New "View": It's Whoopi!

8/1/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara and her gals have announced that actress, comedian and all-around funny lady Whoopi Goldberg has been tapped to co-host "The View." Great choice!

When asked what she would be looking forward to the most and the least, Whoopi replied: "I'm looking forward to the hot topics. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is getting in between everyone talking at one time."

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny. They also wanted a funny white woman but Roseanne was too expensive and they felt she was past her prime. And as for Gayle King, we're told, "it just wasn't happening."

And what about Sherri Shepherd, widely rumored to be the fifth member of Babwa's merry band? In Touch reports that Walters was all set to annouce Sherri today as well, but last minute talks stalled, with ABC balking at Shepherd's demand of $2 million per year, which is what Whoopi's making. What's more, ABC is said to be resuming talks with CNN's Jacque Reid.

Shepherd's rep tells TMZ, "They are talking but there's no news." The "View's" rep tells us that producers "are having ongoing discussions with several people."

Of course, no "View" post would be complete without some weigh-in from Rosie O'Donnell. What sayeth she? "Whoopi is perfect for the job and she is one of my favorites. She is absolutely amazing!"

Whoopi joins "The View" permanently the day after Labor Day.

Ted D

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny.

Sounds like a racist statement to me. If the View was looking for a "white woman who was funny" just imagine the cast of characters would would come forward and scream racism.

Desiree

Don't much watch The View because it is, well, boring, and the women are always sniping, but Whoopie is a great addition. At least when Whoppi snipes, she is funny! Love her, I just may try it again.

zzz

If they wanted a black woman who was funny why did they pick Whoopi ?

Irene

SMILES ARE FREE - I guess you never watched Comic Relief, Ghost or Corina, Corina just to name a few. Whoopi is a very talented actress & comedienne. You might be too young to know her but yes, she will definitely be an improvement over EVERYONE on that show. I dont know if she can save the show cause Walters seems to have lost control over it since the bully came on & she never got the control back, getting old? loosing her edge?

Rosie was a bully & didn't deserve to be on that show & also a coward. I dont believe she quit, I think ABC bought her out just to get rid of the bully blob.

Dee

What happened to Sherri? She is a better choice.

piuntigailydnas

I like Whoppi but the View will never be the same without Rosie. I wanted Kathy Griffin to Shes more like Rosie Honest and controversal . The View played It safe with Whoppi. They chickened out.

Ha Ha Ha

I look forward to seeing Whoopi join the show. I think that she will keep it interesting.

piuntigailydnas

I like Whoppi But the view will never be the same without Rosie. She brought Life to that show. I give It to Christmas and It will be cancelled.

Tut's wife

I was hoping it would be Roseanne, but I guess Whoopi's a good choice, too. I just feel Roseanne would have made the panel more interesting.

I know

Yeah I love WHOOPI

She's funny, not to pushy and works well with others. GOOD CHOICE.!!!

honeydoo

who wants to have classless,homophobic,racist Roseane on anything?Please keep Arnorld away from people and let her count the pennies she's got left.

I know

#21 IRENE

Yeah she's too young to KNOW---Maybe she can remember the movie GHOST, she made it a hit.

Detscan

NOW I hope they win an Emmy!

Lori

WHERE IS SHERRI SHEPHERD!!!!!!!!??????? She is phenomenal, and I can't deal with another year of rotating co-hosts.

Zenophobe Alien

Love Whoopie. Glad Rosie is gone. Guess she's a hangin upside down right now watching the View.