« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bill Murray: Marinated Swedish Meatball?

8/22/2007 11:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere ... Bill Murray could face a drunk driving charge ... in Sweden! Skal! Police spotted Murray cruising around downtown Stockholm in a -- wait for it -- golf cart!

Swedish cops say they stopped the 56-year-old Murray in the slow-moving vehicle and noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath. "He refused to blow in the (breath test) instrument, citing American legislation," the police told the AP. "So we applied the old method -- a blood test. It will take 14 days before the results are in." In the meantime, enjoy the lutefisk!

Murray, who had been at a golf tournament in Sweden, signed a document admitting that he was driving under the influence, and agreed to let a police officer plead guilty for him if the case goes to court (Yes judge, right away judge!).

Hmm ... we thought that in Sweden you weren't legally drunk until your eyes rolled to the back of your head. Who knew?

A rep for Murray did not immediately return a call for comment.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Melisa

Lutefisk is Norweigan A**hole, not Swedish!!!

Melisa

Lutefisk is Norweigan, not Swedish.

ajokko

wikipedia.no: Lutefisk nevnes første gang i norsk litteratur av Olaus Magnus i år 1555

wikipedia.se: Den äldsta notering som finns om svensk lutfisktradition är från Linköping och biskop Hans Brask, 1464 - 1538

Seems like its both, however more swedish than norwegian.

OnT: Sweden has a very low drink-driving limit, but unfortunately not much will happen if the police gets their hands on you. For a "mild" offence you´ll probably just get a fine and your license suspended. A little worse, a slap on the hand a short jail sentence, probably just a month on probation or something like that. If you´re really drunk, you´d probably go to jail for 3-6 months, and if you kill someone, most likely 12-24 months. A man who killed a grandmother and her 18 month old granddaughter was sentenced to 18 months in prison a few years back, and now he can take his driving license again. Sickens me...

So, based on that Murray was released and probably not even told to stay in the country, he was probably very close to the limit of 0,02% and therefor he´ll probably just get a fine.

Ty Webb

I think that Stockholm should clearly mark the golf course boundaries. I'm sure this isn't the first time that a celebrity has hit an errant shot and wandered off the course looking for his or her ball. I mean, those things cost money. Poor Bill must have gotten terribly thirsty looking for his ball all those hours, well into the night. Who can blame him if he slugged down a few refreshments to keep his strength up. If challenged in court, the case will be dropped. Citing U.S. law in Sweded is an added genius touch. I'm sure that really endeared him to the local police. Speaking English probably helped a lot too. While this is no Cinderella story, it certainly has the makings for a decent movie. I'm already working on the script. I think I'll cast Matt Damon as Bill. Unfortunately, Bill is just not right for the part.

bb

This is the first and only time that Bill Murray has made me laugh. The guy has no talent but I do appreciate his mode of transport. Also, testing out at probably 8x the legal limit is worth some accolades. I was over there a few weeks ago and even though dwi is on par with rape in Sweden I'd bet even money that his bar tab from that night will exceed his legal costs.

notaceleb

Hey Melisa #31 and #32, you're not so bright yourself, since you posted your incorrect spelling of the word, "Norwegian," as, "Norweigan," twice in a row. So, next time, before you go calling somebody an , "A**hole" in public, if I were you, I'd invest in a good American language dictionary and read it. It'll make your case that much stronger.

notaceleb

Why does TMZ constantly "F...over" those who post on this site? Melisa #31 had just posted an incorrect post twice in a row; so, the post was #31 and #32. After I saw the ridiculous posts twice I commented. But, as soon as I was posted, the original #32 was yanked, and #33 was replaced as #32. If it's not this, TMZ is deleting my posts or moving them around to other spots in the article post.

Andreas

So you are saying that all swedes are alcoholics? at least we don´t try and kill our celebs like you do. Morons...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3