Broadway Not Aiken for Claymates Musical

8/15/2007 6:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An "American Idol"-themed musical inspired by Clay Aiken and his army of obsessive fans has gone up in smoke just one day after it went up in lights on a Broadway marquee. Did we mention it was about Clay Aiken obsessives?
Clay Aiken
"Idol: The Musical," billed as a satirical look at a troupe of Clay-mates from Ohio, opened two days ago at the 45th Street Theater, and promptly flopped like Clay's clammy hand on Kelly Ripa's mouth just a day later. The show's producer, Todd Ellis, said that he was shutting down the show because of a "lack of advance ticket sales, a lack of positive feedback from audience members and critics and a lack of sustainable financial resources." The rough English translation? It sucked real bad.

Backstage magazine called "Idol" "interminable, amateurish, headache-inducing," and that was just in the first paragraph of its review. Just for the record, neither Aiken nor "American Idol" the show were involved in the production.

mike

sucks for aiken...

first!

Spiratacus

Does Al Sharpton know?

AM NOT YOUR BITCH, BITCH.

i never did like this gay boy. he is annoying.

quin177@yahoo.com

Anything that even involves Idol or the Gayken will flop!!! it's a wrap for both.

L.S

Ha Ha Gay i mean Clay you suck anyway.....

L.S

# 7 thats wicked funny

Nick La what

I feel bad for anybody that put money into the flop. I mean everyone who did know about it, knew that it was going to fail. Who cares that much about Clay anyway. I guess now we see now how many care.

Maggie

I would have paid money for a ticket if Clay Aiken came out and admitted that he is a homosexual. Clay is so feminine that he makes Paris Hilton look butch.

L.A. Douchenozzle, Esq.

Clay Achin-For-Man-Meat as the subject for a Broadway musical?
Wasn't that the plot for "The Producers", make the worst show imaginable?
Another Idol failure.

Danielle

I just had to make a comment. Every time I see a picture of Clay I want to puke. He is the mafugliest person I have ever seen. Is he for real with that hairstyle? He should just go away!! Spare the world having to look at images of you. Lock yourself in a dark windowless room and never come out!!!

someone

Clay had nothing to do with that musical. And I don't know if Clay is gay or not, and really don't care...but what is the big deal about him coming out? If he is gay, he'll come out when hes ready!

Maddy

This played in Syracuse for a month and off, off Broadway for a month. It WAS amatuerish and fans that saw it agreed. Clay Aiken had nothing to do with this and himself found it embarrassing. And to all of you who are so certain of his sexuality..how do you know?? Because you believe all the crap in the tabloids? Because anyone who isn't screwing every tart in LA and drinking and drugging MUST be gay? How about a little respect for a man who is religious and charitable and good to his fans. Yes, I'm a fan and proud of it.

Mystery

Maddy, seriously, Clay is a fan of the sausage and no there is nothing wrong with that.

Maddy

I happen to like Clay and I'm a straight female. As for Idol:The Musical, if I hadn't received a free ticket, I would have demanded my money back. It was awful.

wellthenfine

LOL.

The joke is on the Clay and Clay fan haters. This play was taylor made for Clay haters, and they let it die on opening night.

There truly is justice in the world.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments