WWE in Soma Coma?

7/12/2007 7:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE in SOMA ComaTMZ has uncovered the next possible drug scandal that could lay the smackdown on the wrestling world, known as "Soma Coma" -- the abuse of the powerful muscle relaxer.

In an exclusive interview, former WWE Diva Terri Runnels tells TMZ, "The boys eat Somas like candy." While the Chris Benoit tragedy has everyone (including the Feds) buzzing about steroids, Runnels says wrestlers have been getting high on Soma for years. "I've personally seen a WWE Superstar nearly die right in front of me after taking 13 Somas ... while still behind the wheel of his car!"

Runnels was previously married to bizarro WWE wrestler Golddust, and says that "if the wrestlers' addictions and mental health issues continue to be ignored, I'm afraid that I'll have more friends turning up dead -- all because no one cares."

UPDATE: In an exclusive statement to TMZ, the WWE vigorously defended their drug testing policies, claiming the organization does everything in its power to ensure that their wrestlers are clean:
WWE finds the abuse of drugs and steroids to be unacceptable, and such behavior is actively discouraged. For 20 years the WWE has been doing something to address the issue of steroid and drug use. We instituted our first drug testing program in 1987. In February 2006, we instituted our latest and most comprehensive drug testing program ever as part of our new Talent Wellness Program as a deterrent to steroid and drug abuse . We cannot account for the poor personal decisions a small minority may make outside the workplace to undermine these efforts.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

andrew

#69,

I personally am involved in the wrestling business and have been on the Independent wrestling level for a number of years. I can attest to the fact that not everyone "needs" or even takes painkillers. I personally have had a couple of injuries in which I did need the use of pain killers. One being when I crushed my knee cap into 6 pieces. They are good when needed and yes their are some that over use and abuse them. I am just here to say that most of the lockerrooms I have been in frown upon that sort of behavior. I have personally seen a few guys thrown off of shows due to the fact they have taken something. I think if anyone on here was actually in the wrestling business they would know that the wrestling business has changed greatly but it is not perfect. I challenge anyone who thinks they can find a company that has regular drug testing in place that can catch every person that uses drugs. I worked in factories in which people regularly passed drug tests and they were dirty. It happens every where it is just now that it is in wrestling that everyone wants to crap on the business. I think people should look at the list that have died everyone of them have been mostly from the 80's or before a few have been from the 90's. You will notice that in the coming years these drug related deaths will decrease. Vince has made WWE a business and runs it as such. As a business he is making his employees hold their self to a higher level. I know everyone will say that he wants his guys to be huge and jacked up but look at his current roster I see maybe 5 guys that would fall into that catagory. Most of his wrestlers are 6' or so and about 200lbs look at the Hardys, Shelton Benjamin, Johnny Nitro, Cm Punk, Ken Kennedy and so on and so on. You look at the big jacked up guys you have Lashley, Snitsky, Batista and thats about it that falls into the big and Jacked catagory. I would understand more if this issue would have been brought up about 10 years ago but no the business is changing to the smaller more technical guys.

Catie

If any of you knew anything, you would know that Terri left WWE on good terms in 2004. She's not bashing WWE in particular.

Does anybody know if there's a video of this interview of pictures? Or did she just say this over the phone or something?

dvlman_AZ

Dave Finley "Fit", said it best on "Nancy Grace", we make enough money we can purchase our own medical insurance. There will always be a reason, a cause, an affect. Some live some die. Welcome to life, pull up a chair have a cup of coffee and a smoke. In the 80s it was "coke", the 90s "crack", early 00s "meth", and now the later 00s "pills". Is it a fad?
We tune in every week and watch. We spend our money to watch the PPVs, we buy our kids the T-shirts. We go to the games, we get mad when they lose and celebrate a win like we helped achieve it.
Please remember this: for every dollar a wrestler makes, Vince McMahon gets twenty.
My heart goes out to the Benoits. "" Chris Benoit will be missed by this wrestling fan.""

fan4life

Terri Runnels is a has been. She hasn't worked in WWE in quite some time, I beleive she was even fired thank goodness for lack of angle. (To all you wrestling haters and people who think you know it all, but in reality know nothing, yes that also means you...media. An angle is a storyline.)

She is just bitter that WWE had nothing for her to do, so she has to come and put it down along with the rest of her former co-workers. So she saw a wrestler takign drugs...like she wasn't?

My next point, most of the former wrestlers that have been on the news are disgruntled ex-employees. Mark Mero...the worst wrestler I have ever seen in the ring and that is 30 years of being fan.

Terri Runnels needs to get off the bandwagon, wrestlign has paid for her lifestyle...well I suppose now her ex-husband's wrestling career pays for her lifestyle.

For all of you that don't like wrestling Here is a suggestion...you ready? It's a real tough one...sitting down? Turn the channel if you don't like it. It's not for you. It will never go away, not now not ever no matter how much you may not like it.

nancym

I WOUDNT BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT FORMER WWE WRESTLERS ARE SAYING THEY ARE JUST BITTER OLD HAS BEENS ,I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN PEOPLE ARE MAKING A A BIG DEAL OVER THE STEROIDS AND OTHER DRUGS IN THE WRESTLING INDUSTRY, NO ONE MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL WHEN STEROIDS WHERE BEING USED IN THE MLB.AND WHY IS TERRI EVEN SPEAKING ABOUT IT SHE NEVER WRESTLED ALL SHE DID WAS WALK DOWN THAT AISLE AND SIT HER ASS IN THE CORNER OF HER EX HUSBAND SHE HASN’T BEEN AROUND FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS WHAT DOES SHE KNOW. WWE HAS DONE SO MANY POSITIVE THINGS FOR THE COMMUNITY AND THAT’S NOT ACKNOWLEDGED FOR SHAME.

Texas Rebel

We can all sit here and blame the WWE, but if a grown person has to do this to stay at the top of his or hers game then it is there own fault. Real people would go to jail for half the stuff our sports figures do. Look at all the drug problems in other sports, the only difference is no one has gotten killed because of there drug problem yet. That is my feeling on the issue.

ssslllmmm

I believe that the wrestlers' would eat Soma like candy & not opiates.....Soma don't show up in any pi$$ tests!!

Lil Girl143

I have come to realize that these Soma are extremely dangerous. I have watched a close friend recover from every drug under the sun. When he had me order these particular meds I had not known that they were as bad as they were. Then seeing him take 5...10 and sometimes more than that at one time I was scared. Seeing the side affects of going into tremers,slurring,getting pulled over and arrested for OUI. I suppose that anyone can abuse any med prescription or otherwise. This specific med should not be easily accessible where it can be abused especially for a person whom is a recovering addict.

egriffin

First, Terri Runnels hasn't been in WWE in years! Second, if this really happened, how come we've never heard about and why didn't she report it?!

By the way, let's clear up something with Chris Benoit. He was found with high levels of testosterone in his body. While that is technically a steriod, even doctors in the scientific community can't say for certain that it causes "roid rage" like its anabolic cousin. Plus, they found he had brain damage from years in the ring. Yes, wrestling is fake but they do take some ungodly risks. I know they are grown men and know what they are getting into and all that but some of the risks they take are really crazy!

While nothing ever excuses murdering your wife, your son and yourself, I think I'd buy the brain damage theory than the steriod theory even if he was taking them. I mean, look at all the athletes in other sports that take steriods and none of them did what Chris did! Even the "grandfather" of all wrestlers that take the drug, Superstar Billy Graham, was a huge user for years and while he paid the price with his health, he never did anything violent like that either.

Back to the subject, I think things will get worse for WWE and the industry as a whole before they get better.

Been There

To each of you: Soma is an old muscle relaxer, it was used in Hollywood at party's for pleasure. I have been prescribed Soma for the last 15 years. Do I take them? ONLY WHEN I'M IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN. They are not to be taken for recreation, they will kill you!! It's not just WWE, it's everywhere! At least Terri Runnels cares enough to speak up about it. She could've kept her mouth shut and brought no awareness to the problem...but she didn't. EVERYONE, BE AWARE! This is a drug that acts as a tranquilizer!! I've made the mistake and done the "Soma Coma" before. Body shaking, slurred speach, passed out, didn't remember a thing!!! I learned alot about Somas the hard way!!! If your Dr prescribes them, ask for something a little less powerful. A Soma can make your body go NUMB if taken on an empty stomache. Wise up people this stuff will kill you if taken in large doses!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6