Wrestling Superstar Found Dead

6/25/2007 7:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE superstar Chris Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy and young son were found dead in their Atlanta home early this afternoon, this according to WWE.com.

No further details regarding the tragedy have been released. Benoit was scheduled to appear at a pay-per-view event last night ... WWE said that there was a "family emergency" that prevented him from being there.

Benoit, a former World Heavyweight Champ, wreaked havoc with his signature move, the "Crippler Crossface."

The incident comes on the heels of the shocking death of former WWE wrestler "Sensational" Sherri Martel, and the supposed "assassination" of WWE head honcho Vince McMahon. TMZ has learned that the WWE is scrapping all references to the McMahon death storyline on tonight's episode of "Raw.'

According to the official WWE website, tonight's "Raw" will serve as a tribute to the wrestling great.

Police are investigating the incident.

UPDATE: ABC News is reporting that the deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide.

Nomi

Chris was such a super talented man. How sad such a tragic end to the lives of all three. I am not yet convinced tho, that Chris actually did this. Chris always seemed to be such a genuine person, and polite, always won his matchs with talent and ability, not trickery, and cheating. It is still possible someone else did this and he is the intended fall guy. It is hard to believe he would have chosen such horrible ends of life for the three of them. One way or the other, it is so very sad. I pray all three rest in peace.

Cheryl Soto

What's up with 99% of celebrities? they have plenty of money & still want to be on drugs. what do people see in drugs 7 alcohol? they just look stupid. There should be a mandatory law for EVERYONE for ramdom drug testing! & who knows, someone could of murdered this wrestler 7 his family. look at anna nicole 7 her son? who even gave a damn about them?

omg

Chris wasn't in it for the money. He truly loved wrestling and the business.

Why are the police so easily to jump the gun on the murder/suicide angle? Why aren't they looking at other possibilities? Aren't you supposed to look at all the evidence? Not just the one that will fit your claims? I dont know. It's all very messed up.

rita

I have some questions that to me are not making any sense. Or maybe I just cannot except the facts. First off the media says the little boy had autism. They said that family and friends told them but, why did the grandparents and all the friends say they had no idea. All of the wrestlers that were interviewed said they had no idea. The grandmother said she watched him all the time and spent allot of time with him. She said he was a normal boy.
The first time it was heard was from the WWE Attorney. Or did the attorney make it up to make everyone stray away from the roid rage.
I am sure they test for factor X in the autopsy so maybe we will know at some point in time. The other thing is how do we even know it was over the kid? When you see both interviews of Linda and Vince M. in their interviews every time they bring up steroids they start talking about a retarded child which no one knew about even family and friends. Now tell me why in hell would they know.
Then this mystery of the person who posts that Nancy is dead before anyone knows. Oh and they just happen to be in the same location as the WWE headquarters. SOMETHING STINKS!
So they said he killed her first. Her hands and feet were bound and she was wrapped in a towel. If your going crazy with roid rage would you stop and think wow I need to tie her up. The other thing is why did a big guy like that have to tie her up? That makes no sense. If he was in a so called rage and was mad and attacked her. He would just do a body slam, or choke hold her. He could drop her like a fly without a drop of blood. The being tied up to me makes no sense at all. Unless someone else tied her up and made him watch her be killed. Then they killed the boy later and then him. They strung it out over two days to torture him before they then hung him. Why did he not leave a note.I know many suicides don't.
He could have been told to send the text to his friends and use both phones. Or maybe he was really calling for help.
I would like to hear if anyone other then the WWE attorney, Vince and Linda know about the child.
Everyone else knew nothing how did they know? Or are they starting a rumor to get off of the roid rage. I would think the grandparent's would know. They even have baby-sat him. They said he was a normal boy.
This is all really weird and I just do not want to believe it,
What's to say that when he came home she said she wanted a divorce or she was having an affair. The thing I am saying is this is all weird and there is more to this story and I hope the police do not take the easy way out.
Please do not just write this off as a suicide. Please explore all options so the right person pays for it.
I also do not think it right for all the removal of articles and things associated with Chris until they know for sure! Even if it is as they say it is ,It is still history. He is a part of history good or bad you cannot change it. They don't wipe things out of the history books.
The other thing is I do not think the tribute was such a bad thing. The reason is because the wrestlers also needed to say goodbye. Even though it was awful they knew and loved him. I think it was great closure for them.
The WWE is not letting them talk to anyone. So it was good they got to say goodbye to their friend. We may never know what happened. I hope we do get some answers when all the tests come in. I just hope all avenues are explored.
God bless both family's and all the friends!
I pray that you receive the answers that you need!
Peace!

Jon Bodack

This is a shame!

TBone

Chris BEnoit was always a professional in the ring..I am shocked and saddened about the whole thing!

LadySusi

For scott meigel and Hadeeth,
Well, well, well.........For someone who did not do steroids there sure were a lot of unnecessary steriods and other drugs found in his home.
Not to mention from MNBC he was getting a 6 month supply of steriods every 3 to 4 weeks.
He had also taken in the past GHB the date rape drug...........hmmmmmmmmmm!!
Hadeeth you may well be correct but it won't be those of us who have not made a GOD of this man.
NOBODY can maintain a body like that without help.
Someone needs to tear the WWE apart and fine
Good ol Vince McMahon for this because it is nobody's fault as much as he and Chris Benoit.
My daughter met him once when she worked at a major hotel.
You said " Chris Benoit was an amazing, legendary wrestler and he was taken away to early."
Well who do you think took him away????
It wasn't anyone here.
While I am ay it here I'd love to say the it if anyone believes that some hacker from Stamford Connecticut was not paid off to admit to changing the Benoit's Wikiopedia it appears very strange indeed that they just HAPPENED to live in the same area as the WWE Headquarters.
Those defending Chris might be ashamed to also know that the DA in Georiga has stated that the child was killed with a choke hold.
Are you all STUPID enough to think his Mother did it.
I think not, even good ol McMahon called him a monster.
Whatcha think about that??????

Susi

Christine

Truthfully, I never watched WWE, or wrestling in general, but from what I have heard on the news and such, Chris Beniot seemed like a true family man and a great wrestler. All of that and the fact that his Wikipedia site was changed some length of time before any of the bodies were found leads me to believe that Chris Beniot did not murder his wife and son, and then committ sucide. I think that someone had to have known, maybe the friends he sent the txts too? I know if I sent some strange txts with my pyshical address and telling them which door was unlocked, then they would have called me, come over to see if everything is okay, im almost positive that Beniot DID NOT kill Nancy and Daniel but they were all murdered, there is some 'brilliant' (using the word in the negative sense) mind behind this killing. Two people related with the wrestling world died suspiously since Vince McMahon was going to do that storyline in which his limo blows up. If that's not odd and suspicious i don't know what is. Just out of curiosity, wat is the story behind the first death?

vickie

I am Sherry,s Sister
My sister was a wonderful person inside and out.
on behalf of my self & MOM we would like 2 thank (ALL)
of sherry,s wrestleing familey and friends.
she loved every one.Our loss is moor than just a sister&
daughter . She belonged 2 everyone
VICKIE //Email - sanvinna@aol.com )
would like 2 hear from you thinking about finishing her BOOK
what do you think

JERRY

how can this things happened out of no where. it sad that did happened. especially when a young child its involved.

Jordan

This is absoloutely heartbreaking.

Kevin T.

Whats with all the murdered families in the news lately?

TJ

First!!!

Leigh

This is so sad! He was suck a good wrestler....one of my favs actually! He is going to be missed greatly! My prayers are missed are with his family!

RIP Benoit