Mos Def-iant -- Rapper Knocks Around Photog

8/16/2007 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Another night in Hollywood, another celebrity skirmish.

TMZ cameras were rolling in front of Hyde nightclub last night, when outspoken rapper/actor Mos Def went face to face with a paparazzi who snapped his photo in front of the world famous celebrity hotspot. Pissed off that the photog wouldn't delete the shot, Mos first used his words to try and convince the guy to do what he wanted saying, "I'm not from around here" and "You're violating my space." That technique didn't pan out.

Just when it seemed that Mos was going to give up and walk away, one of the rapper's sneaky pals got behind the photog and tried to forcefully snatch the camera away. The photog, who ain't exactly a little guy, held on for dear life.

That's when Mos jumped in -- trying to grab the camera from the other side and jerking the snapper around, until he realized that the other cameras were recording the whole thing. Mos then ran up to the TMZ photog and explained, "I'm not trying to damage nuthin' ... I just want him to erase the photo. I'm not hurting him, I just want him to erase my photo and knock it off."

Obviously, the photog never deleted the shot.

wa wa waa

there is a disproportionate # of photographers posting here..the fat one has an extremely high voice for a big guy..

aSiF

#32 you're an ass! What a loser. I'm guessing you have a small.......opinion of yourself.

marie

Riiight....live the life of a monk.

Noto to photogs: If you get in people's faces, expect them to get back in yours.

Mos Def is not a low life, he is an excellent, talented actor. If you want get an idea of how talented, watch Something the Lord Made from HBO.

aSiF

Rosey, you tell em' - - proper grammer and spelling are very important on a site like this. I wonder if you've you've ever heard of run on sentenances or fragmented sentences??? Perhaps you could use a refresher yourself....or perhaps you could simply remember where you are and what you're reading. It must be awesome to sit on high!

Justice

Wow... I wonder how many people stereotype white celebrities when they punch/attack the pap? FYI... There are a plethora of rappers out there that don't talk about females and jewelery, they just don't get any radio/video play.

ALSO, I'm tired of hearing about "Gangster" rappers. Gangsta rap has been played out for years. Most mainstream rappers make club music that talks about dancing, money, cars, and unfortunately women. Watch MTV or BET and tell me how many "gangsta" rap videos you see. I guarantee you'll see ZERO!!!!! Listen to the radio and tell me how many "Gangsta" rap songs you hear. ZERO!!!

Democrats are evil

The slave trade is the worst thing that could have ever happened to this country. That immoral act of the past is going to ultimately destroy our society in our future.

Bi-Polar Hippie

I have heard of this guys music when I was younger but never really listened to it,.....but loved his part in "Hitchhikers guide,..fit the part perfect". I'd be pissed too if I were him.

Always keep your towel with you.......

The Truth

The negative stuff about rappers should stay in yo momma's room.

droplet

Looks like the big papz took a photo of Mos with his boyfriend. Can't be taking no pictures when Mos be on the down low!

ally

TMZ makes me sick, you guys are so ignorant and quick to sterotype evey black person. you guys are sad. And i hope your TV show fails too.

ohnoudient

I love Mos Def. Never saw him respond like that before. Paparrazi can really work a person's nerves though with their invading ppl's space. Some folks need security just to clear a line for them to walk. Mos is a gentleman most times.

U Know Who

Costamesaboy - Snoop doesn't act like a fool?

Are you completely serious right now?

Lemme see he TRIED and FAILED to sneak a weapon on an airplane, got busted. - Fool

Next he ONCE AGAIN did "Foolish" things at an airport and got BUSTED with WEED / GUNS / AND BLOW oh wait wait...AND A SECRET compartment in his car (That is a FEDERAL offense) well they all are since they all happened at an airport! - Fool

Then for the clincher he got BUSTED AGAIN with MORE BLOW outside The Tonight Show Studios - Fool

All of this within a few months of each other...yeah nope he does definitely NOT act foolish....

And what douche bags KNOWING all this about snoop LET HIM COACH THEIR KIDS?

Don't bother to answer I know who.....

And then onto Mos Def - I loved him in Hitchhikers guide.

BUT he has removed songs off later editions of one of his CD's as the lyrics were deemed anti-Semitic and homophobic ,not to mention anti-white. But that is okay ....

Max Sawdust!

X-MAN

I'm a photographer, and I've met Mos Def a bunch of times. I mostly cover rappers and R&B singers, so I've learned to always ask before I snap a photo when you see them on the street. When it's a red-carpet or event, it's fair game, but on the street, it's the right thing to do. I've never had a problem snapping Mos Def, but I did see one paparazzi guy get real agressive and Mos Def called him on it. Everyone deserves their personal space and shouldn't have a camera shoved into their face if they don't want. I've been at this for over 10 years, and have never been shoved or pushed (although bodyguards can be a problem sometimes).

I don't know if I would have deleted the pictures either, but that photographer was a chump who didn't even say anything back. Explain yourself or walk away, but don't stand there like an idiot. Act professional and you will be treated as such. Mos Def's friend was dead wrong and made the situation worse, but I clearly saw Mos Def trying to defuse the situation.

just me

It is amazing how some celebrities feel they have more of a right to privacy when they are in public than everyone else in public. Those celebrities who expect anonymity or to be unacknowledged in public has chosen the wrong occupation. They should choose a different occupation rather than clamor for suppression of recognition and censorship of photojournalists. Perhaps their desire for anonymity in public would have been better served if they chose a job driving a truck or a factory job. But clamoring for censorship of the Paparazzi is clamoring for suppression all photojournalists and censorship of the press. That ain't going to happen. Not is this nation. I hope!

U Know Who

Bodo- Not only that, but there are 986487735274527365472354 night clubs in the greater Los Angeles area, besides Hyde.

Also there are 98579387583458357957 places to eat that are NOT Mr.Chows or The Ivy.

When a "Celeb" goes to ANY of these KNOWN PAP hangouts, they do it on purpose, period no if's ands or buts. Hyde is a crappy nightclub at best, the food at Ivy is terrible AND waaay over priced, I'll take LaLa's over Ivy ANY day.

The celebs that don't want attention don't GET attention,because they DONT go to the Celebuwhore spots where the Pap Live! I hope Mos Def wont wanna "Acks" me for this...

Max Sawdust!