Mos Def-iant -- Rapper Knocks Around Photog

8/16/2007 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Another night in Hollywood, another celebrity skirmish.

TMZ cameras were rolling in front of Hyde nightclub last night, when outspoken rapper/actor Mos Def went face to face with a paparazzi who snapped his photo in front of the world famous celebrity hotspot. Pissed off that the photog wouldn't delete the shot, Mos first used his words to try and convince the guy to do what he wanted saying, "I'm not from around here" and "You're violating my space." That technique didn't pan out.

Just when it seemed that Mos was going to give up and walk away, one of the rapper's sneaky pals got behind the photog and tried to forcefully snatch the camera away. The photog, who ain't exactly a little guy, held on for dear life.

That's when Mos jumped in -- trying to grab the camera from the other side and jerking the snapper around, until he realized that the other cameras were recording the whole thing. Mos then ran up to the TMZ photog and explained, "I'm not trying to damage nuthin' ... I just want him to erase the photo. I'm not hurting him, I just want him to erase my photo and knock it off."

Obviously, the photog never deleted the shot.

U Know Who

Boomy - Are you kidding?

Of the "Famous" rappers, which BESIDES Mos Def and "Big Willie" DON'T Fit into said stereotype? They continually perpetuate the stereotype, it is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to not think negatively of rap guys. Unless of course you are yourself a complete douche bag,and find their antics amusing. I know I am not amused by beatings at Basketball courts, murdered bodyguards, club shootings..etc etc etc

Max Sawdust!

Miss Understood

Yo go Mos!!! Can't wait till your in the bay...ooooh!! is that today!!! Shoulda had your girls around to beat dey asses for ya!! ha!!!

Pete Marriott

As a Brooklynite myself I fully understand where my one of favorite recording artists/actor Mos Def is coming from. And with that I say "Beat him ras clot yes!" Beause that photographer knows the science that if a cat from Brooklyn has the good sense to ask you nicely to erase your shot of him or her that need to do that with the quickness because we don't play around when you invade our space like that.

Mos Def is not a thug or a gangster or hoodlum, he's one of the most provocative and incindary MC's of all time. His lyrics make you think beyond the typical rap stereotypes projected by the corporate owned mass media's masking of people with African roots.

What makes most of the grossly ignorant comments on this site humorous was it wasn't Mos Def that intiated the soft violence that took place it was his bodyguards and Mos just went in and broke it up. But due to the ignorance of the obviously stupid people making comments who successfully glossed over the man's request to have his picture deleted, Mos Def is now painted as a typical rap villian with titles such as "Gangster Rapper" or "Thug" or "Troublemaker".

So who is more stupid? The people that clearly didn't see the entire incident? or the L7's making snide remarks while sitting safely behind their computers like the cornball haters they are?

Which one are you?

Spurs

Which one are you?

Posted at 8:03PM on Aug 16th 2007 by Pete Marriott
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey dumbass, the bodyguards work for him. He should have informed them ahead of time that, if you are a celeb and you are coming across photogs, then chances are, they are going to take your picture. DUH!!!!! If you don't want your pic taken, then don't go where the paps hang out. He knew that, when he became a celeb, that he would be having his pics taken whether he liked it or not. No excuse for violence. He needs to learn to deal with it or get out of the business.

You're Talking Out Your....

So people on here who say rap is bad for degrading women, drugs, greed and violence. The grammar of most rappers is what you say kindergarten level correct? Every form of music in this country popular to this day has done the same. To those who say they don't listen to rap or hip hop, how in the hell do you know what they are saying in their lyrics if you don't listen. And if you're a fan of rock and metal than I guess you never really listen to their lyrics or watch their videos or movies. I just got finished watching The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years, very funny movie but it included everything that is said about rap. So please be fair, if you're not comparing this form of entertainment to church or what ever your faith type music is, don't be quick to label or judge. IT'S ENTERTAINMENT BITCHES....But Mos Def FRIEND was in the wrong

Derek Williams

I am admittedly biased. I don't like rappers. I think most of them are thugs and they promote thuggism. I do not like the obscene amount of money they make. I do not like the acting opportunities that come their way because of their fame as rappers. I do not like the fact that their marginal talent is so widely applauded.

I DO NOT LIKE MOS DEF!!!!

Petey

Look guys this is about Mos and papaz; and u are talking about his lyric and that he did that because he is a rapper or black...how many white movie star do samething that he did and they never been called 'they are white and movie stars that's why'...Stop connecting things.most of comment are pure stereotype...
i never heard...Paris hilton went to jail because she was white or Breitney cut her hair and went to rehab because she was white...stop judging people by using their race..
thnax..PT

Devin

"but most rap music is so destructive to the black community that blacks will standup for certain rappers even though he hurting young lives!!" -Lenn K

Lenn K, I see what you're saying but I have a problem with your comments....I get along with everyone and I am by no means a racist but do not start pointing fingers and people you don't know. If you really want to get technical.....White people have been destructive to ALL communities and have been since early centuries.....Just watch the "World" News.

chyna BK

I've met Mos Def before and he's a pretty cool dude. He deosn't mind you photographing him or even recording him on video for personal use as long as you ask his permission first. He actually let me record him for a project on a whim while walking in Tower Records some time ago. He even inquired about what kind of camera I was using and recorded me with it. He's a very reasonable and nice guy whom has been in the game a long time time to know the rules of being a celebrity. But he's still a regular person outside of the fame. Sometimes ur just not in the mood for people to just take without asking. Now what was so hard about asking if it was ok to take a pic?

krissa

at leas he's normal

Frost

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that in 2007 racism still exists especially when it comes to black celebrities in regards to this forum. But what I find most humorous is that the racists who post to this board care very little whether or not rap music is misogynistic, destroys the black community or is hateful. You use this forum to do the same things you accuse the rappers of doing such as spreading hate, misogyny, etc. If you want to give credence to your argument that all rappers are thugs at least due some research before you talk out of your ass on a subject. Mos Def is an accomplished actor, poet, musician & rap artist. The very least you can do is perform a google search on his accomplishments. But oh yeah most of you who post here are racist anyway & lack the intelligence to form an informed & rational decision about someone. You are spoon fed sound bites & 60 second video clips and think you know about the rap genre or for that matter Mos Def. Your racism & prejudice sickens me and if you can't find it in heart to change your ideology & racist doctrine then do yourself & the world a favor. Don't produce any offspring because the world needs to cleanse itself from the likes of you!!

Chad Sexington

Pete Marriott pretty much summed it up.

But I'll add an extra two cents. 85% of the replies have all been ignorant, "He's a thug!" comments. I've heard and read it all, and it's a shame that cowards hide behind forums like this and YouTube, but that's life.

What I have more of a problem with is the fact that people who frequent sites like these often have this sense of entitlement, like celebs or whatever should be fine with being photographed at all moments.

That is crap. Having a random person take a picture of you in a setting like that is a violation, and I can see (as a fellow New Yorker,) how that can be taken as disrespect. While Mos' friend/bodyguard/whatever probably shouldn't have escalated the matter, I totally can understand Mos' issue.

Feel free to continue with your veiled racial references, all.

big joe

mr. al sharpton , why are so many black people so mad. please tell us .

concerned white person

jaime

Have you ever heard a Mos Def CD?!?!!? Your crazy misinformed racist people who are addicted to oil.

A.E.

I think everyone who has listened to Mos's music knows he is switched on intelectual guy but I think he got it wrong here. He was trying to censor this pap while the guy was trying to make a living taking photos. Mos makes some bold statements about people in his music, does anyone think he should change those lyrics if the targets asked him to?
The pap should have defended his actions and explained what he was doing but he was probably crapping his pants and could only eek out "no" to Mos's questions

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments