New "View": It's Whoopi!

8/1/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara and her gals have announced that actress, comedian and all-around funny lady Whoopi Goldberg has been tapped to co-host "The View." Great choice!

When asked what she would be looking forward to the most and the least, Whoopi replied: "I'm looking forward to the hot topics. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is getting in between everyone talking at one time."

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny. They also wanted a funny white woman but Roseanne was too expensive and they felt she was past her prime. And as for Gayle King, we're told, "it just wasn't happening."

And what about Sherri Shepherd, widely rumored to be the fifth member of Babwa's merry band? In Touch reports that Walters was all set to annouce Sherri today as well, but last minute talks stalled, with ABC balking at Shepherd's demand of $2 million per year, which is what Whoopi's making. What's more, ABC is said to be resuming talks with CNN's Jacque Reid.

Shepherd's rep tells TMZ, "They are talking but there's no news." The "View's" rep tells us that producers "are having ongoing discussions with several people."

Of course, no "View" post would be complete without some weigh-in from Rosie O'Donnell. What sayeth she? "Whoopi is perfect for the job and she is one of my favorites. She is absolutely amazing!"

Whoopi joins "The View" permanently the day after Labor Day.

meeper

This show is the Titanic of its time slot. Why is Whoopi hopping on board a sinking ship? I love Whoopi, but would rather watch paint dry than listen to these mavens.

anonymous

Whoopi Goldberg will be a great addition to the show, and the show would be even better if ABC put a new host in Elizabeth's chair!! I would love to know how many people emailed ABC today.. She talked about cutting off the head of a chicken in her has-been Survivor days. GROSS! Joy is funny & smart, but when boringbeth started w/ that crap I turned off the TV! If there is a great guest or guest host I still tune into something else.. Hasselbeck is just BAD TV! E pulled that stunt w/ Rosie to get more attention, but adds NOTHING to the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Rosie, you are missed!

Sarah Lee

I'd like to add, the one I wish they would have put on is Crystal McCrary Anthony ... she's so damn beautiful (and actually smart!), I could just sit and stare at her all day long!

Allie

I concur, Whoopi and Sherri will be good. It has been SO BORING these last few months.

I read that Kathy said she was really interested. But also nervous about her tour schedules as she'd loose a lot of money by cutting back on her tour & moving from California to be there five days a week.

Gayle King (Oprah' Best friend) has lots of stuff to do courtesy of the Oprah machine. So I can see those two thinking twice. Gayle came across a little boring on her old short-lived show. So its just as well she managing O's magazine. Everybody has a niche.

Mark

I was glad Whoppi got the job. I have emailed The View hosts, to please get Whoppi she's the best.

bphillips

Congrats Whoopi.......I'll be able to watch the view again ....hated tha loud mouth person that they had her present was annoying

Whatever

Whoopi is a smart woman and i hope she puts that stupid bimbo EH in her place...God why don't they get rid of that trainwreck? And why does Joy stick around on that loser of a show? it's run it's course...be over already.

KGY

WHOOPI IS A FINE CHOICE. IT WILL NEVER INFLUENCE ME IN SAYING THAT SHE AND TED DANSON DOING THE BLACK FACE ROUTINE WAS OUT OF ORDER AND SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TARRED AND FEATHERED. HEY, BUT WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES

JudyPhd

I'm happy to see Whoopi - she has the track record of edginess in her own matrerial as well as the material she has produced for others but thankfully checks her facts before spouting, unlike Rosie. When EH goes on leave or whatever she's doing when baby comes, why not give the spot to one of the wayward 20-somethings, (ie) Paris Hilton? All this "talk" about their concern about helping the young ones get on track, etc, why not put their money where their mouth is? Could be interesting and could also be an avenue for "doing" instead of "talking" with regard to the younger generation. I think it would be a mistake to have another 30 or 40+ year old on the show.

Nikita

Whoopi will be the reason I stop watching the show. Elisabeth is to the right; Joy is to the left; and Barbara is non-committal. So what do they do? Hire Whoopi, who is SO far to the left she's hanging on by her fingernails. Yeah; that's balanced. Not to mention she's an idiot with a bizarre perspective on political realtiy. I like her as an actress. As a panelish? Not so much. Roseanne would have been a much better choice; her brashness is an act beneath which lies one very smart woman. Can't say the same for Whoopi AT all.

LincolnLounger

Kathy Griffin would be much better than Sherri Shepherd.

Leslie

Congratulations Whoopi! I am really looking forward to watching The View now.

anonymous

email ABC & tell them Elizabth's spot should be recast. I started watching the show when Rosie was on & loved to watch it. Rosie had different ideas, but Elizabeth would never budge from her views. I liked hearing what Rosie had to say, while Elizabeth just said the same old stuff. It could be a great show, if ABC made some changes. Elizabeth would be happier on FOX NEWS anyway.

JTH

It's about time that ABC crack open the shell that has been under Barbs rear for so long... Woopi has always been an all time favorite of all and will sure make the View a even better show. Rosie was a mistake, but its out with old and in with the new....lets hope that ABC decides on Sherri as well, Star Jones platform has been sitting on the back burner and its time to light the flame again! Sherri and Woopi are the best choices for the job...GREAT JOB ABC!

RachelDevin

Wow! All the energy here and so much negative energy to boot!!!! For those who think Whoopi is a radical left winger, did you know that, "Yes, she is pro-choice, but she is also pro-guns?" She has viewpoints that straddle BOTH parties and that kind of issue-oriented thought will be a great addition to The View. As for those who say she's untalented, please watch her specials and take another look at The Color Purple. She deserves our respect.

Next, I may not agree with EH, but she's NOT a dummy. She's well-read, an obviously great mother and a role model for many young women in this country. As I said, I may not (in fact, I DEFINITELY DON'T agree with her politics, and I LOATHE how she handled the Rosie situation, but how can anyone HATE her. That's such a strong word. This is America and she is entitled to her opinions. I'd rather see young girls emulating her, rather than Paris, Lindsay and NIcole!

Let's give The View a chance. Let's give Whoopi a chance. Thanks for listening