Sharpton to TMZ: "Roboho" a Big No No

7/9/2007 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Al SharptonNational Action Network President Al Sharpton has set his sights on TMZ.com over the word "Roboho" in a fashion piece that was published two weeks ago:

"Calling any woman a "ho" is demeaning and abusive and it should not be tolerated on any level. It is intolerable to think that TMZ.com would find humor in calling Beyonce -- someone who symbolizes the strength, dignity and uplifting of Black women -- a "Roboho," and they should be denounced by the entire community for glorifying the continued oppression of women with this derogatory term. Racism in America is perpetuated by ignorance and hate and using one's airwaves or media entity to promote it is a blatant setback to civil rights and the advancement of equality.

National Action Network has been in the forefront of protesting the word "ho" and will hold a 20-city tour featuring 100 women in each market on August 7th to protest the use of the word "ho" as well as the "N" and "B" words. We encourage TMZ.com to retract their misogynistic labeling of Beyonce and apologize immediately."

Michelle

"ho" does not imply black, white or otherwise. It implies whore---black, white or otherwise. it is just slang. I am white, but I don't think the word "whore" just applies to white people. Al Sharpton needs to truly get a life, and quit trying to make himself front page news all the time. He goes off on so many tangents, we don't really respect anything he says anymore. Pick your causes, Mr. Sharpton. Then maybe we'll listen to you.

FP

It's sarcasm #133. There are no two people I despise more than them. Bigots, troublemakers... shake-down artists... both of them. And I forget who it was that wrote it and to be honest I don't care to look back, but make up your mind if you are a "person of color" or an "African American" or whatever. But for God's sake, is there some reason you can't be just plain old AMERICAN like me? Stop it.... the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1863! You've had long enough to get over it and understand that there is NO ONE living here that had anything to do with slavery.

emily

Mr. Al Sharpton, why don't you ever focus on when all women are called ho's? When Lindsay Lohan is called a ho, why don't you come to her defense? Sure, she may be a ho, but she is a woman. If you think it is so demeaning for a woman, why not stand up for all women?

kate

Sharpton is such a racist.

CSense

Why does Al Sharpton have to get in the middle of every racial issue? Who made him the damn racist police? Someone like Don Imus makes one mistake and Al Sharpton has to get involved and ruin the guys career! Sure Don Imus shouldnt have said what he did but why is it Al Sharptons damn business? He had nothing to do with it!! Him and Jessie Jackson both need to mind their own business and shut their damn traps!

You People Sicken Me !

Yep I just love sitting at a stoplight with my child in the car right beside a brother with the boom boom boom music and the only words you here are n^^^^r N^^^r n^^^r f^^^^n b^^^h etc Yep that sure makes my day !

Lucas

He is a racist. Anything to pick on non black. I am mixed race. I have a white mom and a black dad and I think that the new generations shouldn't even entertain Sharpton at all!

I feel Sharpton is a very dangerous person in the black community. He fosters hate and he turns everything into a race isse, when meanwhile, it's a life issue!

Get of the hate wagon Al Sharpton and start understanding that you are not doing the black youth or community any favors.

southrnbell

Geez....could somebody PLEASE shut this jack-a#% up!!! He will do anything to get attention. IF he would have read what was written, TMZ was not calling Beyonce a "ho" but her outfit. Get your facts straight Al Sharpton before you start rambling on about nothing. If anyone is racist, it's him!!!!! He's always pulling out the race card. I can't stand him and I refuse to acknowlege him as a "reverand".

Steffani

If the white man is such a devil and racist and blah blah blah --- what does that make you for calling the "white" man a name? Seriously people we are supposed to be all one and seems like whenever Sharpton jumps in --- everyone all of a sudden has issues with eachother. He creates more drama than help it!

What Spice?

#143-So true. My relatives had nothing to do w/ slavery here in America. In fact, they were the European version...the feudal system. Set to Russia to help Katherine the Great...years later ended up being "drafted" into the Russion army. That's when the slipped out and went to Canada and then the US. My family had absolutely nothing to do w/ slavery! Get over it and get a job! That would be a nice start.

Only swim in the Ocean

I am going to name my child Al Sharpton

Reality

Ho Ho Ho Ho HO HO HO HO Ho Ho Ho ho hO, Hiddy Ho!

Amber

#154. LOL...that was funny. I know you were kidding 'cause only an idiot would have typed that mess on purpose.

Anyway, is Sharpton "pimping" a book or something these days? I can't think of any reason why he keeps popping up in the news lately. Oh wait, I almost forgot he's an attention "whore".

camel from canada

What community? Al Sharpton doesn't speak for me, and if bouncy Beyonce gets any bigger, she'll be a "ho ho ho" lot bigger by Christmas...Beyonce symbolizes Beyonce, and could care less about anything except Beyonce...get real Sharpton..

Tarl

Al Sharpton can "kiss my ass" !! It's people like him that make "something out of nothing" that fuel this racial crap. Enuf already!