or slit his own throat, even wishing that he had cancer - you should all be ashamed. It is not ok for anyone to take another persons life and in my book, wishing that someone would kill themselfs of suffer from cancer is just plain wrong. None of you arn't any better than OJ. I am not saying that I agree with OJ or with the book, but come on - I hope that someone day OJ will admit to what he did and be sentenced to pay for it -

megn

Random #36 Post You stated "by continually trying to find a way to recoup in a financial way ......" for the Goldman's. What other way is available to this poor family? Really, what would you do if the murderer of your child got off? You, at least, are an intelligent poster. Some of these people need to put a little more effort into their GED. Everything is "I hate" or "He's gay" or some other hateful, petty response. I know they are often the same people because we recognize them by their bad grammer and spelling errors. The Goldmans put their trust in the system and look how well that turned out for them. Really, what other avenue is open to this family?

U

But I've read this manuscript before on another site....well, if not the manuscript, then this portion of the book is public knowledge anyway, so what's the big deal. It's still not the whole book, those who want the whole sordid detail will still buy the book. Anyway, TMZ shouldn't have put it up.

smilesarefree

Free TMZ! Free TMZ! Who cares about this stupid transcript anyway.No one was going to buy it...it tells us little or nothing.

Movie Ticket Buyer

TMZ works for it's readers, and digs out the truth. I admire that they aren't afraid to print those truths. As for OJ....what is left that can be said, however; the Goldman family are lookin more and more like money grubbing losers. The didn't want that book published UNTIL it was decided they would get the moneys from the sale of it....they are milking their son's death with a celebrity for all it's worth....or....they are just plain sickos

ORPHANS IN UNITED STATES NEEDS JUST AS MUCH HELP , STARTS AT "HOME ( USA )

TMZ...........THAT WAS THE BEST THING YOU COULD OF DONE

O.J. THAT MAN SHOULD BE IN PRISON FOR THE REST OF

HIS MISERABLE LIFE , HE KILLED OR PAID SOMEONE TO KILL

HIS NICOLE AND RON GOLDMAN ......WHO THE HELL DOES HE

THINK HE'S KIDING .........HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHO DONE IT .

THERE'S NO "WHAT IF " STORY , HE DID IT ...........

TMZ SHOULDNT BE HELD IN CONTEMPT, OJ IS ONLY LOOKING FOR

MONEY TO LIVE HIS EXPENSIVE LIFE STYLE , I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR

HIM , HE'S A LOUSY PERSON , HE WILL ROT IN HELL ..........HE'S A KILLER .

CAN'T HELP THE TRUTH HURTS, BUT ITS TRUE ABOUT O.J.SIMPSON .

I WATCHED THAT TRAIL FOR ALL THOSE MONTHS AND ACTUALLY FOR YEARS.

HE'S BEING WATCHED 24 / 7 , YOU CAN'T TRUST A LOW DOWN PERSON LIKE HIM.

O.J IS ONE MAN I HATE SO MUCH , AND NORMALLY I DONT HATE , BUT WITH

HIM , I DO .......HE'S A MURDER ................

Ronald Raygun

#54......What does being Jewish have anything to do with this? If Fred Goldman was any other religion would you say the same thing? Why don't you keep stereotyping out of you stupid argument.

All American Girl

TMZ you are the news. Its your job to report great gossip that gives fact. You did nothing wrong. You gave us a glimpse at the book. Nothing that none of us could have figured out.