Michael Vick

Busted for Illegal Dogfighting

7/17/2007 7:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0717_michael_vick_bn_getty-1It's dog days for Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and others, after being indicted today on federal charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick was charged with illegal competitive dogfighting, which involves training pit bulls to fight against other dogs. When authorities searched Vick's property this month, they found 54 pit bulls and a host of brutal items including a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs and a bloodied piece of carpeting.

Graves of seven pit bulls were found inside "Bad Newz Kennels," a Virginia property owned by Vick. The dogs were allegedly killed after testing whether they would be good fighters. According to documents, dogfights would end when one dog died or backed down, and dogs were sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gunshot, electrocution or some other method.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfights in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

Jeezlouise

Hey Carl:
Just went on yourblackworld.com. You're right, it is incredible that many blacks feel he'll be an even bigger "hero", especially if he goes to jail. That is just complerely incomprehensible that anyone can have such a strange mentality which rewards cruelty and time in prison.

teewalk

im not judging anyone...like i said god will judge vick the same way he will judge you guys,,,,god knows the real reason you are attacking this young man...i dont care either way because mike vick is not putting any money in my pocket or paying my mortgage...but what i do care about is my heritage and how "some" not all , but "some" or shall i say the majority of white people think that all african americans are inferior to them ... and wish that slavery still existed and can't stand to see a black man with some money in his pocket (and im not talking about dog fighting money)....stop being jealous of a successful black brother who regaurdless of how you try to bring him down has accomplished more than you guys will in your lifetime and probaly worked 100 times harder for it ....some white people are just too literal and take everything literally.... so he "supposedly " broke the law .....that gives you the right to say he deserves to be excuted and all of these other hateful things.... i really dont care about man's laws....gods law is what matters and the bible say's love thy brother as thyself not love thy pit bull as thyself..... so instead of tearing a person down have try to find it in your so called animal loving hearts to forgive him if he is sooooooooooo guilty in your eyes...to answer your question im not racist because my mothers white and my dad is black......... but if you are from the south the word reckneck is used commonly and if its associated with a certain type of white person and it sounds racist then im sorry im not apologizing......its no better than you calling this educated young man a thug based on one mistake he may or may not have made...... im not judging you or defending vick but im just not an animal fanatic thats my choice to be that way..... like i said more important things going on in the world.......peace :)))))))

Jeezlouise

Oh Teewalk, when will you understand that this has NOTHING to do with race????
So you're black, get over it. So is Halle Berry, and you don't see her spewing out such unintelligent comments. If a white football star did the same thing, there would be even more protests, and he would probably already have been suspended.
So Teewalk, stop looking at the color, look at the facts, and read the indictment.
By the way, I'm Puerto Rican, so don't start with the skin color stuff...

grasshopper

teewalk....You have to remember that people have domesticed the dog to the point that they have become and are part of the family, that's just the way it is. To treat any animal in such a cruel way is inhuman, look at the heartache that Oprah is going thru at the loss of her dog. I am / was extremely angry at the video shown of dog fighting, what you are seeing in the worst in human behaviour, they are the animals, no different in what they are watching their dogs do to one another., Can you imagine, what is going on in theirs minds as the dogs are screaming in pain and agony, they are getting off on it for the sake of winning a few bucks.
I truly believe that education is the key to most everything, educated people do not associate with this kind of barbaric behaviour, One thing it does show to me , is that we are not long out of the cave ourselves. We have a long way to go as a society that treats everyone and everything with respect. Animals included.
I'm sure that Michael Vick will face a jury of his peers and they can decide his involvement and the price he should pay if he is involved. What else can you say but everyone of these people who are doing this should be tracked and hunted down and put in front of a jury.
Michael Vick has earned alot of money by throwing a ball around, he hasn't found a cure for cancer, if he has to spend time in prison for a few years, IF he is found guilty then so be it....but someone has to be brought to justice for this inhuman and gutless cruelty to an animal. Take the color aspect out of it....white or black....this cannot go unpunished. This has got to stop, I would love Bill Cosby and Oprah address this whole problem in the black community, And a white man or woman to address it to the white community, whatever, someone has got to stop this....and NOW...thank you for your insight into this also, and BTW, if Michael Vick is guilty, I will never buy anything from NIKE again if they dont' drop him from the payroll, kids need a good role model....let's hope they find someone.

djc4animals

I don't understand why so many people are bringing up the race
card. THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE - THIS IS ABOUT CRUELTY TO INNOCENT DOGS. I was born in El Salvador and I am now a proud American Citizen - I don't care that Vick is black, if he was hispanic, white, asian, green, or whatever I would still hate him the same way. Animals need to be treated with respect and love. Millions of people
including myself love animals not as "pets" but as members of our
families. I want Vick and anyone involved in this crime to
be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

ahab

No words can accurately describe the sickness of this crime, but I'll voice my thought anyway: What an absolutely sick, disgusting, horrible, repugnant, vile, horrifyingly terrible piece of crap this man truly is. I may just be your normal nobody, but at least I'm a nobody who loves animals and doesn't treat them like he does. This is beyond sick. There are no words for what this.. THING.. has done. I hope Vick loses everything, then loses more. I know he won't actually get any time for this, but I can hope for it, I hope he gets a huge fine, and at least I can sleep at night knowing that his reputation is forever scarred by this terrible thing.

doinou

The Falcons should let him play. If he loses, he should be wet down and electrocuted.

ahab

This is NOT about race, "teewalk." If you're too blind to see that, then you truly are stupid. Even if it was a white guy, I would feel the EXACT same way. Everytime a black man commits a serious crime (O.J. Simpson) and white people (and even black people, but certain black people like yourself turn a blind eye to those black people) cry "He should burn for this!" Blacks immediately turn to their age-old cry of racism. I'm not racist. I'm just absolutely sick of Blacks constantly using "racism" and slavery, something that ended in around 1863. I hate to say it so blatantly, but stop crying about it and get over it. It didn't take the Jewish people this long to get over the Holocaust, and 6,000,000 of them were KILLED. I'd say, teewalk, that you and the african-american people that constantly cry "slavery" or "racism" at times like this should take a lesson from the Jewish people. That lesson being: MOVE ON!

teewalk

i've told you guys four or five times im not black......im mixed.... white mother black dad........and i am very proud of the fact that im half black and not ashamed at all...not crying like some of you have posted...... ....some white people are so clueless..you really think we care that you dont like us minorities we are here to stay so you get used to it and you get over it...you should be ashamed to persecute a person by hearsay...... the point of my topic was to a previous blogger that called me racist when im half white....i said in my opinion it is about race to me because vick is black..therefore there will be an overwhelming response of negativity by white people no matter what ...and my question is why are some people scared to admit that racism still exists?.....i cant tell that fact by reading some of these hateful, disrespectful posts that rasicim still exists....get a life stop worrying about vick and nike because they will still make money whether or not you like it or not.....and especially to gigabit you move on because reality is some people are still racist ........turning a blind eye would be me not speaking up about"some" judgemental racist white people who think they are perfect just because they were born white and never do any wrong....everybody makes mistakes even you ......im not going to stoop to your level and call you stupid because i dont know anything about you but i will say that racism still exists and although the legal process may not involve racism right now some of the comments i have read on this blog are racist to me...this is my opinion everybody has one remember...so until you sit on the jury to convict the man ...stop judging him shut up and wait until he's convicted or acquitted or whatever happens... ...remember god is watching.... peace:))))

ahab

Race is NOT a FACTOR! LOOK WHAT HE DID TO THOSE ANIMALS YOU BLIND IDIOT! There doesn't need to be a trial to look at the evidence of what happened! You are simply choosing to look the other way as I previously stated most black people do whenever one of their race has done something horrible. I will say that plenty of white people have done sickening things: John Wayne Gacey, Ed Gein, etc. They are examples of terrible white people... But open your eyes. You may not care too much for animals, but look at the evidence gathered, and even you have got to admit that it is absolutely sickening. You may be mixed-race, but you sure show an insane amount of favoritism towards a black guy who did an absolutely horrible thing. For crying out loud, the guy had stands to tie dogs to, in order to force mating, called Rape Stands. You cannot POSSIBLY say that you approve of this! If you do, to any degree, you are no better than Vick is. Going by what you've said thus far, I'd say that you were one of the people who cheered when O.J. Simpson was found "Not Guilty." Once again, I ask of you, take a frigging lesson from the Jewish people. Stop yelling "racism" or "slavery" whenever it suits you. The Jewish people don't yell "Extermination," do they? No! I don't think the African American people have ever had that amount of concentrated persecution before, not even when slavery (which I think was a dark chapter in my people's history) was in full swing. Why can't your people just move on like the Jewish people have?

Jo

Vick told NOT to report to training camp. THANK GOD.

C.

You mean the Jewish people who still have the ADL and say "never again" with regards to the Holocaust? There is a WORLD of difference between "moving on" and "forgetting" and many of the posts on this board tell you exactly why many "minorities" cannot just forget about racism and pretend it doesn't exist

With regards to Vick, innocent til proven guilty...but if he did the crime he should do the time no matter what color he is.

Rich

I forgive u Vick if you r guilty as long as you did'nt kill anybody or hurt any kids. I like dogs but I love people.

rich

I forgive you, Michael Vick, if you're guilty. As long as you didnt kill anybody or hurt any kids. I like dogs, but I love people.

noitall

*********** VICK'S NIGHTMARES ARE JUST BEGINNING *************

Previous 15 Comments | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments