Bad Sushi Night -- Brad Garrett Attacks

8/13/2007 10:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Things got downright racial last night in Malibu, when a paparazzo taunted Brad Garrett, calling him racist to his face. Garrett then took out his anger on the wrong guy, bitchslapping a TMZ photog.

It happened outside Nobu restaurant around 11:30 PM, after a photog from the FAME photo agency questioned the "Everybody Loves Raymond" star about a joke he made about black people earlier in the week. According to several witnesses and FAME, last month Brad noticed a black photog taking his picture, and in Kramer-esque fashion quipped, "I didn't know there were black people in Malibu. Go back to where you came from."

Fast forward to last night, where the 6'8" behemoth reached his boiling point when the same black photog questioned him about the alleged comment. The photog told Garrett that there were "more black people here this time," to which the actor replied, "Yeah, I know ... when did they let you out?" Furious at the comment, photog told Garrett, "You're racist. You should be ashamed on [sic] yourself."

Obviously frustrated, Garrett then lost his cool completely. Instead of reacting to the snapper making the comments, Garrett approached TMZ's cameraman and unleashed his right hand, smashing the camera into the photog's face.

Calls to Garrett's reps were not immediately returned.

nunyabizness

Who the hell is this guy anyway? The dude isn't funny! Oh well, celebrities these days just plain SUCK@ss

Jorge Bush

Too bad he didn't knock him out,and then jump up and down on his chest. Yeah,these people are celeberties,but they have a basic human right to eat a meal in peace without some damn fool playing the race card and taunting him,and some other damn fool shoving a camera in his face.

Susan L

More evidence that might makes right? For shame, Brad. I always enjoyed your performance on "Raymond," although I've never thought of you as a superstar by any means. You just fell several rungs -- and the bigger they are, the harder they fall! I wonder if some of the people that left comments even read the story OR watched the video? The TMZ pap did NOT taunt Mr. Garrett, however he took the brunt of his anger at any rate. Looked like a blatant assault to me -- I hope the guy sues. What a sad, sad commentary on Hollywood and the state of racism in this country. Anyone else think Brad Garrett should be nominated as this year's #1 role model??? I vote NO.

NeoGonzo71

Leave the man alone! So he made a so called racist comment. I wish I had a nickle for every black comedian that makes fun of asians or white people, but you never hear about that. What a stupid double standard. Everybody is entitled to an oppinion. I'm sure it was taken out of context anyway. The trash photographers that try to instigate deserve to be beaten down. I only wish he would have beat the crap out of all of those invading his personal space.

red oak kid

If the black photog believes that Garrett is a racist then why doesn't he stop taking pictures of him.

Oh wait, if he did that, he wouldn't make any money.

If I believed someone was racist I would stop selling pictures of him to magazines so he would not get any publicity.

Vivi

So who cares?

lizzie

...lol... the photographer taunted him..... and when did they let dude out?? lol roflmao

Ann

He's an ugly, idiotic, and talentless moron, just like Michael Richards. May they both burn in hell.

knowall

Strange how the actress who plays his wife is a dead on copy of the wife of "Raymond"'' you can really feel how badly he wants to be "the star" and not second banana that he is.

dallascowboyzrle

go for the camera man,how would u like to have pics taken all the time,he was tryin to get his wife in the car and the people wouldnt move. i like brad garrett hes a great actor.
the paparazzi needs to learn to back off sometimes. u wouldnt want to be followed,chased or hounded 24/7 now would u??

Karl

If you pay attention to what's going on, it's clear that he wasn't angry but frustrated by the hounding of the media and the cameraman was blocking the way of his female companion to get into the car. Notice which side of the car they're on? He was obviously protecting her from the hounding as she got into the car.

This type of media "stalking" should be against the law. If someone were hounding me like that I'm sure I'd have the legal right to get a restraining order against them. That doesn't mean he should have hit the idiot but I can understand why he did.

These "paparazzi" jackasses should learn to respect other peoples right to at least walk to their car without being hounded and harrassed.

Deborah

Legally, there was no excuse for him to hit the camera. I think there should be more laws to protect people from harassment from media.

But to me it looks more like he was trying to clear the way for the woman who was with him then punish the camera man for the other mans words.

Jack

HA, HA, HA, I just love it when the idiots are exposed. PEOPLE!!! You can't hide hate and ignorants. It's not a part of your DNA. It's a learned behavior just like everything else. Another one bites the dust. Dummy.

SimplyRed

He wouldn't have had to slap anyone,if he wouldn't have made the offensive comment in the first place.

Holly

I don't blame Brad for losing his cool. It is ridiculous that the paparazzi can stalk and taunt people 24-7. It is ludicrous that we expect celebrities to just "accept it" as the price of fame.