WWE in Soma Coma?

7/12/2007 7:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE in SOMA ComaTMZ has uncovered the next possible drug scandal that could lay the smackdown on the wrestling world, known as "Soma Coma" -- the abuse of the powerful muscle relaxer.

In an exclusive interview, former WWE Diva Terri Runnels tells TMZ, "The boys eat Somas like candy." While the Chris Benoit tragedy has everyone (including the Feds) buzzing about steroids, Runnels says wrestlers have been getting high on Soma for years. "I've personally seen a WWE Superstar nearly die right in front of me after taking 13 Somas ... while still behind the wheel of his car!"

Runnels was previously married to bizarro WWE wrestler Golddust, and says that "if the wrestlers' addictions and mental health issues continue to be ignored, I'm afraid that I'll have more friends turning up dead -- all because no one cares."

UPDATE: In an exclusive statement to TMZ, the WWE vigorously defended their drug testing policies, claiming the organization does everything in its power to ensure that their wrestlers are clean:
WWE finds the abuse of drugs and steroids to be unacceptable, and such behavior is actively discouraged. For 20 years the WWE has been doing something to address the issue of steroid and drug use. We instituted our first drug testing program in 1987. In February 2006, we instituted our latest and most comprehensive drug testing program ever as part of our new Talent Wellness Program as a deterrent to steroid and drug abuse . We cannot account for the poor personal decisions a small minority may make outside the workplace to undermine these efforts.

Michael R

I want to know if Tiger Woods takes performance enhancing drugs to bulk up? Take a look at any of his recent photos and you'll see what I'm talking about.

babykitkat43

ANNA NICOLE DIED CAUSE THEY PUMPED HER FULL OF CHWHICH IS A POWERFUL DRUG USED FOR SLEEPING THEY GAVE HER TOO MUCH SO SHE DID NOT WAKE UP

BronzedBum

Has any one else heard about Hulk Hogans claim of Benoits wife being into witchcraft? That would kinda explain the Bibles huh?

Michael

This is not exactly breaking news, TMZ...google the name Louie Spicoli. He's a pro wrestler that died about ten years ago from an overdose of Soma.

Pat Miller

Each man in life chooses his path. If the insecure man feels he needs to take a drug to make him big and bad then that is the path HE chose, not a federation, not WWE. You know, say I want to be CEO of my company and this guy who is the CEO takes drugs but I feel to be like him I have to do the drug....does that make the company responsible? I think not! Also, Anna Nicole was so messed up and not one member of her family came to her rescue...seems the same of these wrestlers...like their families didn't know what they were doing? Come on give me a break. Vince you go your a great showman!

ANDREA

WHAT DOES ANNA NICOLE HAVE TO DO WITH THIS! SHE TOOK HER PILLS NO ONE FED THEM TO HER! SHE IS AN ADULT WHO LIKED PILLS AND WHATEVER ELSE!

Jennifer

I think I need to take soma till Bush is out of the white house

stopthemaddness

I wouldn't care at all if all the WWE wrestlers killed each other in a "roid rage". What is upsetting is that they don't just stop with each other as in Benoit's case...he had to take out a woman and defenseless child while on some type of drugs. Yes...they are grown men and should know how to conduct themselves but since they obviously DON'T do this, the industry needs to be like any other business and do random drug testing. If my boss thought I was a drug addict, I would be fired. Why should they have it any differently? What really pisses me off is that I am a person who suffers from chronic pain and I take soma. I only take what is directed and it improves my quality of life. They take it to get high. Shame on them.

JEWISH PRINCESS

I'm getting tired of all these FORMER WWE folks talking like they know what's going on. Most of them were fired, or didn't have their contracts renewed. They have been been out of there for years, but try to make it sound like they have the inside scoop.

Everyone needs to take a break and wait for all the reports to come in. But no matter what the toxicology reports say, we'll never know what truly happened, since Chris didn't leave any notes or letters to anyone.

jfo

What I don't get is the WWE is a private enterprise, why should they be obligated to test. Sure it is the right & smart thing to do especially for insurance purposes. It is wrestling folks, not the olympics.

The bottom line is to get the top you've got to be humongus & constantly in pain.

andrew

I think it is funny that people who have never been in the wrestling business can call it fake. Yes it is pre determined but no it isnt fake. As far as pro wrestlers being athletes they are the best athletes in pro sports. I personally have seen men get hurt while in the ring and keep going to finish the match. Do you think Kobe would continue playing in a game if he broke his wrist? Bob Holly did just that in a match. I agree that something needs to be done about the drug problem in wrestling but I dissagree with the statement that all wrestlers are on drugs. I have been an independent pro wrestler since 1998 and I do not do drugs. I also know for a fact that the WWE has fired top guys for their drug use. Why do you think Kurt Angle isnt with them anymore. He was/is addicted to pain killers and tested positive. Vince gave him an option goto rehab or you dont work here anymore. I know of a few guys that have been put on 60 suspentions and made to goto rehab before coming back. Honestly what other company with you testing positive would try and help you kick your habit first and then if that didnt work fire you. I love the fact that all these wrestlers are now coming out to "SAVE" their friends from dying. Maybe if it was so bad they should have said something then. I hate that a business that I love is being crapped on due to one person's choice. You guys need to learn that once you can decide for yourself what you want to do then no one is responsible for you. Vince isnt responsible for his workers decisions no more than a parent is responsible for a 17 year old going out with his friends getting drunk and getting in a wreck killing someone. It is called free will and no one can force you to take any drug unless you want to. I have been offered a few and when turned down the people offering let it be. Its not hard to say no you just have to make that choice.

TEXAS GIRL

When I was in my teens I looked forward to Saturday night wrestling. The stunts they pulled at that time were fun to watch.Ofcourse that was 35yrs ago. Over the years it became almost uncontrolable.The more the public got, the more they wanted. The entertainment factor has disapeared,replaced with more and more violence. There are many young people that look up to some of these people, they should be held responcible just as any sport. If it takes testing every day or before every match so be it.

David

All you need to know about steroids is to see a before-and-after picture of Lyle Alzado.

death on a cracker

oh brother.... i wish the Media would actually get some facts before they post this crap! Terri Runnelds hasnt been with the company for years. its a sad world when people come out of the woodwork to try and get an extra 3 minutes of fame off of someone tragedy! dont believe everything that you read/see on TV. its all a business and these reporters care more about making headlines then they do the facts. this can be said for ANYTHING...not just this case.

death on a cracker

i love reading comments from housewives and people who NEVER follow this business. they really know whats going on dontthey? all it takes is an artical from a has been and they transform into lawyers and defenders of goodness.... the media has wiped crap all over the wrestling business and the sheep follow suite wihout doing any research of course. they look like fools! not just with this case but any case. Nancy disgrace and Gerardo Rivera are two of the most undereducated reporters i have ever seen tell a story. they dont even TRY to do research on their stories. its all buzz words and fake tears.... It's sad becuase alot of people are easly brainwashed and hold on to every word. if people want to know the facts about anything, its best to take the time to research every avenu yourself. then again if everyone did that, our govenment would be completly different...and they wouldnt like that becuae they would have too much responsibility to their own lives. best to leave it up to others to decide whats best for us.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments