Thandie Newton's Bulimia Battle

8/5/2007 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Pursuit of Happyness" star Thandie Newton battled bulimia for a year.

The tiny actress told People that her eating disorder started when she was a teen ballet dancer, and that she ate "nothing but cottage cheese" in order to stay thin.

Years later, after a string of emotionally abusive relationships, Newton had an eating disorder relapse. Her bulimia was so severe that she has "scars on my knuckles from where I put my fingers down my throat."

It wasn't until she went to a therapist years later that she "made the connection between shame and self abuse."

Newton has been married for the last nine years and has two daughters, Ripley, 6, and Nico, 2.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Yuck

Not a clue who she is, never seen her????
Must not be too big of a Star!

Tangie

She's gorgeous, glad she's better.

Kiki

u care, u had the first posting on this board.

davis

Wasn't she also in mission impossible with tom cruise. She was very thin in Pursuit of Happyness. I'm glad she overcame it.

Susan

It was painfully obvious in Norbit that she was unnaturally thin. The stylists made no attempt to hide her boniness, in fact in many of her scenes I remember it being distracting.

Old School

Don't know her and don't care and I have as much interest in her Bulimia as to what brand of toilet paper she uses in other words why use up space writing about her?

Will

She is stunningly beautiful. First saw her in besieged. Absolutely gorgeous .Among the great actresses of our time. I wish her the best of health and happiness.

smc

She also was on ER a couple of years back.

Sebastian

------------------------Vote Today-----------------

--Harvey and the TMZ Staff----------

---------------For the Noble Peace Prize------------

Guy

Nice to hear Thandie is well. She is very beautiful and very underated as an actress.

whatever

I think she's had a problem for more than a year. I saw her at sundance 10 years and she looked like a crack addict and this was before everyone started looking that way too. She was ahead of the curve. She's still stick. I still don't understand how she and Nicole Richie can procreate.

10inch

who is she? who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notbuyingit

Man, I'd do her. Anorexia or not...hell, she can regurgitate on me

celebrity.web.net

horray for bulimia!

nobozo

Why doesnt she put the blame where it lays and fess up to the fact she chose to work in an industry where stick figure women is the norm. Both ballet and film require women to maintain rediculous weights as the norm. She needs to grow a backbone and grow up since she's a mother to two girls who will likely have her neurotic disease as well. Nice going, mommy.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments