New "View": It's Whoopi!

8/1/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara and her gals have announced that actress, comedian and all-around funny lady Whoopi Goldberg has been tapped to co-host "The View." Great choice!

When asked what she would be looking forward to the most and the least, Whoopi replied: "I'm looking forward to the hot topics. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is getting in between everyone talking at one time."

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny. They also wanted a funny white woman but Roseanne was too expensive and they felt she was past her prime. And as for Gayle King, we're told, "it just wasn't happening."

And what about Sherri Shepherd, widely rumored to be the fifth member of Babwa's merry band? In Touch reports that Walters was all set to annouce Sherri today as well, but last minute talks stalled, with ABC balking at Shepherd's demand of $2 million per year, which is what Whoopi's making. What's more, ABC is said to be resuming talks with CNN's Jacque Reid.

Shepherd's rep tells TMZ, "They are talking but there's no news." The "View's" rep tells us that producers "are having ongoing discussions with several people."

Of course, no "View" post would be complete without some weigh-in from Rosie O'Donnell. What sayeth she? "Whoopi is perfect for the job and she is one of my favorites. She is absolutely amazing!"

Whoopi joins "The View" permanently the day after Labor Day.

rachel

SHE'S THE ANNOYING CHICK FROM THE OLD STAR TREK TNG SHOW, RIGHT?

HOW OLD IS SHE ANYWAY, BECAUSE SHE WAS 147 BACK THEN IN THE 90'S

Patty

There hasn't been much talk on The View about the War. BW made a comment a week or so ago about "why do we always go in that direction?" Lately "The View" should be changed to:" The Latest Statistics" because that is all they are talking about is "statistics".

They are stuck on their little blue cards and don't fray off the table much anymore.

I don't know how it will work with Whoppi but it looks like they are trying to get that "Emmy" or Oscar or whatever they need to feel better about themselves as JOY asked that question quickly. And was also a concern for everyone when Rosie was on in hopes they would win that award.

Whoppi will keep EH in check as she has done it a few times before when she was on the show. Whoppi does it quietly but she makes her point quickly.

Bebe

Good!! At last a person who will actually make sense in that show...Now they need to get rid of Elizabeth

MacGuffin

Now that Whoopi is the moderator, they should continue to see WHO best would fit in with that group of women.

I'm not so sure that Sherri Shepard would fit in . . . I advocate keeping the guest host position open like they have done for the last year and keep bringing in a new voice every day.

Lastly, since Elisabitch is going to be on maternity leave, they should bring in a conservative to temporarily replace her for 3-6 months and that there could be a consistent conservative voice.

God I am so smart. I'm sure that ABC is reading these comments.

Traci S

Love Whoopi!

I still think KATHY GRIFFIN would be great for that second seat! LOVE her!

KAC

That Sheperd person would have been a real YAWN! Who the hell is she, anyway? I wouldn't watch if you got that Sheperd woman.

Whoopi is exactly the right person! Yea! That's who I was hoping for. I didn't watch before Rosie. I quit watching when she left. I will watch Whoopi!!! Whoopee for Whoopi!

rachel

Hey TMZ what happened to a whole page of comments?

anonymous

They replaced one vulgar loudmouth with another. Barbara Walters needs to retire, her credibility as a journalist is zero anymore.

MaryG

When the View first came on way back when, it wasn't meant to be FUNNY. It had people from different backgrounds, different points in their life and different VIEWS, so that mature discussions could take place on issues facing people today. It seems everyone wants to make it a democratic talk show. That's not what it was when it started. That's why I enjoyed it when it started.

Several people are saying to get rid of Elisabeth. Like it or not, there are many people in this country, and world, that agree with a lot of what Elisabeth has to say.

It should be a balanced show so the ladies can discuss all sides the issues.

Amen to Rosie being gone. She is just one step away from the nuthouse!

Lindsay

Personally, I think the View screwed up again. Shes just as obnoxious as Rosie...if you ever listen to her radio show you would hear that she makes some ridiculous comments.

Tom Cruise has landed

I wanted KATHY GRIFFEN. She was the funniest. And then whoever else. Doesn't matter. She would have stole the show everyday!!!! She would have given crazy Hasselback a run for her money. It would have been hilarious!

mike

It's official. The View has gathered the ugliest group of women on the planet to scare small children and to entertain lazy fat unemployed feminist.

Yawner

I am disappointed. Iwas pulling for Sherri. She is much funnier & infinitely more relevant

Brian Aeder

You Go Whoopi! She is the funniest woman-- way better then OPRAH! Miss ya too Ro!

CAROLYN

I LOVE WHOOPIE...I THINK ITS A GREAT CHOICE!