To Catch A Predator -- Lights, Camera, Entrapment?

8/8/2007 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A high-powered celebrity lawyer representing a doctor accused of being a sexual predator went after "Dateline NBC" yesterday in a California courtroom.

Blair Berk, whose clients include Lindsay Lohan, Mel Gibson and Halle Berry, is currently representing Dr. Maurice Wolin, a prominent oncologist. The doctor was taken down by cops last year as "Dateline" cameras rolled. Prosecutors say Dr. Wolin made plans to have a sexual encounter with someone on the Internet who he thought was a 13-year-old girl. In fact, the person who was IMing Dr. Wolin was self-proclaimed "evil vigilante" Xavier Von Erck, founder of Perverted Justice.

In yesterday's preliminary hearing in Santa Rosa California, Berk grilled a cop whose department worked with Perverted Justice and "Dateline." Berk maintained that Perverted Justice got money for snagging alleged predators and therefore entrapped her client to make a buck. She claimed Perverted Justice illegally recorded conversations with her client and also said the chat logs could not be authenticated. The logs have not been admitted into evidence.

The cop who testified yesterday called the chat logs "extensive" and "extremely incriminating." In one exchange, the doctor allegedly asked to come over to her house, but added, "But you're under 18 and I'm over. We would have to be soo careful."

NBC rented the house that was used for the doctor's alleged sexual liaison.

Xavier Von Erck will testify when the prelim resumes next month. The judge will then decide whether to admit the critical logs into evidence and then determine if Dr. Wolin will stand trial.

Staci

A county prosecutor in Collin County, Texas is refusing to prosecute the men who showed up for the Dateline sting in a Texas city. The citizens here are not happy about that and would love your support in holding his office accountable. Look up the story and contact him about it if you like:

Gregory Davis, First Assistant District Attorney
210 S. McDonald, Suite 324
McKinney, Tx 75069

972-548-4323 ext. 4332

davisgrego@co.collin.tx.us

Thanks!

Debe

How does anyone get entrapped into talking dirty to and meeting with a child for sexual encounters? If the "good Doctor" isn' a pediphile why on earth would he risk his reputation and have the exchange in the first place? He should be put away forever. He is a PIG.

Lara

Wondering out loud if the attorney would feel the same if he had talked to his children in such a demeaning way. This guy should be tried, found guilty and thrown in jail.

Deb

Date Line DID NOT cross the line. I'm so thankful that they are getting these creeps off the street. No body makes those people go to the houses. They do it of their on free will. The creeps are just mad and upset because they got caught and lo and behold for the world to see what kind of pathetic creatures they REALLY are.

Tim

I don't believe ANY of those individuals caught on perverted justice have been entrapped. A man who has no sexual interest in children could never be entrapped into doing what is unthinkable to a normal person.

PAK

I think dateline did the right thing by hauling all these sick grown men to jail. This man is a dr and he took and oath to help sick people, not helping himself to little girls. I am a parent of a 14 year old girl and if i catch a grown man trying to get with her i would castrate them! The only reason the dr was crying like a liitle girl was because he got caught. I do not feel sorry for him, he should do some hard time in jail. Let him see what it is like to be raped behind bars!!!!!
PAK.

Bobbie

Entrapment my ass. This guy is sick. I also wonder about the person defending him and I wonder about the 17% that voted that Dateline crossed the line. I guess there perverts to.

MomtoTwo

This is sick! Anyone who would attempt to be with a child should be locked up! The laws are way to lenient on these people. Just because this guy has money he thinks he should get away with it? Please....

J.D.

I don't think TV showes should deal in Entrapment to put on a TV show and since they have done so everyone of the guys that got busted should get off since NBC did this STING because they sit up this sting as a TV show for entertainment then they should get off ! If the police set this up and NBC simple filmed this it would be a different story.Because I'm sure it would be conducted in a different way than Chris Hanson did it!

justbrowsingthankyou

What is amazing is the fact that the number of predators that they catch in these stings is only a fraction of what is really out there. I am a teacher and coach. I have personally turned in a coach for having sexual relations with several students. I was labeled a trouble maker by the administration of that school district. These teachers and coaches who carry on sexual relations with students don't need the internet. They have the entire student body at their fingertips. It is totally amazing to me how many incidences go unreported. I have two little girls of my own. When they get to be teenagers, you bet your ass daddy's gonna know with whom my girls associate with. My wife and I have already started dialog with our girls about inappropriate touching and inappropriate behavior in general. Just like everything else, It all starts at home.

LARRY GODDEN

I SAY THIS SIMPLY CASTERATE ALL PERVERTS AND CHILD MOLESTORS=THIS WORKS WONDERS FOR ANIMALS& A MAN IS JUST A HUMAN ANIMAL- SO JUST=CASTERATE HIM & HE WILL HAVE NO MORE DESIRE-SOCIETY IS SAFE AND SPARED THE
$!,000,000,0O IN SUPPOSED USELESS THERAPY
JUST CASTRERATE THEM==TRUST ME- IT IS THE PERFECT ANSWER& WILL SAVE $$MILLIONS OF $$$ --& IT'S MORE USEFUL THAN TRYING TO HOUSE & PROTECT THEM THANKS LARRY

Tonya

To Catch A Predator is a GREAT show! If those dumba$$es that chat with underage kids have enough nerve to actually show up, they deserve everything they get.! Its a shame , they couldn't just be sent straight to prison., instead of wasting time and money on a trial!

Kiuku

Maybe he just wanted to play scrabble? heh

ME

Dateline did not the cross the line. The Prevert Did!!!

hotwheels

Yeah, these guys are all guilty, however, I do not see how this is NOT entrapment.

Previous 15 Comments | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments