Thandie Newton's Bulimia Battle

8/5/2007 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Pursuit of Happyness" star Thandie Newton battled bulimia for a year.

The tiny actress told People that her eating disorder started when she was a teen ballet dancer, and that she ate "nothing but cottage cheese" in order to stay thin.

Years later, after a string of emotionally abusive relationships, Newton had an eating disorder relapse. Her bulimia was so severe that she has "scars on my knuckles from where I put my fingers down my throat."

It wasn't until she went to a therapist years later that she "made the connection between shame and self abuse."

Newton has been married for the last nine years and has two daughters, Ripley, 6, and Nico, 2.

AK

For all of you who doesn't know who she is. Her breakout role was playing opposite Ashton in "Guess Who"

dude

Hollywood is so F'D!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwenny

Since she got over this years ago, why bother to bring this lil nugget up now? What is the point? Musta been a slow celeb news day...what, Paris and Lindsey keepin' it on the downlow?

Bob B.

Bulimia is not a disease. It's a personality flaw, just like anorexia. Doctor's make everyone want to believe everything is a disease.

These girls need to see people in poor areas completely starving. Maybe they won't take food for granted anymore. Humans and their problems. If there isn't a problem, we'll make one up. It's sad.

People want what they don't have and take for granted what they do. I'd say that sums up 50% of the human race. The other 25% are poor but keep reproducing children and make it hell for the child and the other 25% are a mixed bag of rich people and normal people who are kind and considerate.

Thandie looked terrible in recent flicks, but ok in The Time Machine. Who knows what went wrong.

The people with these problems don't know what "real" problems are. There are people suffering from real physical or mental problems that they cannot solve. It's like a slap in their face to call Bulimia/Anorexia a disease.

ohnoudient

Very pretty young woman and a great actress. Love Thandie!

give the dog a bone

...Buy this chick a cheese burger and fries please!

Kat

I first saw Thandie Newton in Beloved in 1998, and she was really great and scary in the role especially when she wanted "sweets" all the time.

Tiana

Bulimia never looked better! I think she's absolutely fab. Which I could stand puking. Anyway, she was in Gridlocked with Tupac and someone else a few years back. She was great even then.

Go Thandie!

Eric Vaughan

Everybody knows who Thandie Newton is unless they've gots lots of money to leave the country for the entire winter. BTW, I think it's spelt Sandy Newton. Thandie is just the way that British guy Simon lisps it.

kim

i hate puke

joe

I GUESS THIS YOUNG SUCCESSFUL ACTOR IS NOT KNOWN BECAUSE SHES NOT ON DRUGS MAKING SEX TAPES OR DRIVING TO ENDANGER PEOPLES LIVES ALL SHE HAS DONE WAS BE MARRIED 9 YRS TAKE CARE OF HER KIDS AND BATTLE A DEADLY DISORDER AND MAINTAIN A CARREER. AMAZING THINGS THAT SHOULD BE APPLAUDED ARE IGNORED AND THINGS THAT SHOULD BE IGNORED APPLAUDED

Trish

no one has bulimia for a year..it's an embarrassing issue so that's why they only
say a year.

Regina

Those of you who don't know and don't care most likely are not fans of movies that feature AA's in their movies. At first I was concerned, however my niece cleared it up for me. Thandie also was a co star in the movie Drumline. She is a beautiful woman and a talented actress who has a very bright future ahead of her. What do you do.

jerome

Tuff! Am I supposed to feel sorry for her? I don't even know who she is.

Shannon

I hope she's on the road to recovery. I think she's gorgeous, and she did an amazing job in the movie Crash.