Daddy Dearest

Supports Daughter Nicole

7/8/2007 12:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Richie's daddy Lionel Richie spoke out about his daughter's recent legal troubles. Nicole's DUI trial is set for July 11. She was arrested in December for driving under the influence and pleaded not guilty.

nicoleric_brian_14248245_400-1Richie told FOXNews.com that, "she keeps apologizing to me. I told her 'You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing to your father at this age." Talk about arrested development!

Richie-the-elder then blamed the media for his daughter's drama. "There's just so much information out there right now -- MySpace, cell phones, the Internet. If we had had all that when The Commodores were around, God only knows what my mother and father would have seen." Probably some dancing on the ceiling!

Lillian Gorham

I do have much sympathy for this family. I must be very painful and worrisome to see your pregnant daughter possibly facing jailtime. And Nicole looks very unhealthy.

kt

Nicole and Paris -- go away. You're boring and talentless.

Go have a nice quiet life somewhere and lets all move on to more interesting subjects...

Wicked

Of course Lionel is going to support his daughter. He loves her. She's made mistakes. If she goes to jail, so be it, she'll survive. What she probably won't survive is her relationship with her tatted boyfriend. And she will have a baby. But she can do it. I think she's screwed her life up more then Paris has, but oh well, many people do.

She'll be ok. She has loving parents and lots of money and all that makes it a lot easier.

SUN

I cant believe Lionel would say such a stupid thing! Of course we have all done some crazy things, especially in our youth, but to say these things are "normal" and age appropiate is irresponsible.

Driving while under the influence of drugs and alcohol down the wrong way of a street is not normal. Under no uncertain terms should any adult act as-if this is okay.

I have personally experimented with drugs, but I am not stupid enough to pretend that its normal or responsible.

I think we should have compassion for Nicole because of her age, because we have all done stupid things, but most of us didnt get caught, or do anything as reckless.

If Lionel really feels this way, no wonder Nicole was a complete and utter-mess. I think this pregnancy may have been the very thing to save her from herself. She now is forced to take care of her, because she loves her baby.

I think the indulgent parents who love their kids, need to come back to Earth and bring their kids back too.

Dawn

That's what 16 yr olds do not responsible 25yr old adults

MsAlSharpton

A supportive father is a blessing. Just because Lionel doesn't answers media questions the way people want him to doesn't mean that he hasn't had a very serious talk with his daughter. And it is apparent that he is very concerned. Be honest people, everyone has done at least one thing they are not proud of, but we don't have the media hounding us. How lucky are we that we get to keep our mishaps a secret, no matter how big or small they are. I wish Nichole and her family the best.

SAVANNA

GEE LIONAL--HAVE YOU TAKEN A GOOD LOOK AT YOUR DAUGHTER LATELY?
SHE LOOKS LIKE CRAP!
AND WHAT A HORRIBLE FATHER YOU ARE.
I GUESS ANYONE CAN ADOPT A BABY NOW A DAYS!
WHAT A SHAME!
NO WONDER SHE IS IN TROUBLE AND LOOKS LIKE DEATH WARNED OVER!
GROW UP MORON AND BE A REAL DAD TO HER BEFORE SOMETHING WORSE HAPPENS!

Lite it

Hey , everyone should have a support system. So what if she's pregnant, I've seen girls in worse situations have babies. As far as the D.U.I , well she's NOT the first nor the last.If there are so many great parents in the world how come we have so many homeless kids on the street???? I don't ever have to be afraid to tell my parents anything.In turn, my kids don't have to be afraid to tell me anything.

lillie chaos

Ya know, I think it must be MY fault. I think Nicole Ritchie is cute, funny, ornery, and, damn sure entertaining. I love seeing her; watching her giggle at David Letterman. I think she is a lot of fun. Isn't that how it is supposed to be?

Nicole and Rosie have a lot in common--everyone has an opinion on their lives. Me, I just like to sit back and watch what they will be up to next. Does that make me a bad person? Are they bad people? Nope--they are entertainers and I am entertained so I guess they are doing their job.

Hang in there, Nicole. I will always be on your side.

Janice

I think what she did was wrong and stupid. At least she pulled over and called for help and did not try to continue to drive. Thank God n one was killed. She admitted she was wrong and did not try and cover it up. She has to deal with her inner demons and I am sure she is not having a easy time of it. This should be a happy time for her and Joel and they now have a cloud follwing them. I really hope fore the baby's sake that the judge takes it easy and dosn't give her a ridiculous amount of Jail time.

anon

I don't understand why any celeb goes on Fox News. Do they not know that all Faux News does is bash celebs for everything they do or don't do???

Esq

These Hollywood parents are pathetic. A good parent supports his or her child, but is clear about right and wrong. In no world is driving under the influence just an age appropriate stunt! Neither is an unplanned pregnancy out of marriage. An innocent child is involved now, and there are no signs this woman is mature or stable enough to raise the baby.

frank joe bob

im partial about paris because she is kind of dull although cute as a button. (what ever that means) but i love nicole probably like in my top 5 favorite celebs because of her i don't care attitude. this girl says what ever she wants and is in no way a quality role model for little kids. keep acting immature even when you have your child. just please put that damn thing in a car seat rather than your lap.

Esq

The responsible thing for Lionel to do would be to encourage Nicole to give up the baby, like the Escovedos did with Nicole. I bet they are proud of her for what she has, um, accomplished.

char