New "View": It's Whoopi!

8/1/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara and her gals have announced that actress, comedian and all-around funny lady Whoopi Goldberg has been tapped to co-host "The View." Great choice!

When asked what she would be looking forward to the most and the least, Whoopi replied: "I'm looking forward to the hot topics. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is getting in between everyone talking at one time."

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny. They also wanted a funny white woman but Roseanne was too expensive and they felt she was past her prime. And as for Gayle King, we're told, "it just wasn't happening."

And what about Sherri Shepherd, widely rumored to be the fifth member of Babwa's merry band? In Touch reports that Walters was all set to annouce Sherri today as well, but last minute talks stalled, with ABC balking at Shepherd's demand of $2 million per year, which is what Whoopi's making. What's more, ABC is said to be resuming talks with CNN's Jacque Reid.

Shepherd's rep tells TMZ, "They are talking but there's no news." The "View's" rep tells us that producers "are having ongoing discussions with several people."

Of course, no "View" post would be complete without some weigh-in from Rosie O'Donnell. What sayeth she? "Whoopi is perfect for the job and she is one of my favorites. She is absolutely amazing!"

Whoopi joins "The View" permanently the day after Labor Day.

concerned

I liked Whoopi in The Color Purple. And she seems like a nice person. At least when she gives her point of view she doesn't try to bully you into believing every word she says. She speaks her mind, but in a respectful way. She's very funny and I think she was an excellent choice.

Clinton

Hopefully she and the others will be "allowed" just to be entertaining instead of controversial.

The Shoparazzi

...#10 ah, Whoopi did, The Color Purple and has an Oscar to prove it and is an Oscar Voter and has her own syndicated Radio Show on AirAmerica and has hosted the Oscars -- only African-American woman who has and The Lion King, Girl Interrupted, Boys on the Side, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Ghosts of Mississippi, Corina Corina, Sister Act, Soapdish, The Long Walk Home, Star Trek, Everybody Hates Chris, her own HBO specials -------------- not to mention COMIC RELIEF and a host of other stellar performances that makes her over-qualified to co-host "The View."

You're such an idiot for suggesting that her resume isn't at par with "The View!"

Ellis Light

Whoopi it's Whoopi

Allie

Loved Rosie, and I love Whoopie and Sherri Sheperd.

Allie

I liked Kathy Griffin. She and Gayle King were both interested, but the money was so so. Kathy and Gayle both have a lot of good stuff going on so they could be choosey.

But I actually really enjoy the two that r in the running: Sherri and Whoopi. It will be a good match.

The Shoparazzi

Kathy Griffin looks like that tanorexic PR lady Grubman....and Kathy's had more plastic surgery than Joan Rivers! I'm glad I don't have to look at her face every morning.

Marie

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO GET RID OF ELIZABETH!! CANT STAND HER!!! HER VOICE IS ANNOYING,WELL, BASICALLY EVERYTHING ABOUT HER IS ANNOYING!! IF THEY WANT TO SAVE THAT SHOW, THE NEED TO REPLACE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shoparazzi

Whoopi is more qualified to co-host The VIew than anyone else who's hosted, other than Ms. Walters herself. This is a step down for Whoopi.

BTW, Whoopi is not Left-wing....She's more Right to Moderate. She's been Hanitized by Sean Hannity himself and is more conservative than most of you think. She just has her own opinions as it relates to Abortion...as does Rudy Guiliani.

Rosie got on my last nerve, especially when she ragged on my mom Oprah!

Allie

Agree; Sherri Shepperd and Whoopi Goldburg will be a nice addition, it has been stale.

I cannot make blankrt statements on different entertainment figures, some r just better in other settings. I was pleasantly surprised last season on Nip/Tuck. Will enjoy seeing Rosie next season on that show. She is good in character roles like on Nip/Tuck and in League of their Own.

I too had read Gail King and Kathy Griffin had considered it but had options on other projects that would give them a little more freedom from a five day a week gig. Barbara and Bill Geddes would of driven Kathy crazy. It works for Whoopi and Sherri.

Next Stop...Psych Ward

#68.

Isn't Gayle King, Orprahs (alleged) Lesbian lover?

If so, thank goodness she didn't get the get gig. She has the charisma of a mushroom.

She should stick to hers and Oprahs *cough* road-trips *cough*.

judy

Rosanne Barr past her time??? I think Whoopie has Rosanne beat on the list of has-been entertainers who seem to be the norm on The View’s panel, and a damn sight better looking as well! I’m glad Rosanne had the sense to move on rather than sell herself cheap. Whoopie has been and always will be sorely unattractive and her vulgar humor adds to the unlikability factor. Furthermore, If TMZ’s sources are correct in stating that ABC was looking for a black female, they had better send their HR Manager back to Employment Law 101! Employers are not allowed to hire based on race or sex, and if ABC hired Whoopie just because she’s a black female, they should be called on it. Double standards don’t apply in employment law.

Next Stop...Psych Ward

#72:

Maybe when you cease POSTING IN CAPS IN ORDER TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS!

Caps give me a headache.

Amy

Isn't Whoopie a radical left-winger? Shouldn't there be a little balance there? I don't know her affiliation, but I wanted Fed-ex Shar Jackson to get the spot. She seems to have a really magnetic personality. Whoopie, while I don't have a problem with her, wouldn't have been my choice. I think if they want funny, Kathy would be the way to go!!! I don't even know who Sherri is, but I think I saw her once on there. Didn't leave a lasting impression or anything.

Laura2222

I think Whoopi will be great, BUT, they need to add Sherri Shephard too! That woman is soooooo funny!!!