Sharpton to TMZ: "Roboho" a Big No No

7/9/2007 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Al SharptonNational Action Network President Al Sharpton has set his sights on TMZ.com over the word "Roboho" in a fashion piece that was published two weeks ago:

"Calling any woman a "ho" is demeaning and abusive and it should not be tolerated on any level. It is intolerable to think that TMZ.com would find humor in calling Beyonce -- someone who symbolizes the strength, dignity and uplifting of Black women -- a "Roboho," and they should be denounced by the entire community for glorifying the continued oppression of women with this derogatory term. Racism in America is perpetuated by ignorance and hate and using one's airwaves or media entity to promote it is a blatant setback to civil rights and the advancement of equality.

National Action Network has been in the forefront of protesting the word "ho" and will hold a 20-city tour featuring 100 women in each market on August 7th to protest the use of the word "ho" as well as the "N" and "B" words. We encourage TMZ.com to retract their misogynistic labeling of Beyonce and apologize immediately."

Madeleine

I think it's amazing that a self important person like Al Sharpton has taken the time to look through and listen to everything white folks say. Get a job Al, a real job, not one you create as the watchdog of white people. Who appointed you anything? This is the trouble, no sense of humor and not educated enough to figure out what context a word is put into. Don Imus made mistake, you saw to it he lost his livilihood, at least he had one, shall I go over the racist remarks and actions you have said and done, I don't have to, everyone knows what they are. Go find something else to do, we don't need some ridiculous bogus reverend sniffing around everything that is said on a Gossip message board looking for something to carry on about, blacks probably laughed at that idiotic outfit too. Beyonce wears beautiful outfits, her mother designs them, that was not one of them. By the way, how many black rappers and actors have you asked for an apology for using the N word or saying "Ho" lately? How come you never apologize for anything? If I were TMZ or any other media reporter I would never mention a black person in my blogs again, this way they avoid this garbage, I'm sure Beyonce would thank you for it. If you knew how transparent, desperate and ridiculous you sound you would never open your mouth again, then again, maybe you would.

KS

Give me a break! I highly doubt that he has contacted every African-American musician that has used "ho" in their lyrics to explain how degrading that is... Funny how he picks and chooses who (or what) is racist and what isn't.

gagirl

I feel sorry for the black community to have to put up with this guy who consistently harms their cause and creates more hate. He needs to disappear.

Ra

TMZ should NOT have referred to Ms. Knowles in such a manner.
She is, after all, a Tycoon.

Keika

I don't know what is poorer his response or his picture.... this guy is fug man...body and soul i presume

Brook

#94 You have a wonderful sense of humor....lol
#96 Noone voted for him.

billyboy

Al "THE RACIST" Sharpton. Go chase Imus you parasite!

Tootsie

IT AMAZES ME tmz, WHEN PEOPLE WRITE RACIST MESSAGES ON YOUR SITE ABOUT WHITES, IT SEEMS TO COME DOWN IMMEDIATELY, BUT WHEN MESSAGES ARE RACISTS TOWARD BLACK ENTERTAINERS, YOUR "SENSORS" SEEM TO LET IT POST FOREVER.

SOME OF THE WORST RACISM THAT I'VE EVER READ, I'VE READ ON TMZ.

I'M WHITE AND MY HUSBAND IS BLACK BUT QUITE HONESTLY I AM EQUALLY OFFENDED

idontcare

@ #108, it's not reverse racism, it's RACISM, PERIOD!

tam

What an idiot!! He is sooooooooo seeking attention by any means necessary. I as a black female had no problem with TMZ's story. The outfit was robohoic and atrocious. I think there are better things Al should be concerned about. I for one thinks he should take a close look at himself and ask why is he wearing his hair the way he does? What are his feminine issues?

Chaz

Is Sharpton moonlighting as a pimp?

mark

I think he's hott. Especially when his drawers are all bunched up (oh...wait, that's all of the time)....

Comeonnow

Come on AL- Start with your own people. Most of the words you would like not used, come from your own people. Geez!

racquel

You know, I usually only read the comments, and I just got so disturbed by the blatant racism and hatred of people of African ancestry, that I just had to comment. First of all, since you all are so interested in what Al Sharpton does, you would know that he goes toe to toe with the rap and hip hop artists about their content. He did it before Imus, and he still does. Secondly, African Americans aren't the only ones with award shows or separate broadcasting channels. Hispanic Americans have the Alma Awards AND the Latin Grammys! Let me also bring into factor MTV3, Telemundo, Univision, etc. Why do you all feel so threatened when African Americans have their own things? All we HAVE as far as broadcasting networks is BET! Leave us be!!! And, for all of you who don't know the history of broadcasting in North America, the only reason why BET was established, is because MTV refused to play music videos from artists who weren't White. I believe Michael Jackson's Billie Jean was the first video ever played on MTV by an artist of color. In addition, programming such as the Oscars never had an African American face on it, until Sidney Poitier's win for Best Supporting Actor. Hattie McDaniel wasnt even allowed on the camera for her win on Gone with the Wind, and she had to enter through the back entrance! It's funny that whenever anyone brings these things up, a resounding "Get over it!" is always delivered. Does anyone ever tell a Jew to "get over" the Holocaust? What is so wrong with a Black man defending a Black woman? Beyonce doesnt do the things that Tara Reid, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears and Nicole Richie do. I resent some people on here comparing her to them. Those are the people with sex tapes, getting cracked out in public, and showing their privates to all and sundry. I wish the site moderators at TMZ.com would moderate the hate speech on this site. It is unbecoming and more suited to a Klan website.

bobbybaby

Before you comment on everything that we while folk say, how about addressing the fact that all this rap crap comes from your people. Have you ever looked at what your black folk look like with their pants down to their ankles and their black asses showing. You and the Rev Jackson cannot even speak english where you are understood. Also 95 % of black folk are illegitimate. Any word on that? Of course not, that's what balck women do. Simply putting out when in heat. Unfortunately there are many reasons why black folk are not accepted. You really haven't quite evoled into the 19th century. Always wanting something for nothing just because you are black and were once ( a hundred years ago) slaves. Get on with your lives and stop living in the past.