New "View": It's Whoopi!

8/1/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara and her gals have announced that actress, comedian and all-around funny lady Whoopi Goldberg has been tapped to co-host "The View." Great choice!

When asked what she would be looking forward to the most and the least, Whoopi replied: "I'm looking forward to the hot topics. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is getting in between everyone talking at one time."

Sources tell TMZ, "View" execs wanted a black woman who was funny. They also wanted a funny white woman but Roseanne was too expensive and they felt she was past her prime. And as for Gayle King, we're told, "it just wasn't happening."

And what about Sherri Shepherd, widely rumored to be the fifth member of Babwa's merry band? In Touch reports that Walters was all set to annouce Sherri today as well, but last minute talks stalled, with ABC balking at Shepherd's demand of $2 million per year, which is what Whoopi's making. What's more, ABC is said to be resuming talks with CNN's Jacque Reid.

Shepherd's rep tells TMZ, "They are talking but there's no news." The "View's" rep tells us that producers "are having ongoing discussions with several people."

Of course, no "View" post would be complete without some weigh-in from Rosie O'Donnell. What sayeth she? "Whoopi is perfect for the job and she is one of my favorites. She is absolutely amazing!"

Whoopi joins "The View" permanently the day after Labor Day.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Barbo Garbo

Whoppi, there she is!

And how controversial this is going o be?

Now BaWa, you need to get rid of Elisabeth and you maybe in business again.

I'm not sure how the remaining "Viewers" are going to react, but is a matter of time before "Ms. Goody Too-Shoes" has another hizzy fit when democratic Whoppi speaks her "Views"

I watched it when it first aired. I eventually stopped because I can't stand Elizabeth and her air-headed self. She's so wrong for this show I don;t know how she got there in te first place, but oh well...
I started watching again when Rosie came into the picture. For ABC and BaWa's partners and bosses, this was the best thing hat ever happened to them. The ratings were higher than ever in the history of the show. I havent watched since!

Good luck!

quinn

Barbara said she wanted diversity!! What an insult, does that mean if Whoopi was white she wouldn't have the job??? Same for Sherri? Both of them should tell
Barbara and ABC to take their jobs and put them where the "View" doesn't shine.....

dogbreath

I'm glad they picked whoopi. She's got the most beautiful voice .Elisabeth sounds like a munchkin, Joy's voice is grating, and Babwa's accent is MADDENING!! I mean REALLY, she claims she's from Boston, but I've been to Boston MANY times, and I've NEVER heard anyone talk like that.Her phony ass-kissing of every guest is pathetic, and she's just so clueless and such a snob it's disgusting. She should really retire, and they should stick to 3 co-hosts..,maybe we'd be able to understand what they"re saying once in a while. I'm glad they didn't pick Sherry, she's got a very strident voice. I mean, it's a TALK show but what good is it if you can't stand to hear any of them TALK???

Jake

I would take Star Jones any day of the week forever. Rosie was and is and forever will be a DISASTER. Whoopi is a mess if you look at her history with Danson and some other pecadillo's. Star was none of that. Yet, she was bombarded with bad jokes, bad humor and downright rude comments.
The liberals just loved Rosie, and I predict that they will love Whoopi as well at least after an initial break-in period. When Whoopi gets into her wild bad-mouthing liberal mode again I predict an end to the view.

cat

OH MY GOD! She has even turned off her fellow liberals. She needs to get a makeover. Enough with the hairdo and awful oversized men's apparel. This show is beyond help.
I'm over all the political bashing and wish they would get back to good old "gossip". Far to much arguing about government issues. Not enjoyable.

Denise

I think they should bring in a "no name--someone who is a everyday, real person. As long as she was charasmatic, classy, and could speak intelligently--hey, that's ME!!!!!

Denise

Sorry--I spelled charismatic incorrectly.

fartingjim

Whoopi started today with a RACIST bang. Fool.

Tracy Smallwood

I love the fact that Whoopie is on the view but I think the other ladies need to loosen up a bit. I think at times things said and opinions expressed are taken too personally among the divas. The Michael Vick comment mad by Whoopie was just her opinion of the situation and besides, as along as this Vick thing has been going on why mention it now on the show? The subject was never brought up before Whoopie was on the show this whole Vick ordeal is not only out of hand but it has allowed prejudice to raise her ugly head once again.

Ocean

ABC Needs to Fire Whoopi Immediately !!! It seems everyone has conveniently forgotten that several years ago Whoopi Goldberg totally TRASHED the National Anthem on an HBO special by inserting profanities (like M_____F____) nearly every other word throughout the song. In my opinion, this was a million times more offensive than what Don Imus did. ABC needs look into this and after reviewing the HBO Special for themselves, they need to immediately fire Whoopi from her new position on The View. Honestly, I don’t think ABC has enough courage to do so.

Ocean

Why ABC should fire Whoopi immediately !!! It seems everyone has conveniently forgotten that several years ago Whoopi Goldberg totally TRASHED the National Anthem on an HBO special by inserting the profanities (like M_____F____) nearly every other word throughout the song. In my opinion, this was a million times more offensive than what Don Imus did. ABC needs look into this and after reviewing the HBO Special for themselves, they need to immediately fire Whoopi from her new position on The View. Honestly, I don’t think ABC has enough courage to do so. I think ABC needs to explain why they are keeping her on if they do not fire her !!!

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9