Garrison and Sister's Written Plea to Judge

8/2/2007 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained letters written to Judge Elden Fox from Lane Garrison and his sister, Amelia pleading for mercy.
Lane Garrison: Click to read
In two separate documents, the Garrison siblings give the judge a rundown of their tragic history.

In the sad letter written by Amelia, a family history of violence and alcohol abuse is described. Amelia says her family was so dysfunctional, she attempted to take her own life at the age of 10. Lane tried to gain custody of Amelia when he was 17, but he was deemed too young by the court to care for her. On two separate occasions, Amelia says she had to administer CPR to both her parents, who were unconscious.

Garrison's mother and father are both deceased.

Yep

When you take a life, you should do life.

Mistake or not, take responsibility for your actions.

arby

How convenient that the Garrison parents are dead and can't corroborate anything in the two letters... Throw the book at him.

DANI

WRONG Mickey Mouse aka #28

We feel compassion, there is a difference's. He's owned up to what he's done. He's guilt ridden all over his face. He's willing to take responsibility for what he did, and do the time, he has said that over and over again. 90 days, and a record that will be with him for a life time!!! Yeah and what if it is 90 days... and he's learned "the lesson"? (then the system worked) and what if it was 6 years, (like others in prison inmates do, and they go out and kill, rape, mug, murder after 6 years, he didn't go out and murder someone, like some do, now did he?..) so what's the lesson? You tell me! It's not about the time with me, its about learning the lesson. Do I think there needs to be consequences to his action, of course I do. What that is, I'm not sure, 90, 120 , 365 days, 3 years? i don't know... Every case is handled differently. You don't know how long probation time will be, you don't know how much community service there will be, and how he's going to have to do it, you don't know about all the previsions that will be placed on his life!

Sometimes when you tell someone something once, they get it, others you have to tell 3 or 4 times. Everyone is different!

Somebody , shoot it! Quick!

It is good Lane's and Ameliea's parent sare dead. They were worthless, useless pieces of space on the planet.

Hopefuly ,Amelia is not a parent yet, abused by men yet, due to her background. Hopefully, she has had some good adults give her a lifeline. Hoepfully ,she is having anormal life and has received some help from therapy.

Lane has accepted responsibiltiy. He did an awful thing. The boys parents should have been more aware of his surroundings, whereabouts as well.
Lane had a chance at the golden ring. he couldhave had his ister with him now and he couldhave found good people tohelp guide him. He got a chance at the golden ring. Some people like me ,are still in our careers trying to grab a hold of the aluminum foil ring and will be happy when we get that ring.
Lane blew it! His life and somebody else's. The parents of al of the kids he ws withwill ue him. They will have to fight over who gets the most money becuse the boy was not a millionaire by no means.
Does he get a year? Six yrs? A month ? There is not an acting future for him. you can write him off the like that Vincent guy.

jesus

The fact is Lane was driving he had drugs in his system he got in the accident that killed his passenger. Lane Garrison needs a swift kick in the ass and so does this judge Fox. this man should be at least doing 15 years for what he has done. This is just insane that he's only serving 90 days in prison. you people honestly think this is a suitable ruling for killing someone? think about it if it was me or you that this happneed to you bet your ass we would be doing alot more time than this guy.

missy

i am sure the victim's parents ask themselves several times each day what they could have done different. they will live the rest of their lives serving out their "punishment."

as for lane, lots of poor brown people had unspeakably awful childhoods too, but if they commit crimes as an adult, they are only asked about their citizenship before being locked away.

becky

I never comment on these sites but this story compelled me to do so.

#22 - I read your comment directed towards #8. I've found this is a very typical argument from people towards others who may feel sorry for the 'criminal'.

When I was 15 I lost my cousin to a drunk driving accident and just one month ago I lost a best friend of 10 years to a drunk driving accident as well. I am just recently getting over my best friend's death and one would assume that I would be non-sympathetic to this man's plea. But, on the contrary I am sympathetic to him.

I don't think his sister's letter about their troubled child hood was at all saying that it gave him an excuse for his behavior. It was more of a testimony of his real character, one that truly seems to be good (for lack of a better word). Unfortunately, during college and even highschool I made the stupid mistake of driving drunk and could have easily ended up in a situation this man finds himself in, I was just lucky that it didn't happen. I'm a good person, a good mother, a good wife.

My best friend was a good person. Unfortunately she thought she could make it the 5 miles home from the bar and she paid with her life. Tragically Lane Garrison made a fatal mistake, one I'm sure he'll never forget and never forgive himself for. Do I think he should get off scott free? No. But sometimes good people do bad things. Does it make it better to trade one life for another?

jesus

Getting into a car while you're drunk and have drugs in your system is not an accident its irresponsible. He knew the consequenses of drinking and driving and he should pay much more time in prison for those irresponsible actions.

Mad as Hell

The only thing that's "tragic" is that he killed a kid and got away with it. Sucks.

sarah

Billy 100% right. #32 Im sure he did not plan on killing that night but the fact of the matter is HE DID and he should pay its amazing how his PSA came out the same week of his sentencing im sure that and his letters about his sad life unfortunatly gained him some sympathy , he does not have my sympathy .He is resposnible for the death of a human being and needs to pay. And trying to blame the victims parents in any way is dispicible i was a teenager not to long ago my parents taught he right from wrong yet there were times when i snuc out and did things i should not have without them knowing so please Dont blame the parents they have lost their only son and Lane should pay i dont think he is sorry yet more sorry he got caught he will be back in the party scene soon enough...........

Alicia

That is part of the game the legal system plays. Those letters are scripted by a lawyer. If not, then by someone connected to foster-person Joe Simpson. Actresses, Jessica and Ashley Simpson's father took in Lane Garrison as a juvenile because Lane was a bad-azz street kid. His troubled childhood is nothing remarkable. Lots of children suffer. Now if I read that he is so remorseful that he will donate 5 million dollars to the juvenile system to help other children - I could stomach him. Oh and by the way, Lane, since you have been given another chance - it's time to grow up and sober.

sarah

#35 I am sorry about your loss , U ar right good people do bad things but they still have to be punished. Nobody is taking Lanes life i just think he should go to prison for longer than 90 days(3 months is a slap on the wrist) where he can sit and think about what he did and the life he took.

show me the $$

Boo frickety hoo. I've heard worse stories from people who are succesful in life and didn't kill anybody. When I hear people trying to get out of something they've done by blaming mom and/or dad and what they did 20 years ago (and his parents aren't even alive to defend themselves), it's because they don't have a valid excuse for poor judgement and reckless behavior. 90 days is a slap on the wrist. He was lucky twice.

Hollywood

8. Anyone who does not feel sorry for these two needs mental help. All the cruel posts are very disturbing. The 17 year old's parent should share some responsibility for their own son's death because they let him drink and go to Hollywood parties. Where was the parental supervision? Also, they were all drunk! Any of those assclowns could have been driving! Peace to you Lane and Amelia.

Posted at 5:04PM on Aug 2nd 2007 by Molly

Totally agree Molly! I can't believe how self righteous the haters are...my gawd.

Compassion in Large Doses

Eh, hem. After reading each of their letters, I have to say that I am deeply moved. I'm not one who lets people of the hook that easily for the choices they make, but it is quite clear to me (even if you Yayhoos on here don't see it) that Lane is taking great strides to take full responsibility for his actions. He is prepared to spend time in jail, but can any one of you honestly say that you wouldn't keep your fingers crossed that by some miracle the judge would go easy on you if you were in his shoes? Give me a break, you'd be lying if you said you wouldn't. He made a grave mistake getting behind the wheel that night, and he WILL live with that for the rest of his live regardless of how much time he spends in jail. By the way, his sister was the one who drew the picture of his tragic childhood, not him, so stop accusing him of blaming his actions on that. And to another point, I don't mean to disrespect the dead, but every one in that vehicle, including the young man who died, made a conscious decision to get in that car. That doesn't make Lane's actions okay, but it certainly doesn't mean that Lane should have to bear the entire burden of what happened, just because he was driving. Any one of the people in that car could have been behind the wheel, and if one of them had been sober, they should have offered (scratch that) INSISTED on driving instead. All those who survived that accident should feel guilt and responsibility for what happened to that young man. Whether or not Lane Garrison serves time, his message will not change. He will still dedicate himself to teaching people the consequences of drinking and driving. But, I agree, that he is truly remorseful and that he is capable of doing so much more good free, than behind bars.