Benoit's Doc Has History of Shady Practices

6/28/2007 5:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that the personal physician who saw Chris Benoit just hours before the wrestler killed his wife and son once had his medical license suspended for "reasons related to competence or character."
Click to Read Documents!
In 2001, the Georgia state medical board suspended Phil C. Astin, M.D.'s license to practice medicine for three months and fined him $500.

Early Thursday morning, authorities raided Dr. Astin's office in connection with Benoit investigation. Officials claim they seized medical records, but no arrests were made. According to the AP, Astin has admitted to prescribing testosterone to Benoit in the past, but has not commented on what, if anything, he prescribed to the wrestler on Friday.

Ironically, Dr. Astin's father had also run into trouble with the state medical board. According to records from the Georgia State Board of Medical Examiners, Phil Carroll Astin Sr. was found guilty of engaging in "unprofessional conduct" in 1992 by over-prescribing a plethora of pills including amphetamines, antidepressants, tranquilizers and narcotics to various patients.

As a result, the medical board suspended the father's license for 30 days, put him on 5 years probation and fined him $2000. Astin Sr. was reinstated in 1997, following the completion of his sentence.

Astin's offices were located in Carrollton, Georgia -- a small college town about 50 miles from Benoit's home.

Calls to Dr. Astin Jr. were not immediately returned.

Lita

I googled the same phrase "Chris Benoit son had old needle marks" and found that ESPN has the story. I've taken all my information from ajc.com which has not reported the needle marks yet to my knowledge. I'm sorry I said that it was speculation. I was wrong and I can admit that. It's one facet of this story that I was hoping was not true.

Barbo Garbo

And we are surprised because.......?

And later we will all learn how the WWE rigs their independent test on these wrestlers, because "it's entertainment!

This guys do this because they are REJECTS and they can't do anything else!!!!!

And the wives they get or have, are nothing more the groupies or Bimbos. Cheerleader rejects themselves, because in middle America, this is like the Army - "A way out".

Let's re cap and we will learn how the above is TRUE!

I'm sorry for the families that have to be exposed to this degraded way of life, just for the $$.... Is it worth the possible outcome? Let's ask the late Mrs. Benoit why she canceled her urgent request , while trying to divorce this monster, for restraining order - because she feared for her life and that of her now also dead son? FEAR! IGNORANCE! TRASH!

RESULT: What she feared the most DEATH!

I'm SORRY NO ONE LISTEN TO YOU OR HAD THE GUTS TO HELP YOU BE STRONGER FOR YOUR SELF AND YOUR SON, RESULTING IN YOUR DEMISE...

REST IN PEACE - And in Heaven may you stay away from him...

LS

#47. You shouldn't denigrate Mrs. Benoit unless you've walked a mile in her shoes. Believe me, I would know because I have. It's just not that easy to "get away".

Barbo Garbo

#48 LS: In my post this was not my intention. And No I have NOT ever been in a situation in anywhere similar to this. And I'm sorry if you have been hurt because of your experience...

But clearly here is a 2 fold situation: Fear and the lack of strength and/or support to follow through in a decision, in which her instinct at the time, was right on.

I'm also not judging nor generalizing, but in my professional experience, in which I pull my opinions and advises from, have too many time, with the same outcome or result been exactly the same. With the same background, the same intent, and the same path of destruction.
I know is not easy to get away, I understand the emotional hangup, dependency and the backlash. But also I know and understand that this is a learned behavior and we ALL have the tools and the intelligence to trust our instincts and survival skills. Is basic.

This could have been avoided, and FEAR paralyzes us and sometimes we can't even scream.

Were is it logical that the boy's fate and future was at the hands of his own father? WRONG!

LS I hope you did get away, and you learned, from within, that you are worth more than that. That you deserve more than that. And most importantly your self worth has given you a new lease on YOU! Your self respect has elevated your potential and even the way you see your live, and your expectancies to a much HIGHER level. This formula will almost guarantee you that "THAT" will NEVER happen to you AGAIN!

LS

Barbo Garbo - Thx. I did get away. HE on the other hand did exactly what Chris B. did. I narrowly escaped thankfully. It's been a year & I'm hoping for brighter days. Things like this open old wounds unfortunately.
But thx for your comments!!!

Nancy Drew

Cheryl

Check it out. No criminal stuff on the dr. everyone is just looking for a scape goat.

sissy

is pretty sad business to be pointing the finger at anyone includint the dr.. and chris benoit until all the testing is finished and in.. and they are not 100% satisfied this was a murder doubled...suicide as yet.... why dont yall wait til the facts are all in before geting twittered over this case??

Lita

Barbo, not every wrestler is a reject who can't do anything else. What about the wrestler that graduated from HARVARD???? He is no long able to wrestle because of a head injury. Like you should not denigrate Mrs. Benoit before walking a mile in her shoes, you should not do the same to every wrestler out there. I'd like to see half of the people who put these men and women down spend one week in their lives. They'd see that it is not all fun and games. These entertainers do what they do because they LOVE it. I'm sick of people lumping ALL wrestlers in with Benoit. This is simply not the case. Look at what Amy Dumas (aka Lita) did while out with her neck injury. She set up her own organization for abandoned animals. Some of these wrestlers do good things, some like in ALL professions, are bad apples. Just because some postal workers snapped and went on rampages, you don't say ALL mail carriers are homicidial maniacs do you? You cannot judge every man by what another does.

cajun queen

HERE WE GO AGAIN. THE FEELGOOD DOCTORS ARE AT IT AGAIN.REMEMBER ANNA NICOLE SMTH,DEATH BY HER PRESCRIPTIONS.WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO KAPOOR AND ESTROBITCH.???????? it is greed. MICHAEL MOORE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT INDUSTRY..SICKO, THEY HAVE A LISCENCE TO KILL....WHY WOULD SOMEONE GO 50 MILES TO THE DOCTOR.,UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING GOOD. OR SOMETHING TO GET HIGH..

regretting I used to call her a slut

Tis is NO MORE a real Sport than cheerleading !! Oh how similar

LS

Pretty Gals, why do u post such stuff as that? Asking everyone to pray & then post an ad for something else?

joan

Of course he was on STEROIDS!! His behavior has all the tell tale signs of a sudden chemical alteration and while a prescription medication might be able to do this (uppers/downers) it is much more likely, esp. from the fact that hundreds of bottles were found in his home, that it was steroids that caused his crazy outburst. When will the WWE learn? The drug testing they do is a joke!

LS

Steroids are not the only "drug of choice" that make people "freak out". It could have been anything. Or anything plus the roids.

L.J.M.

I was a pharmaceutical rep who used to call on Dr. Astin. We reps called him "Dr. Feelgood". Doctors offices have 'sample closets" where reps leave samples of whichever drugs they promoted. Doctors use these to get patients started on their regimen or they give them to patients who have trouble affording their meds.

Most physicians' sample closets were filled 90% full with cold/flu/allergy/sinus medication ,high blood pressure and antibiotic samples, with the other 10% being devoted to anti-fungals,migrain meds and...anti-depressents/muscle relaxers etc...

Dr. Astins office was the complete opposite. The majority of his sample shelving was devoted to anti-depressants ,anxiety medications, muscle relaxers etc. Narcotics cannot be sampled...but it was rumored that if you wanted something like that...he was who you should see.

L.J.M.

Me again: (former pharm rep)

I left out this fact:..most of the time...the more prescriptions a doctor writes for a certain drug...the more samples the rep for that drug can give him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments