Tammy Faye

Dies at 65

7/21/2007 11:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tammy Faye MessnerTammy Faye Messner, who as Tammy Faye Bakker helped her husband, Jim, build a multimillion-dollar evangelism empire and then saw it collapse in disgrace, has died. She was 65.

Messner, who had battled colon cancer since 1996 that more recently spread to her lungs, died peacefully at her home Friday, said her booking agent, Joe Spotts, in an e-mail to the Associated Press.

A family service was held Saturday in a private cemetery, where her ashes were interred, he said.

More Today in TMZ History

Lilarose

Sorry, I meant #82. I swear they change the numbers!

truth

#8 YOU WILL DIE TOO!

I HAVE 9 LIVES, 5 MORE TO GO, YEH

Gia

Um, to "get some sense"- Tammy Faye was never convicted of anything you stupid twit!!! Perhaps YOU should get some sense LOL

White Power

God gave that bittch cancer because she was pure evil.

DottieDame

God has forgiveness for everyone, and I feel sure with the type of heart I saw in Tammy Faye at the end of her life that she asked for that forgiveness from past sins. My deepest sympathies to Tammy's family. I know though that her family must have peace in their hearts knowing she is now with the one she loved most, Jesus.

curt

Deepest sympathy to your family and other loved ones. I love you Tammy Faye. You have been an inspiration to many people for many reasons ,and yes, for people living with cancer. I know you must feel sorry for all of us left here on earth. I pray to see that smile of yours again some sweet day.Until then,I love you,I love you,I love you.

Gia

yeah, God gave her cancer. Are you on crack? Is this as accurate as your statement that "she" was convicted of a crime? Perhaps God will do the world a favor and lead you to wrap your lips around a revolver. Dumbass.

Wings

God is a loving God and a FORGIVING GOD.....when he was on the cross..he forgave...get things straight!!!! God allowes things to happen..but the devil can't have the soul...it belongs to HIMMMMMMM....why #94 HE even loves you with your evil tongue!!! May he forgive you for the cold heart YOU have...and she didn't commint any crimesssssss....

truth

SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING AND WHAT WAS HAPPENING. SO WHAT IF THEY COULD NOT FIND ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO CONVICT HER. WHERE DOES SHE THINK ALL THAT MONEY CAME FROM. SHE IS GUILTY

a reader

Note to TMZ editors: The lede should be properly credited or referenced to the Associated Press, as it is copied word-for-word without alteration from their news release.

chillout music girl

Martin Wroe had a wonderful story in the Observer. He had found the disgraced televangelist Jim Bakker in Sheffield "Praise the Lord and pass the contrition" said the headline. Where once Bakker could see nothing straight, he now sees how badly he behaved in the past, when he stole millions of pounds, though he only got caught for spending some of them on a secretary he'd Lewinsky'd. She posed in Playboy, and he went to jail for l45 years, though this was reduced on appeal. He found prison a distressing experience. "It is a cesspool of smoking, cursing, and poor vocabulary. A man twice tried to rape me, but God rescued me."

Bakker's vision of the future remains extravagant. "Last week, he married again and is Britain on his honeymoon. He is taking the chance to say sorry to British Christians and announce the end of the world. 'God has given me a message for the last days.'

Jim Baker said he was sorry... Tammy felt sorry as well.
The woman had nothing after the PTL scandal.
Why are people so quick to blame her...

Let the woman rest in peace

lynnz

#14........you are so right!!!!!! I always thought of her as a phony until The Surreal Life. I fell totally in love with her during that season. Her faith was unshakeable and her belief in the good in each and every person was amazing. She became an inspiration to me and I hope she's in full make-up hamming it up in Heaven right now. God bless you, Tammy Faye. You'll make heaven smile.

jProud American Author

God bless you Tammy Faye. After all that you have been through from Jim's Ministry and then cancer...you are now in Heaven. Your energy and love for the Lord will be missed.

Em

My opinion is that we all talk about what we would or wouldn't do. The bottom line is that when you are faced with sickness, pain and suffering and you hold on the way she did - your faith is real. When all else fails (and if we don't have our health, what do we have?) yet we stand firm in our faith - it is real.

Thank you, Tammy, for being real. The commonality (and how she reached so many) is that she wasn't afraid to be herself (the good and the bad). She made some big mistakes, but she also made a big impact in a positive way. Her children should be proud of their mother - - a testament to being a strong, positive and faithful person.

hope

It takes a lot of guts to judge the dead. What comes around goes around. But for the Grace of God we all deserve to die, but Jesus changed all of that. God Bless her memory. We never know when our time is next. Make every moment count.