Benoit's History of Domestic Violence Exposed

6/26/2007 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Before her grisly death, Chris Benoit's wife once told a judge that she was, "intimidated by threats of violence" from her 220 lb. husband.

In divorce papers filed in 2003, Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse against Chris. In the papers, Nancy claimed that Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture." Nancy added that she was, "in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

Three months later, Nancy filed to have the divorce papers and the restraining order dismissed. A short time later, a judge granted her wish.

As TMZ first reported, law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and then hanged himself on Monday.

murph

Just another example of what performance enhancing drugs (steroids) will do to a persons mental stability. I feel deeply saddend by the deaths of all three, especially for the wife and kid. This could have been prevented.

Tom Terrific

A real shame. This goes to show that you never know what's going on behind the scenes. It's a small wonder that when you pump someone full of steroids for years, that something like this can happen.

I'm very sorry for Chris, his family, and all who loved him....

greeneyedlass

OMG if this is a correct timeline then there's a very good chance that the son KNEW what had happened to his mother...that poor little boy. I feel bad enough for the mother, but that poor poor child had to have been terrified. BURN IN HELL CHRIS BENOIT, BURN IN HELL!!!!

mkatan

This is so tragic, and he killed his own son my god,
she chose to stay with this maniac and their son paid the price...horrific

JD

What a coward. He is NO HERO. I don't care what he did in his career. He is nothing but a coward. May God have mercy on his soul.

damage

lets not forget his wife was a bit of a head case also...she pushed him to the brink...and this is what you get

marie

Laurie Lu: YOUR A MORON! Don't you dare blame the other wrestlers because of the actions of Chris! Get a fucking brain!

Tired of Paris

This should be a wake up call for every woman that is in an abusive relationship. Just leave and never look back. It is better than staying and being dead.

I watched part of that tribute show last night and all I could think of was how wrong it was to have it on last night before any of the facts were in. I wonder, would all those people that said all those nice things last night say the same thing today about him.

kadi

Give us the bizarre text messages already, your slacking TMZ

anonymous

What a sicko to do such a thing, I bet he was on steroids. They make you violent.

amused

I once upon a time watched wrestling. I didn't like him back then. Now I hate him. But when everything is said and done, it still doesn't bring any of them back to life. I am saddened that he is no longer alive, be it suicide or otherwise. His history is coming out now that nothing can be done about it. His wife and child had their chance to get away, but like all of us, we make choices. R.I.P.

Ray

.....condolences to his family and fans. Hopefully they will check for a history of concussions.

Pogo12

I just can't believe that something like this would happen.And if she was scared of him she should have just got out.They ALL will be missed for sure.

Tangie

Why these bastards gottta take everybody out, I will never understand.

Lisa

I am heartbroken. So sad especially for the son. Why is this happening so much lately? So many hopeless people in the world. Look up.