Benoit Murder Details Revealed

6/26/2007 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chris BenoitTMZ has learned more about the deaths of WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit, his wife and son -- and the information is extremely disturbing.

Several Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday's WWE "Vengeance" Pay-Per-View program -- possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home.

A police investigation is ongoing.

Jon

RIP Benoit.
I don't care what you people say, Chris was LEGALLY prescribed those drugs, he was a good, honest, working man. People snap. To me, he is not a cold blooded, evil murderer. To me, he is Chris Benoit, the best technical wrestler after Bret Heart. He provided some of the greatest matches I have ever seen.
And before ANYONE says anything, I am aware it's all set up in advance, and isn't actual fighting, I watch it as entertainment, not a sport. Like other television shows.

Why he took the lives of his wife and child before is not known to me, and I don't want to know. I don't care about his personal life, or his supposed 'history' of domestic violence. If Nancy feared Chris' temper, she should have left. To me, a great wrestler and entertainer has been lost.

Again, RIP Benoit. Join Eddie. RIP to you both.

Gary

Unfortunately all we really know is three lives were lost in this tragedy. There is no good in this situation. May we all realize the importance of healthy, balanced relationships. May all fathers and husbands including me examine the man behind the closed doors of our home and may we strive to be at our best and not accept less from ourselves. I am so sorry for this tragedy. As a father of a ten year old and a five year old, this hits home. What we do dads can make all the difference in the world. Do what is right and pray that I may as well. Respectfully...

lina

Everyone is looking at him fro this but people need to look at Vince also he pushed and pushed him and now look what that got now he is saying that chris is a monster yes he might be but Vince is a bigger one then him!

Brandie

I don't understand why people are so surprised about Chris Benoit doing this nasty stuff. People do this kind of stuff all the time. Remeber Andrea Yates? She killed FIVE of her kids in a bath tub. What about the men that kill their pregnant wife and girlfriends? What needs to be figured out is how and why somebody could be pushed so far over the edge that they feel they have no other choice than to take the lives of people they love. And who do we hold responsible? Obviously Chris was the one who took thoes innocent lives but I keep hearing stuff about 'roid' rage. If that truly is part if not all of the problem then wouldn't the WWE be partly responsible for what happened? After all they want the men who wrestle for them to be huge bear type men. Just like Hollywood where people are expected to be thin and attarctive there are issues with eating disorders and people dying from being way to thin and not eating as well as drug problems among other things, the men in the WWE are expected to be large and tough and be able to do things normal people wouldn't. WWE is also a form of entertainment like a mens soap opera. I think they intentionaly don't want to be considered a sport so they don't have to drug test because they want the men who work for them to be able to take drugs to increase their size and muscle mass. Maybe it's time that the WWE was just as regulated as any sport is. I don't think anybody could have seen this coming but doesn't that make it even more important that every percaution is taken to make sure that no more innocent lives are lost? In no way do I hold WWE totaly responsible for what happened but maybe if they weren't so worried about ratings and money that they could pull their heads out of their butts and see that action does need to be taken. I pray to God that somebody does something about the steroid issues they have there before another innocent person gets hurt or is killed. I wonder if poor little Daniel would agree with me? I guess we will never know. :( RIP!

Allen Doss

This is a very sad situation but it goes to show just how truly terrible steroids are. Maybe this will serve as a wake up call to everyone professional and amateur a like that there are hazards beyond cancer to steroid use. Roid Rage as it has come to be known is a very real and side effect of steroid use. I feel for the families and pray that God will bring peace to them and that something good will come out of this. I hope that this serves as a wake up call to al the youth who are fans of professional wrestling that fitness can be achieved with out the having to cheat and rely on steroids.

Dynamo47

Unlike most people, I immediately thought he did it.

He is a piece of garbage and should rot in Hell and not in peace. It's one thing to kill his Wife which was horrible but to kill his own child? He had plenty of opportunity to call someone to take his child out of the house if the cowardly piece of $%#* wanted to kill himself rather then face the music.

As a wrestling fan I hope the Feds get involved as start to investigate the WWE. They can deny until they are blue in the face but Vince McMahon encouraged and encourages the wrestlers to "juice" as it is more impressive for ratings. McMahon is just as much a piece of crap.

He will count the ratings for airing the tribute despite knowing the deaths were being investigated as a murder suicide. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew public knowledge meant huge ratings. I hope he is happy now as he has more blood on his hands.

Think there is no link to this horror, wrestling and Vince McMahon. Think again. This is a list of just some of the wrestlers who have had either heart attacks or premature deaths where steroids was a factor. Some may argue that they were not always with the WWF/WWE but that only makes my argument more compelling. When WCW folded there was one game in town left and that was the WWE where is was widely known that Vince encouraged the wrestlers to juice.

Ravishing Rick Rude
Flyin Brian Pillman
Mr. Perfect, Curt Henning
Davey Boy Smith aka The British Bulldog
Road Warrior Hawk
Crash Holly
Eddie Guerrero
And now Chris Benoit

Watch any WWE telecast and you will be able to see that a large majority of the wrestlers look so blown up that you could pop them with a pin. How long before another wrestler is added to the list?

Shannible

I understand he was a wrestler, a good one, for many years (I've actually seen him wrestle hundreds of times), and I understand the people that think the tribute was due because of that. It's hard to reconcile the fact that he killed his wife and child, hung around with the bodies, then killed himself, though. I don't think his career should be discounted, but frankly, I don't think a three hour tribute was called for. I think (and hope) if you stopped and really, really put yourself in the wife or child's place, and looked at his face while he choked the life out of you, and felt that horror, you'd think maybe a smaller tribute, or at least a LATER tribute, would have been more appropriate. Not to mention the message that sends to the kids that look up to these guys. Kids shouldn't hear about this, but there are a lot of stupid parents out there, so it's inevitable. At the very least, McMahon and WWE ought to make it very clear they do NOT condone these acts. Yanno what, if I was the wife's family, I'd be outraged and horrified at that tribute. Let some time pass, then put together a little tribute to his career. Have a little compassion for the VICTIMS rather than the killer.

kat-illac

69. Here's some things you people need to realize:

1) There is still an investigation that is still going on.

2) The live broadcast was canceled and was recorded BEFORE the details were released.

3) Professional Wrestling is not real, they have already told you "do not try this at home" so WWE doesn't have to "dissolve" anything. So stop with shoving politics down our throats.

4) Until we find out exactly what happened then no one can just jump to conclusions like they were trained detectives just because they caught CSI or Law and Order on TV and POOF! That guy's a detective.

Maybe you should stop to think that WWE is just as confused as we all are.

Posted at 12:32PM on Jun 26th 2007 by Brian of OnlineWorldOfWrestling.com

-------
I agree110%. Even though I am not a WWE fan, I think people are too quick to judge. It is a job in the entertainment industry. like any other. Many other sports use steriods. and I don't think anyone is disputing that they can be dangerous, but in our search for understanding, we tend to grasp at any straw, take up any cause. Let us all wait for the final reports, until then, we can just offer our prayers to the family and friends, and even a few for ourselves to be given a little peace in the shadow of this horrible tragedy.
Rest in Peace, Little Angel boy.

lisalisatheoneiadore

question because i don't like passing judgement without facts: are we sure the wife died first or is that up for determination?
i just ask because what if SHE killed her son because she was overwhelmed by the day in & day out care of a child with special needs. it does happen. & what if he killed her for killing his son? i guess that all goes out the window if she for sure died first.
i wanted to think that maybe he was fighting with her & it went too far & he killed her by accident & then the son's death in his eyes would be more of a mercy killing kind of thing...but that all goes out the window too if she was tied up.
i don't know.
we'll never know.
& i guess it's not our business to know afterall.
but this is a tragedy & despite the fact that he is a murder, it is still okay to mourn the loss of chris as well. he has family & friends that love him. people don't just up & kill their families for no reason..there had to be more going on so to villify him isn't the answer either.
the focus should be on compassion, forgiveness & healing, not hating, & wishing someone would rot in hell.

Nomi

Am I the only one who thinks someone other than Chris did this horrible deed? It is a horrible, sad tragedy. If Chris did do this something had to be horribly wrong with him. He was a man many people loved, in and out of the ring. It could be that another person close to him, did this, knowing he would be blamed. I will make up my mind after I know more of this story. There has to be much that we don't yet know. In the meantime...Chris, Nancy, and little Daniel...Rest in peace.

Geoff

This is horrible. I've been a wrestling fan for over 20 years and have never seen anything like this in my life. I was a huge Benoit fan when he was alive. He was one of the best wrestlers in history. But he threw away everything by doing what he did. I've been very sad since it happend but haven't shed a tear. After all, why would I cry for a killer?

To anybody reading this, this whole incident has taught me to value life more. I hope you are all doing the same. Don't forget to tell those you care about that you love them.

Nice Person

I don't know what to believe, when I watched ecw last tuesday he looked fine to me he didn't look like nothing was wrong with him. but I do believe is that I don't think he would do something like that, he loved his son very much, to me I think they were murder!

AmericanJane

It would seem the 'Powers-To-Be' are jumping to (another) conclusion before all the facts are known. More questions than answers: Double Homicide-Suicide ruling at the scene...BEFORE an autopsy? Considering the size difference, why would Benoit have to bind the hands and feet of his wife before suffocating her? 'Roid Rage'? Steroids and other medication found in Benoit's home doesn't mean they will be found in toxology reports. Suicide? Were there 'marks' on Benoit's hands from pulling the cable (rope) down? Did he suddenly acquire Superman strength to hold the cable with one hand while wrapping it around his neck with the other? With weights attached? And a posting online by an 'unknown' individual (a sick joke?) explaining Benoit's being unable to attend an event because of his wife's death hours before her body was discovered seems questionable, to say the least. And just as troubling, even if the final outcome is a homicide-suicide ruling, McMahon (and others) discounting Benoit's twenty some years of accomplishments because of one 'bad act' is wrong. Maybe we should just wait until all the questions have been answered before we point the finger of blame. Concern: Will we ever know the true facts or will the facts be made to fit the someone's agenda?

sunset

Obviously his agent did not care about him. Money, money. I am no fan nor do I understand this silly sport, but his agent knew he was stuffed with steroids and out of it. He helped kill him without helping him.

Geoff

I saw on TV that 60 wrestlers have died in the last 10 years. You might be asking yourselves why. One word...steroids. What the hell else could it be? They found steroids in Benoit's home. There's no doubt in my mind that steroids played a part in what happened.

For those that may not know, his wife used to be married to another wrestler named Kevin Sullivan. She and Benoit had an affair, fell in love, and she left Sullivan for him. Look where that move got her. Bad decision on her part. I'm not blaming her in any way, but she might still be alive today if she had never gotten involved with him.