To Catch A Predator -- Lights, Camera, Entrapment?

8/8/2007 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A high-powered celebrity lawyer representing a doctor accused of being a sexual predator went after "Dateline NBC" yesterday in a California courtroom.

Blair Berk, whose clients include Lindsay Lohan, Mel Gibson and Halle Berry, is currently representing Dr. Maurice Wolin, a prominent oncologist. The doctor was taken down by cops last year as "Dateline" cameras rolled. Prosecutors say Dr. Wolin made plans to have a sexual encounter with someone on the Internet who he thought was a 13-year-old girl. In fact, the person who was IMing Dr. Wolin was self-proclaimed "evil vigilante" Xavier Von Erck, founder of Perverted Justice.

In yesterday's preliminary hearing in Santa Rosa California, Berk grilled a cop whose department worked with Perverted Justice and "Dateline." Berk maintained that Perverted Justice got money for snagging alleged predators and therefore entrapped her client to make a buck. She claimed Perverted Justice illegally recorded conversations with her client and also said the chat logs could not be authenticated. The logs have not been admitted into evidence.

The cop who testified yesterday called the chat logs "extensive" and "extremely incriminating." In one exchange, the doctor allegedly asked to come over to her house, but added, "But you're under 18 and I'm over. We would have to be soo careful."

NBC rented the house that was used for the doctor's alleged sexual liaison.

Xavier Von Erck will testify when the prelim resumes next month. The judge will then decide whether to admit the critical logs into evidence and then determine if Dr. Wolin will stand trial.

Robert

Hey Doc, you comprimised your integrity.You put yourself in that position. Dateline didn"t reach out to you, you went fishing and caught an illegal, you should have tossed it back .Now that you got caught your crying foul! Instead of playing with your computer you should have been playing with your wife!

pedophiles be damned

Do not fault the law for giving the Doc an opportunity to defend himself...nor the lawyer for defending him. Though, if I were her, I wouldn't have taken the case - as one cemmentor stated...she should have said "NO!"

As for the Doc possibly getting off due to entrapment...think again. First, we are talking about crimes against kids. As a parent I am greatly pleased with and thankful for the efforts put forth by both Perverted Justice and the Police. Second, why would one have the nerve to suggest entrapment when the Doc went through great effort, on his own, to arrange a meet whereby the only intent was to have sex with a child. Now, let me repeat...sex with a CHILD!!! Is it entrapment when the police set up prostitution and drug stings? What makes this situation any different...other than it being about sex with CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?!?

I, too, am hopeful he sees the inside of a cell...for many years, and not in solitary either - put him in with the general population so he can become someone's biatch.

I wonder if his wife has left him yet (if not she needs to see a shrink) and whether he is still practicing (if so then all those who still utilize his services should see a shrink too).

Dee

Jacog Kasza, don't talk to me about "ethics" while not saying ONE word about "ethical" and "moral" behavior of these preditors of children. To me, you're the same as them.

RealityChecker

Sure it's entrapment. If it weren't for the NATURE of the crime, these guys would get away clean.

But, like everyone else.... I want these guys to HANG!!! And yes, regardless of the entrapment, they ARE guilty!

MKS

the 15% thinking that dateline is in the wrong are probably people who fear being caught for the same thing this guys a sicko thank god he got caught

MERB

stop protecting the criminals! shame on the lawyers. He's not denying he did it, he's just psised off that he was caught. too bad!

caa

Entrapment???? Excuse me but he asked her bra size and agreed to meet her even though she said she was under age. It doesn't matter if "she" was a decoy or not. He thought she was 13 year old girl. What he did is against the law no matter how you look at it. He's a sleazy pervert and any lawyer who represents him is just as sleazy. I hope he rots in jail.

DAUNN

WONDERING IF DR. PERV. HAS CHILDREN?
IF HE DOES, MAYBE THE POLICE SHOULD QUESTION
THEM AND SEE HOW AFFECTIONATE DADDY WAS WITH THEM
ROT UNDER THE JAIL

Ali

Doesn't matter how they catch them. As long as it saves young kids from these pervs i'm all for it. Whoever defends them has to be a bit knocked in the head as well.

Mjoyce1966

Tsk....tsk....another one got caught.

What is it about men that they can't control their urges? You don't see women raping boys, mutilating their genitals, videotaping them having sex with minors and post it on the internet.

And.........for men? Well they don't care if it's a boy or a girl.

Take the billions of dollars being spent foolishly in this country.....and put it towards good use. Open up and study the brains of these sick perverted freaks.

Sally

I've seen all of the Dateline "To Catch A Preditor" shows, and all of the sick bastards that were caught are guilty. This doctor is a disgrace to the human race. I hope he gets even MORE publicity so MORE people will know what a sicko he is. I wonder if Blair Berk has children???????

totoafrica

Why don't we all just take out the lawyer and the perv. A vigilante is a person or persons who ignore due process of law after a crime has been committed, instead enacting their own form of justice when they deem the response of the authorities to be insufficient. My grandfather was one. Lets bring it back.

mother of 5

I hope everyone in his community see him for the perv he is. I hope justice is served. He went to meet a underage girl. He's guilty.

AgainstChildPredation

Child predation may be caused by a mental illness, but mentally ill persons who harm others have to be put away from the public or hospitalized, or both. I think the "Dateline" show is doing a public service, and as a parent, am grateful that it exists. The police and the public..in fact all of decent society... should be praising them and following up on the leads they are bringing up, and putting those child predators in prison or hospitals, or better yet, PRISON hospitals! I am going to write my congreesmen, senators and all Presidential candidates and let them know how I feel. I hope everyone will!

Nikki

this ridcious there is evidence "we will have to be soo careful" who else would say such a disgusting thing to a teenager? A PERV WOULD!