Benoit Murder Details Revealed

6/26/2007 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chris BenoitTMZ has learned more about the deaths of WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit, his wife and son -- and the information is extremely disturbing.

Several Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday's WWE "Vengeance" Pay-Per-View program -- possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home.

A police investigation is ongoing.

Andrew

Benoit was one of the greatest wrestlers of all time there is no denieing that, no matter what he did in his personal life he was great. Its so hard to see a person you grew up watching a man who was so great become this but i will keep an open mind as to what happen for benoits sake. He damn hell earned my respect a long time ago and damnit it to hell he has all my respect until the actual proof and information come forth. The Beniot family has my prayers at heart and Beniot you do to. The Pegasus Kid ladies and gentlemen has flown away.

ok

you people ever stop to think somebody could have murdered all of them and set it up to look like benoit killed the wife and kid and then himself? stuff like this DOES happen. nobody knows for sure but lets not jump the gun and say "oh but the police say they THINK its this and that, so it must be... hes such a coward" etc etc.

even when the police do claim to know what happened and make it public that doesnt mean it is what happened. as one person said, many people who have a family member that was murdered know it usually goes "unsolved" i know im one of those people.

The Expatriot

Wresitling makies you smaaaat.

Rich

I think Best is said about Chris RIH ''REST IN HELL''
I Cant stand the fact that WWE waisted 3 hours on USA for Chris!
I can ONLY Hope that they knew NONE OF the facts at that time

shortydolphin8674

I can honestly say that I was shocked and dismayed by this story. My fiance and I have seen many matches with Chris Benoit in them and he always seemed like such a good guy. It's really too bad that not a soul knew what was going on in this family's day to day life to not be able to prevent such a sadistic tragedy from happening. You have to wonder honestly how messed up Benoit was on whatever he may have been taking. I think maybe he just snapped one day and there was no turning back from there. Either that or maybe he killed his wife, then figured there was no reason for him or his child to live. I'm not justifying his actions, only bringing up other possibilities for his motives. I think this is a very senseless and tragic crime that could have been prevented.

Investigator

Phone Message
Friends
Victims
Benoit divorced
Reason
Alcohol...?

We still don't know for sure what happened, but the pieces together make up a pretty disturbed and violent context.

- A roid rage due to long term steroid use
- Violence is violent to the violent
- Investigators are more clever than what's obvious, the family was not killed by some unknown maniac
- The crime was not planned
- The suicide was not planned
- Chris had deep problems
- Chris saw a divorce coming, could not handle it this time
- The aggression made Chris uncontrollable
-> WHY?!

My conclusion:
I think Chris's life style created family problems that made his wife wanting a divorce, possibly after a secret affair by his wife. He saw a divorce coming and could not handle the aggressions he felt inside. The way he responded was not at all planned, the long term violence in his life probably catched up on him resulting in the murder of his wife, at that point he was uncontrollable due to the long term use of stereoids. When he realised what he had done he realised it was over. He wanted to commit suicide but realised what pain he would cause his son at his age when he would find out about them both being death, he saw no options than to kill his son as well. Then he hanged himself.

So I think the crime was not planned, there was something very bad between him and his wife, the context of his earlier life, the stereoids and violance made him flip, he was then unable to handle the situation with his kid and that's why the kid was murdered as well.

A very very bad crime! RIP...

debbie

I hope that in time more information will come out as to why this occured. I agree that there must have been more going on then just steroid abuse. There had to be a reason why Chris Benoit flew back to his home via most likely conversations with his wife or idea's. It is surely a shame that he took the life of his child I can only think with this tragic event he must have snapped to a place where minds can go. Rest in peace Benoit family

Rose

It is so tragic that it ended like this. There should be no hatred or anger for I doubt we will ever understand what he was going through. I hope his wife and son will forgive him in heaven and his soul will find peace.

Shane Bennett

Wow. I agree that this is a tragedy but what really overwhelms me are the adenda's this case allows you people to push. Even if the guy is a murderer of a woman and child who's place is it to say that he has a special place reserved in hell? I am sure that you are all Christian's but I just wonder if you ever read more of that Bible that says not to judge people. It is so embarassing to me to see people look at this tragedy and quickly presume to know everything. There is no way to know the torment that surrounded that family and for how long. Why is it always our place to judge people? And the steroids thing??? Smoke and Mirrors...

Jesse Bradford

At first i wasn't surprised of benoits death,I thought he died from steroids.But to learn what he really did,Im just stunned and blown away.I will always have chills about this,it wont be as bad now but itll never go away. WWE doesnt want to do a tribute to a murderer and a damn coward. I really respected him,but he pissed that away in one fell swoop. i

peekay23

What a hero may have used a choke hold to kill his kid. Coward.
Fayette (Ga.) County District Attorney Scott Ballard told ABC News that it’s believed Daniel Benoit died in a chokehold. Here is the link: http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3320736&page=1

Levi182

Its just so hard to have watched and admired him for years and then to find that he wasn't that person at all. I don't know if its certain what really happened yet but i need to just express that the WWE showed the tribute before they knew what had happened and as soon as they did, removed everything they had to do with him. I'm saddened and shocked, i know nothing can justify his actions but i enjoyed watching him and i will miss his presence at the next WWE event.

Ryan

@ Michael Robert Hanrahan, debbie, Kheng Hui:

Thank you for taking the high road here. While we all agree that it's tragic, I don't think people should be passing judgment as they have.

Think of it this way... What if he found out via telephone that his wife was cheating on him, and that the child wasn't his? What if she was going to take his child and threatened that he would never see Daniel again? What if....?

None of us know what went through his head. None of us. You try taking chair shots to the head for 22 years, and see if you don't come out a little screwed up.

Steroids? Sure! Try performing an activity like professional wrestling, putting your body through hell 5 or 6 days a week for years, then check if your recovery ability is compromised. I guarantee it is. Without the steroids, these athletes couldn't do what they do. Steroids promote recovery, nothing more. They don't make you huge through some magical process. They help your body to recover from injury faster.

Try taking into consideration the terrible pressures faced by celebrities on a daily basis. You cannot possibly understand what it's like, and yet feel justified in vilifying this man despite that fact. He's not the only person that's committed a disgusting act in this case...

Was it wrong? Yes it was. Should you crucify a man that clearly was suffering from some sort of psychosis? I guess that's up to you.

Personally, I believe in forgiving people, not vilifying them to make myself feel better about an ugly situation.

Chris was an amazing wrestler, and a benevolent man until this happened. He was a visionary, and single handedly advanced the sports entertainment genre.

He will be missed by people all around the world, despite his apparent breakdown. And shame on anyone that can't find a little compassion in their hearts for a clearly disturbed individual.

STORM1007125

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE REMAINDING FAMILY MEMBERS OF BENOIT!
PEOPLE TALK ABOUT A MURDER SUICIDE! GET A GRIP! SOMETHING WAS GOING ON!
BENOIT LOVED WRESTLING MORE THAN ANYTHING, WHY WOULD HE JUST BACK OUT OF A MATCH? FAMILY EMERGENCY--YEAH RIGHT! WHAT IF HE OR HIS FAMILY WERE THREATENED! WHAT IF HE GOT HOME AND FOUND THEM DEAD AND COULD'NT COPE, SNAPPED OR FREAKED OUT AND THEN HUNG HIMSELF!!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!! ONLY BENOIT AND GOD HIMSELF KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!!! HE LOVED WRESTLING! HE LOVED HIS WIFE AND CHILD! IT'S EASY TO SPECULATE WHEN NO-ONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! NEWSPAPERS PRINT ANYTHING TO MAKE A BUCK!! EVEN THE POLICE CAN'T REALLY SAY OR PROVE WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED WITH BENOIT AND HIS FAMILY!!!!
REST IN PEACE WOLVERINE!!! YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!

wrestingisforidiots

what a waste of space for a freakin' loser . maybe more pro wrestlers will bite the dust. what a bunch of stupid hooey. i am glad he is gone. one more loser off the planet.
have fun eating boogers, people.