Mel B's Man -- Scarier Than She Thinks?

8/21/2007 7:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown is proclaiming to the hills -- and Hello! magazine -- that her new hubby, Stephen Belafonte, isn't an "aggressive, violent, woman batterer" and that "papers" don't directly implicate Belafonte. But TMZ has obtained court documents that suggest otherwise.
Melanie Brown
According to the court docket from L.A. Superior Court from 2003, Belafonte was charged with -- and then pleaded no contest to -- "violnce [sic] used against spouse" as well as vandalism. The record shows that he originally pleaded not guilty, but then withdrew that plea to avoid jail time. The rest of the docket lays out a string of missed court appearances, arrest warrants -- and Belafonte's attendance in domestic violence counseling.

Still, Mel B's clearly giving Belafonte a free pass. "For him to seen as a wife beater," she tells Hello!, "is devastating for me because he's not -- he never has been." On the other hand, Eddie Murphy's baby mama seems to know that her new guy isn't exactly a paragon of virtue: "He hasn't been the best of people. I know everything that he's done. He went through group therapy and counseling, but he's fully aware of what he's done."

Stephen's ex Nicole Contreras apparently agrees as well. She issued the following statement this afternoon to TMZ: "Stephen Belafonte and I had a long relationship that ended mutually. Despite reports, there was never any physical violence involved in the relationship. We share a beautiful three year old daughter together and
are amicable."

Euromum

gwen0

Thank you so much for your comment. I truely hope Mel B does read it. I have learned a lot by reading it. Your point and warning does come throught.

I feel deeply sad for Mel B.
Come home Mel B the US is no place where you have a chance to be happy.

Kate

She is an idiot and deserves whatever is coming to her. She is straight up tacky by parading her newborn around town crying victim. She needs to grow and start taking responsibility for the decisions she has made in life.

Sillyme

So once he beats dumb ass Mel up, she survives it.. and maybe abuses her kids she might be inclined to believe the truth, and she's willing to risk that horrible event won't occur?

Joanna

don't you see the name is BRIAN belafonte, not stephen.

So

#35 is right. It says BRIAN not Stephen. What's up TMZ! Is this info right?

gwen

#33...I read your post and just wanted you to know that if your having issues or need any insite or help that I have been deep in the trenches of abuse and survived. I think I have a lot of insite and knowledge on their behaviors and how to escape. If you want to contact me..just ask for my email address and I will send it to you...if you are with someone who is abusive a great site that I read and learned a lot from was Heartless Bitches..there is a lot of information there about emotional abusers and their behaviors..Mel B. it wouldn't hurt you to check it out also..

She Looks Fabulous

Gwen0, #37

I just took a look at the heartless bitches website. Love it!

Just on a quick glance, this looks like a thinking woman's site.

Thanks for the tip.

gwen

To Befromeurope..

hi..I am so happy it is useful. There is so much more information out there..it is definately horrible to live our lives off balance because of the instability of another human. Until I started reading up on why my ex was so abusive I had no idea how to deal with it. The relationship was a horror I would never wish on my worst enemy as it is "soul changing" to deal with constant abuse, especially the emotional. Definately in my case knowledge was power..and I also read an article called the No Contact Rules..which changed my life...

littlebigmomma

Leave her alone....This is between her and the man she married not everyone else!

sweet reds

I hope that Mel will get her act together for her baby sake if not for her own. One minute she like girls next she gets married for a second, then she is running Eddie down to say he is the baby daddy, next she marries a man with a violent history. This is not a good place for a baby to be in. THINK GIRLFRIEND!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3