Benoit's History of Domestic Violence Exposed

6/26/2007 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Before her grisly death, Chris Benoit's wife once told a judge that she was, "intimidated by threats of violence" from her 220 lb. husband.

In divorce papers filed in 2003, Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse against Chris. In the papers, Nancy claimed that Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture." Nancy added that she was, "in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

Three months later, Nancy filed to have the divorce papers and the restraining order dismissed. A short time later, a judge granted her wish.

As TMZ first reported, law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and then hanged himself on Monday.

Snarksnarksnark

This is such a tragedy. It only shows that courts and cops do not take domestic violence seriously. There needs to be a thorough investigation of professional wrestling to determine whether there is a correlation between the sport with its use of steroids and violence outside the ring.

Alexandra

I cannot believe that this happened this way. As a long time fan of Chris Benoit I am just shocked! You know the guy was a great if not the greatest technical wrestler in the bussiness and to know that he cut his own life/career short is just unbelievable. This just goes to show that people are not what they appear to be.

Dawn Day

Our youth are idolizing these guys! WWE has turned into a violent soap opera for generally men and boys!

No wonder violence is so common in this world!

Steriods helped him do this!

AZ3NGLS_

Just heartbreaking,OMG! What the hell is going on!? How could this man take the life of his child ?! He will have to face GOD and deal with the consequences. Just terrible.

big joe

big jerk he should not even be buried. burn him

mike halper

i am urtterly shocked i thought he was a ral man respected people people respecrted had a beautiful wife kids money great creer trhe whole thing and to kill yiur own wiife and little boy he should of killed himself that bastard and let them live, POOR PEOPLE GO THROUGH ALOT OF HEEL TOO AND ARE POOR ON TOP OF IT THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT HE DID NONE I WILL NEVER EVER LOOK UP TO ANY OF THESE ASSHOLES EVER AGAIN I AM DISGUSTED,

Angie

Steroids, Steriods, Steriods. They make men mean, super aggressive and more or less unable to function sexually. Lethal combination.

i love you

MY CHILDREN CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WRESTLING EVRY MON NITE AND THIS. WHAT THE HELL WAS ON THAT MANS MIND. IF HE WANTED TO KILL HIM SELF HE SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE WIFE AND CHILDREN ALIVE. HE IS A FUCKING ASS THAT NEEDS TO BURN IN HELL AND BURN AGAIN!

Lisdog

Very tragic.

nikki

As a former wife of an abusive husband, I sympathize with Nancy's family and friends, as well as those of their son. I, too, suffered at the hands of an abusive man. I saved every penny I oculd to get myself and my son out of there before something like this happened to us. I agree with #1. Once a beater, always a beater. I ignored his pleas as I was finally packing up my belongings to rid myself of the anger and hurt. I live in a little apartment now, instead of the huge house that I once had. I pay my own bills, and even though they are late once in a while, I know I won't get beat for it. I drive my old car instead of 'our' new, nice SUV. And I go to bed with both eyes closed instead of one open wondering what I did to make him so mad that he would want to do that to me. And I know that my son will see me smile every day, and that he won't have to limit his visits to once a week at my grave. Rest in Peace Nancy and Daniel. Burn in hell Chris.

christina

OMG can you guys be real for a minute???? Not ALL wrestlers are on steriods. You guys are talking out of your asses. He may have done it and if he DID GOD will take care of that because theres nothing here any of us can do b/c he's gone too. Even if he did it doesn't mean steriods played a part so ya'll need to let that stereotype go. Show's just how ignorant you are about something you don't know about. Obviously none of you watch wrestling to even make judgement. If he did do it, He was wrong and something was wrong in his life. But don't be on here cursing him and wishing him to hell. You don't have all the facts yet and neither do I, so watch and see what they find out first. Benoit was a good man and him and his family are in my prayers and I hope they find out what happened so everyone can then form their opinions based on the facts not the fact that they hate wrestling and think it's fake and they're all on steroids.

Oh My Gosh I BET U R FAT !

At least the kid lived a full life!

ROTFFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheese

I've been a long time fan of wrestling and benoit, but can any other wrestling fans agree with me on this, remember in benoits wcw years and even in wwe why he never was a super super star he always was quiet sort of withdrawn even in the spot light he was on one of the worlds biggest stages every week but he just seemed kinda eerily withdrawn and something wierd abouit his whole demenor does anyone get what i'm saying here?

LOLA

oh my......this is truly disturbing.......to think that my 13 year old son was in tears when he got the news last night.....
That poor mother and child and the whole family left behind.......
very very sad.

Charlotte

That poor child had a psycho father and a mother that refused to protect him.

That poor little boy may he rest in peace.