Garrison and Sister's Written Plea to Judge

8/2/2007 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained letters written to Judge Elden Fox from Lane Garrison and his sister, Amelia pleading for mercy.
Lane Garrison: Click to read
In two separate documents, the Garrison siblings give the judge a rundown of their tragic history.

In the sad letter written by Amelia, a family history of violence and alcohol abuse is described. Amelia says her family was so dysfunctional, she attempted to take her own life at the age of 10. Lane tried to gain custody of Amelia when he was 17, but he was deemed too young by the court to care for her. On two separate occasions, Amelia says she had to administer CPR to both her parents, who were unconscious.

Garrison's mother and father are both deceased.

Terry

Re : # 53 by "ma2one"
" Molly ( #8), thank you for speaking out so well on this. Your comment was very well said "

Yours ma2one was also well said, mature and wise, A rarity here.

rtms

People the Judge delayed sentencing so he could undergo a 90 day psychological evaluation, to determine his state, and to get all the info straight. He has not been sentenced for the crime yet! Read a little and get it right.

Janice

I have to wonder why so many people find this outrageous? This was not a murder case, it was vehicular manslaughter, which IS a terrible charge, but differs GREATLY from murder.

Personally, I think the judge made an honorable decision for a few reasons. Namely, the amount of genuine remorse that has been expressed by Lane and the fact that he is taking full responsibility for his actions speak volumes. While I am not excusing his actions, I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the people who are judging him so harshly have driven when they have had one too many drinks. The difference is they were lucky enough to make it home safely and without detection.

I also have to question why a 17 year old was even out partying with people in their mid-20's and allowed to drink? Typical that people do not give the victim's any sense of accountability, even though this 17 year old kid made the choice to go out drinking AND he made the choice to get into the car with someone behind the wheel who had also been drinking. While I am NOT blaming the victim, I am surprised that others have seemed to overlook the level of personal responsibility (or lack thereof) that ALL the occupants of that vehicle had that night. At the very least, Lane is owning up to his mistakes, something that not many people in Hollywood (or in general) seem capable of doing. Lastly, let's not forget or discredit the lingering effect this accident will have over him for the rest of his life. He will always have to deal with the fact that someone died as a result of his carelessness, something which sits heavily on his conscience.

Larry

He made a huge mistake. Booze and drugs make this possible because people lose all perspective and think they're super capable. Anybody who has gotten loaded knows this. He should have had a designated sober driver, or taken a cab. He screwed up big time. The letters don't say treat Lane Garrison as special, they say this is what he really is when he is sober. And even drunk, he is not a monster, just "under the influence" of something that alters common sense to the point of non-existence. People need to realize they have to make preparatory arrangements if they want to get plowed. 90 days of evaluation? Maybe it's what works in this case, with at least a year or two tacked on. This man has a chance to change things. The teen's parents, poor souls, can be a part of it, teaching parental responsibility.

Terry

# 62 Good post Larry and factual

Your right Lane is not asking to be treated special. His sister is not using their childhood at all just telling it like it was and who Lane is.
I can tell the poster's who have read the letters and those that have plowed right on in with their thoughts.

Terry

What a bunch of twits some of you are. Do you read at all? Lane is going for a 90 days eval, that is not the sentence!!!!!!!!!!!

virginia

The whole thing is a tragedy. I DO feel sad for both sides of the situation.
Drinking should be one of the 7 deadly Sins. ..but not replacing what I've been seeing here in the comments...Rath & Pride..

Chrissy

I definitely feel for Amelia and Lane and I know exactly what growing up with an alcoholic father is like. Amelia's letter brought me to tears because I know that could've been me and my sister.. it's so disturbing the crap that children of alcoholics are put through. From what I've seen Lane is taking responsibility for his actions and pleading guilty. How did Nicole and Paris plead? I know they didn't kill anyone driving drunk but they could have.

me

Hell no, I wasn't moved by either letter. He KILLED someone.

The sisters letter sounded like she wanted a medal or something. EVERYONE has a story. Whether they're rich or poor, had great parents or not ... So if their parents were sex offenders and he goes out and rapes a child, it's OK because ... boo hoo - it's all he knew?

Give me a freaking break.

His sister needs to grow up. The judge didn't need her whole sappy life story. The bad things that MAY have happened should have made BOTH of them very AWARE of the dangers of alcohol and drugs. So, no, they get no pity from me.

The only people who are worthy of your pity AT ALL are the victim, his poor parents and his extended family and friends - those people will continue to suffer dearly for this CRIME. Far past the 90 days Garrison received.

revel

Dear God, you people are heartless. He made a mistake. It was an accident, albeit with tragic consequences. I think he deserves mercy and compassion.

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

You don't deal with a bad childhood by being self-destructive and careless of others lives..

How many people have had real bad or tragic childhoods and they try to be strong survivors.

He seemed fakey, his acting was not that good.

LMFAO

^^ You're right he is an actor and a damn good one at that, 90-days behind bars not to bad all told. I know that many of you would like to see him go down for life- well that ain't gonna happen now.

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

I read and understood enough to know the guy is getting breaks others don't.
History of violence and alcohol that's the whole city's population, the judge probably had some too.

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

THE ONE WHO DID GO DOWN FOR LIFE WAS THE ONE HE KILLED, YOUR RIGHT HE DIDN'T

Lizzy

#18 "Murder"? Lane, although very wrong because he drank, did some drugs and got behind the wheel when he shouldn't have for legal and ethical reasons. However he did not intentinal kill or murder the kid. It was an accident!!! Put yourselves in his situation instead of being so quick to judge. How many times have you, your parents, siblings or friends had something to drink and then got behind the wheel? Do you think the people you know and love should also spend an extended amount of time in jail? Accidently killing someone while under the influence of alcohol is a big, big deal but it was an accident. People should be punished but spending years in jail should be reserved for people who commit vicious intentional crimes.