Rev. Al Goes to Bat for Bitches

7/25/2007 5:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Al SharptonRev. Al Sharpton is going to the dogs ... and by dogs, of course, we mean bitches.

Sharpton has turned his attention from celebrity news websites and is lending his voice to a crusade against ... dogfighting? Sharpton and hip-hop honcho Russell Simmons teamed up with PETA to send an open letter to all corporate sponsors of alleged dog fight creep Michael Vick, as well as to the Commissioner of the NFL. PETA picketed New York's Niketown store today.

In their letter, Sharpton and Simmons proclaim, "Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable ... Our battle must extend to those innocent animals who literally have no voice or choice."

Oh, really, Al? The good Rev was nowhere to be seen last summer, when Beyonce Knowles -- whom he strenuously defended when we called her outfit "roboho" -- was exposed by a PETA ambush for using the fur of smaller "innocent animals" in her fashion line. The confrontation during a lunch at Nobu, was caught on video and obtained exclusively by TMZ.

Rev. Al got right back to us when we asked for comment, pointing out that he joined PETA last year in protesting chicken industry practices: "Whether I or a person agree or disagree on a social issue, it does not entitle that
person or their attire to be referred to in a misogynistic manner."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

costaMesaboy

can't wait 2 C, where this goes???????....cerveza time 4 me

Gia

Good for you Al, thanks for sticking up for the animals.

Gia

I've never been a big fan of Sharpton's but he is an animal lover and I think lending his voice in an effort to end this brutal "sport" is a wonderful thing for him to do.

deb

Well i have to say i am shocked that Al opened his mouth to criticize one of his own. Its about time. Michael Vick is a pig and should be put in a pit with those dogs. Now that would be fun to watch.

cleveland1

Rev. Al sticks his nose in everything. I realize he's an activist but stick to one situation at a time. Geesh, he's not sure which cause he want's to be down for.

fussi

Al Sharpton is a fat-assed pimp. I hope he gets cancer.

anthonysdreamgirl**

I'm glad he's going to bat for these defenseless animals. Regardless what you think of him, this is a good cause.

Lindy

Good for him and good for PETA confronting Beyonce. I found it amusing how she had her colleague answer the questions for her and couldn't even look the woman in the face when she brought up the topic of fur. Oh well, maybe if Beyonce's own cat or dog had to be put to sleep so someone could wear it she MIGHT understand. What a joke.

Shelly

What in the heck does Al Sharptons stance on animal rights has to do with Beyonces stance on animal rights????????????? They are TWO different individuals. Also, in my opinion you shouldn't be referring to anyone as a HO---black, white, or brown. Al can defend Beyonce. He doesn' t have to defend Paris Hilton, for example. Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and all of them are Skanky Whores---FOR REAL. I don't think you've ever heard anything nasty about Beyonce---has she been sleeping around? Ever seen a sex video of hers out there floating around? Has she been to rehab??? Does she have herpes or any other disease???. She is not a Whore. Therefore you should not refer to her or her outfits in that manner. Her outfit was part of a show. She wasn't wearing that on the street. So Al was right to go to bat for Beyonce and he's right to go to bat for animal rights. That's his preogative. I have many issues with Al Sharpton....99% of the time I don't want to hear anything from him--and I am black btw. However, there are some issues I agree with him on. I definitely agree with his statement to you on this issue for instance.

BTW black people we are not monolithic. We don't all speak, think, or act alike. Al Sharpton is not 'OUR' leader.

steveh

Whats in the past is in the past. What the Rev going now is important, nike must take Vick mercandise off the shevles NOW! PETA kicks ass too.

The Shoparazzi

Hey ALways-in-front-of-a-camera Sharton, whatever happened to "innocent, until proven guilty?" You know, the first amendment? I thought that's what you fight for when you believe Blacks are unfairly targeted and indicted. Maybe that's the case here. Ever consider the fact that Michael Vick could possibly be innocent? Hmmmmmmm. Role that idea around that brain of yours that's hidden under the FroHawk.

And I can come at you like this 'cause I'm a sistah!

val

AL must have found a black dog who's being discriminated against because this is a late take on what we've been furious about for a week. he's a bad guy and that he's joined all dog lovers of all colors to go after Michael Vick is quite late. I agree better late than never since there will be war with he and Vick .. watch it blow. SEND VICK TO PRISON FOREVER ... looks like Sharpton realized the Feds had all the evidence and he couldn't stay silent much longer. We'll take his support because we hate Vick more than we hate Sharpton .. now it's the pecking order and I think Vick is on the lowest pole.

Trace

NO ONE Owns an expensive house and DOESN'T KNOW What goes on in it - except an ABSOLUTE MORON - which he does NOT strike me as... Vick was implicated BY HIS OWN PEEPS!!!

Kudos to AL - I know some will STILL have negative things to say about him - but AT LEAST they can't accuse him of showing favoritism towards BLACKS....

Kris Peterson

Only God is perfect, guys. Rev. Al falls short sometimes. I wish that he were less racist. Sometimes he seems like he just doesn't know what the hell he is talking about....and other times he does....very human. Jesse Jackson had an affair. Coleman Young had a love child....not that Coleman Young was all that religious...but, I am just saying. Look at Aimee Semple McPherson. She was having an affair with some guy and disappeared with him, only to come back saying that she had been raised to heaven. I'm sure that she was (LOL). Look at The Catholic Church. They are going into the year 2008 and they haven't got it right yet, after 2008 years. The Jews still don't have a savior. Give me some money. I'll save you...from a fate worse than bad breath. You know, the Jews don't need saving. They have done pretty good on their own. Just try to be more understanding, guys. Look at the intention. Well, after deep thoughts, he does seem like some kind of H-U-S-T-L-E-R Hustler. Thank you Ice-T.

Kris

Trace

It was NOTED LAST WEEK that AL and other had taken a stance - It wasn't news worthy so it wasn't mentioned by TMZ until LATE - AL WAS NOT LATE ON THE SUBJECT!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments