« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Falcons Won't Sack Vick

8/27/2007 1:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Atlanta Falcons won't cut Michael Vick -- he's just too damn valuable. Well, at least his contract is.
Michael Vick
In a press conference, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said that while he's "profoundly disappointed and saddened" by Vick's action, the team is not willing to throw Vick to the dogs.

"We cannot tell you today that Michael is cut from the team," said Blank. "It may feel better emotionally, but it's not in the long term best interest of our franchise."

Blank added, "If we had any idea this was going on ... we would have dealt with it immediately."

Story developing ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Diana Baker

Who cares about the team - it is just only a game! How about the lives of the dogs that felt the pain of being treated like they were. How about the way they were killed just because they did not play the game the way 'he' wanteda them too. Too much is placed on the 'importance' of the game of foot ball. There are more important things in this world and how we relate to it and all its beings.

meenster

The reason the Falcons have kept Vick on the roster in strictly financial. Under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, in order for the Falcons ownership to recoup the 22 million dollars they are entitled to since Vick violated his contract, the player in question must be on the roster.

meat_arian

THE OWNER IS NOT A STUPID MAN ..HE KNOWS THAT VICK TOOK HIS TEAM TO

THE PLAYOFFS ; AND RIGHT NOW THE TEAM IS A BUNCH OF NOBODYS;

THE LAST THING THE OWNER WANTS TO SEE IS VICK COME BACK AND BRING

EXCITEMENT TO ANOTHER CITY. IF HE WAS A KICKER OR A SUCK PLAYER

THEY WOULD CUT TIES LONG AGO.

CLF

Nice to see money is more important than morals and ethics. If the big companies like NIKE can take a hit and not support M. Vick, than I think you can take a loss as well. Will never in the future support the Falcons, so you already have lost financially. Maybe millions will follow my lead.

Ginger

I think Michael Vick is sincere in his apology, but I am not convinced that he understands why he should be sorry. As I sit here looking at my 3 Shih Tzu's I can't help but think "what if" they had been used as a bait dog for dogfighting? Obviously something in Michael is missing and I personally hope that it is "Jesus" as he contends. My husband and I have idolized Michael Vick's football abilities for the past seven years from our living room in Atlanta. I guess this year we can visit the Georgia Aquarium on Sundays and stop by the Home Depot on the way home to pick up some supplies for some overdue home improvement. God bless you Authur Blank. I commend you for recognizing that "One bad apple, don't spoil the whole bunch".

Ginny in Georgia

Biggene

What wrong with the people. Don't you see the picture. People think just because they become famous they could do what ever they want and say sorry went they get caught. This is my comment to them "Think first before you do any stupid" dumb a**

Hope

A person who cares more about a stupid animal rather than a human being is sick and was brought up poorly..animal lovers are control freaks at the core..'sit dog" "I am you master"..whatever, you sick bunch of control freak loosers.

TrimSpa Baby

#47 Thanks for the clarification.

gingergirl

This will send a message to the rest of the professional sports figures and children who lookup to these criminals, that it will be ok to commit the same crimes. I hear his mother, said that he has found God, I didn't know God, was lost. Did he find God while he was torturing and murdering dogs?

Ripley

I am very disappointed! Did you get the feeling Michael Vick is really sorry for himself and not the dogs he helped to slaughter???? I think ALL players, coaches and even the head of the football commission in the NFL should be MADE to watch a full length dog fight from beginning to end! Then they can watch how the dogs are killed.....maybe they will get the message of how disgusting this really is....it is always about the money with these guys...I would have liked for Michael to say he would be helping educate fellow thugs and help to shut down the dog fighting industry! Maybe he can talk to God about that since he has found Jesus. Oh yea, I would also like to see Rapper DMX (another animal curelty case to watch) and Michael Vick fight to the death.... Lastly Michael, stop referring to yourself in the third person.... I may be able to forgive you if you help the animals!

~k

Dear Sweet Ana,

School? S-c-h-o-o-l. Good girl. Hence: you vs your; loser vs looser. Look 'em up ;)

~k

Jen

Ana - I feel sorry for you, and I hope one day you are drowning, or trapped somewhere and the only way for anyone to find you (including your precious mother, who obviously is as idiotic as you - genetics you know) is to have a search and resuce dog locate you...then you can say - NO, I don't like dogs, leave me here to die instead - that's the way my brain works!!! Oh, and by the way, I volunteer at a soup kitchen once a month, and I volunteer for a shelter for battered women and children, providing clothes and food. Just because someone has an affinity for dogs, doesn't mean that they don't feel the same compassion for humans - at least humans with heart.

Michelle in Panama City, FL

1) The story was posted because there are many, many people who are emotional, I for one, about this issue. TMZ gets hits on their website, their advertisers are happy, they get paid. How many other 'news' blips have they put up have received this many comments this quickly? This is their job. So be it.

2) I would think that Michael Vick's breach of contract would nulify any of the regular modes of operation for terminating a player. If this is truly what Atlanta has to do to recoup some of their money, then so be it. But you can count on this; if Atlanta doesn't take their course of action and quickly, if I ever see Vick on a football field, even if it's on the sidelines as a 'guest of the team', if I ever see a product endorsed by him, or if a sports network picks him up as an announcer, I will boycott in a micro-second. It's obvious from all of the posts on the internet that there is a large voice of people crying out about this. If we can continue to remember the horror we feel today, we can make a difference when this all pans out.

3) Ana, seriously, why don't you take it somewhere else? Are you related to him or something? Do you like to be in the center of controversy? Or is this just a weak attempt at garnering some attention for yourself? I donate clothes two times a year to charity. I'm pretty sure they don't go to dogs. I donated to Katrina relief, as did most of the people on this board, I'm sure. I am sponsoring a child 'living' in Kenya, if you can call what the conditions in Kenya right now livable, through CFF. And yes, I work with a cat rescue group and a greyhound rescue group. What have YOU done lately, besides purposely draw attacks from people who feel passionately about a subject matter? Yes, they were dogs. Go to Youtube. Watch some of the videos that depict what these animals had to go through. I forgive your ignorance and I apologize for whatever happened to you personally to make you so angry. Obviously it was very bad and has left a deep scar. But that does not negate you from learning to sympathize with others, even if they are 'just dogs'.

Kris

Of course not...money is all that matters...does this come as a surprise to anyone???

BigDog62