To Catch A Predator -- Lights, Camera, Entrapment?

8/8/2007 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A high-powered celebrity lawyer representing a doctor accused of being a sexual predator went after "Dateline NBC" yesterday in a California courtroom.

Blair Berk, whose clients include Lindsay Lohan, Mel Gibson and Halle Berry, is currently representing Dr. Maurice Wolin, a prominent oncologist. The doctor was taken down by cops last year as "Dateline" cameras rolled. Prosecutors say Dr. Wolin made plans to have a sexual encounter with someone on the Internet who he thought was a 13-year-old girl. In fact, the person who was IMing Dr. Wolin was self-proclaimed "evil vigilante" Xavier Von Erck, founder of Perverted Justice.

In yesterday's preliminary hearing in Santa Rosa California, Berk grilled a cop whose department worked with Perverted Justice and "Dateline." Berk maintained that Perverted Justice got money for snagging alleged predators and therefore entrapped her client to make a buck. She claimed Perverted Justice illegally recorded conversations with her client and also said the chat logs could not be authenticated. The logs have not been admitted into evidence.

The cop who testified yesterday called the chat logs "extensive" and "extremely incriminating." In one exchange, the doctor allegedly asked to come over to her house, but added, "But you're under 18 and I'm over. We would have to be soo careful."

NBC rented the house that was used for the doctor's alleged sexual liaison.

Xavier Von Erck will testify when the prelim resumes next month. The judge will then decide whether to admit the critical logs into evidence and then determine if Dr. Wolin will stand trial.

Cindy

He will Probably SUE dateline, and Perverted justice , and their lawyers will "settle". I bet theres some law somewhere , that says they cant put you on tv unless you sign a waiver or some such loophole. He should Be a MAN, and face the Music, seek help for his sicko Problem. But No, His entire practice Im sure is GONE... no Money coming in now. So he will claim loss of lively hood. Even Though HE is a SICK Perv that Got caught. Perverted justice NEVER, ever says anything sexual FIRST, so entrapment I would think will be thrown Out. The Pervs always start the Sexual talk first, and the Fake 13 Year Old , just Goes along with it, with answers Like cool, or Neat etc. That Doctor Im Sure had done it BEFORE, and it would be GREAT if who ever hes contacted before or met would come forward!

jolene

This is guy is so guilty...He wanted to have sex with a 13 year old, he is sick and what he thinks he can come out and try to give a court a chewbacca defenses in order to distract from the fact that he is a pervert and shpuld never be a ble to practice again...WAWAWAA

Yuck

Uh to the person who stated he didn't do anything wrong cause he was chatting to a adult (P.J.) not a child....................uh duh Dr. Perve didn't know he was talking to a adult he logged on and thought he was talking to a child. and He didn't drive over a hour to go see a adult, he drove to see a child.
Lets face it folks, If you're over 18 I think we all should know (Boys and Girls)
under 18 are off limits, If you chat with them then then take your punishment.
I live in Columbus Ohio and just on the news yesterday they arrested a man who had been chatting with a Franklin County Deputy (uh doing a sting) see P.J. and Dateline aren't the only one who do this. and he was trying to hook up with a young boy, (Guess what it wasn't the first time they've busted Mr. Wonderful)

Also on the news they arrested a "Youth Counselor" at a Christian Camp who was messing with little children and he's a daddy to 6 kids and he had a shady past that made it through a background check.
They interview a Mom on TV who's child he had been the kids soccer coach,
(Mom was smart) she pulled the kid off the team when "pervert coach/counselor/daddy" started to show a real interest in her child..... Sadly for the kids he molested at the camp. this Mom feels guilty she didn't do more to report him she might have saved the recent victims.

Yes as parents we need to inform out kids, I have a 14 year old son who doesn't go on chat lines, he doesn't have a MYSPACE acct and when he's on his XBOX 360 with his headsets on I'm nearby and I've informed him what to do if someone starts getting personal.

These Perverts earn the kids trust, they groom them. Folks this isn't something new, Our Police Depts have these stings to trap these men and woman all the time. (So are these entrapment too!)

iF A ADULT IS REAL INTERESTED IN YOUR MINOR CHILD, THERE IS A REASON AND YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL.

and to all the folks who keep writing silly stuff to defend these perverts they just want a reaction don't give it to them. Just wonder to yourself....gee I wonder which episode they were on????? LOLL LOL LOL

I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO I'M MORE DISGUSTED WITH THE PERVERTS OR THE FOLKS WHO ARE DEFENDING THE PERVERTS ACTIONS.

Cincinnati here

Hey #44 "Henry", yes parents should monitor their kids but you are missing the point:
IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO MEET CHILDREN FOR SEX.

And how hard do you think it is to prove that he was the one on the computer? Dumb ass that's what a forensic investigation (as well as other evidence) will show.

This idiot may or may not do time but he sure as hell won't be practicing medicine after all is said and done.

BeReal

The show is wrong, the reasons are right. Let Law enforcement do the work, Perverted Justice is a criminal driven mafia group, organized crime who gets paid by big brother NBC. The Chat logs are Doctored up, conversations are not what the public see, and they add to the log what makes the public believe they knew what they were doing. Wrong, cant wait to see the downfall. And to top all, Datleline and PJ bribed local lawenforcements to get ratings, So as I said before, if your anything short of a well educated individual, you will see where they crossed the line. Its sad you label child predator on anything, and people just see the child predator attachment, not the root reason people are fighting this. I would think why fight this charge? But there is a reason, and the public again due to media hype and vigilante tactics, are blinded to the root cause. Hence why NBC runs these predator series over and over. Sick Media

LAWDAWG

Ryukuu, Go back to your own country!

BeReal

Most Post are from perverted justice employees.. Sad all you have time is to sit here and defend the trolling efforts you guys do. Regular people see 2 sides. Get a life and stop making it look real. How do I know this.. I was told

Yuck

You know when they first started the Catch a Predator Series there were no Police involved, If you watch the series you hear the Police Depts and District Atty's who state THEY CONTACTED P.J. AND DATELINE AND REQUESTED THAT THEY COME TO THEIR AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and y'all remember the Rabbi, they said he got 6 years in jail for his little visit to see a boy, (the judge was harsh with him cause he felt he had been a liar) Not harsh enough as far as I'm concerned.

You should google this doc's name there are 24,100 things under his name

meeper

Don't get me wrong, I despise perverts. But this 'To Catch A Predator' series needs to be closely examined and if possible removed from the airwaves. It's entrapment. I'm happy that one lawyer is calling them on it. I'm just surprised that the ACLU hasn't had more of a role in this. Are they hiding? How is it entertainment to watch some dumb jerk who's been set up get whisked off to jail? THESE GUYS ARE BEING SET UP AND THAT EQUALS ENTRAPMENT. It ain't candid camera. This show is not the American way.

Amie

Typical high-powered doc...."ooh look at me I'm wealthy and a doctor therefore I'm not guilty"
No one held a gun to his head and forced him to have a sexually explicit chat with some one who he believed to be a 13 yr old girl. He is guilty as hell and needs to be locked away, have his licence to practice revoked and put away for a very long time.
Wonder if his wife left the crying little bitch? LMAO

ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?!?

I'm so grateful to Dateline and Perverted Justice. It's great that someone finally cares enough to catch the pedos BEFORE the offense, coz the police can't/don't do anything until after the offense has occurred, IF anything is done at all. At least, this way, the pervs go to jail BEFORE they destroy a little girl or boy's life.

Now if we can just get mandatory sentences of at least 25 years for a first offense or attempt at an offense. Locking them up for 6 months doesn't do any good; they're out for five minutes and already looking for their next victim. Pedos can't be reformed, its been proven over and over again, so lock them up and throw away the key. Personally, I'm all for the death penalty because they will never conform and contribute anything to society. They punish their victims with a lifetime of horror, so why should they get any less? So, either we take care of them until they die in prison, or just wipe them off the face of the earth immediately. I vote for the latter choice.

Go Dateline and PJ! The ONLY people fighting you are the offenders/pervs themselves, or their family members who are in denial. Keep up the good fight! :)

BeReal

See, I like to hear that someone else sees what I was telling my wife the other day. Perverted Justice and NBC in our eyes were setting these guys up. And now in my mind no one would fight it if something wasnt right. I know people say they are innocent, but hell guys they are convicted before they get to the court system? Shut down this operation ASAP. And I see this Peverted justice group is violent, if against them. Talk about childish, post guys names address and phone numbers, and Im not stupid, you can edit anything in a chat log. Good luck NBC, you reall screwed up this time

Kate

I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say that at times I believe Perveted Justice is nothing more than a vigilanty who is breaking the law. I'm sorry but its the truth. I admire their reasoning behind it but the reality is in America you can't break a law in order to uphold another law. Two wrongs do not make a right. I read an article last week on CNN about Perverted Justice and several detectives were quoted as saying Perverted Justice goes too far and teeters on the side of illegal activity. The sad part is, these guys do their time, pay their fines and are out right back on the street again.

PJ fan

Dave, Perverted Justice is the entity which baits these criminals. They work directly with law enforcement. Dateline is just along for the ride. Perverted Justice has an extremely high conviction rate when working with law enforcement all over the country. The law enforcement agencies themselves DO NOT set up sting operations on their own. They do not have the time nor the expertise. They are waiting right there to catch the predators whom Perverted Justice sends them.

Internet guy

Internet Chat logs are edited, I have looked at some cases in the East. The Logs are not the originals, they are edited for TV. Not for Curse words, but for content incriminating the NBC crew and Perverted Justice. See the chats are started by the PJ person. Plus, think about it. Why would a Child of 12 13 14 be in an ADULT chatroom to begin with? These guys didnt go to Kids rooms to solicit them. The decoys went into adult rooms looking for potential guys. These are Sex rooms, people are drunk, aroused, and so on. If you know today role play and internet chat is that. Tell me one child who wants to go meet a old guy for sex? Look between the lines.

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments